What is your Home Defense Rifle? - Page 7

What is your Home Defense Rifle?

This is a discussion on What is your Home Defense Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just something to think about, gentlemen..... A pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle. A rifle in a pistol caliber is just ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: What is your Home Defense Rifle?

Just something to think about, gentlemen.....

A pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle. A rifle in a pistol caliber is just a long barreled pistol.

Carbines in rifle calibers are the most effective defensive weapon. An AR-15 is a great defensive weapon. If I have a choice, that will be the weapon that I pick up when the goblins invade.

As Clint Smith says,"If you know you're going to be in a gunfight, bring a magazine fed rifle and several friends with rifles. If no rifle is available, bring a 12 gauge shotgun with 00 Buckshot. If no shotgun is available, bring a pistol, preferably one whose caliber starts with a '4'."

I'm aware that my 9mm AR15 is "just a long barreled pistol." Just to be clear, I'm not being a smartass, I'm agreeing.

My orginal post* was much longer, and explained why I'm using it as my HD rifle. My orginal post also had a tone that may lead to a flamefest, which is why you're reading this one instead.

In short, I'll say that given the circumstances, I'm using the best available tool for the job.

*Just so that we dont have guys going back to my first reply in this thread, by "original post," I mean the post your reading now
    Last edited by Zach S; October 10th, 2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Painless View Post
    Just something to think about, gentlemen.....

A pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle. A rifle in a pistol caliber is just a long barreled pistol.

"

I don't intend this to be inflamatory, but I somewhat disagree with the above assertion. If the above is totally assumed to be accurate, then the configuration of a weapon is based on bullet type alone, hence a pistol in a rifle caliber would still be considered a rifle?

Maybe we should not have brought carbines into a rifle discussion because it muddied the waters? But is a 30/30 carbine not a rifle? Is a .44 carbine with an 18" barrel a rifle or a pistol?

I can shoot something accurately at 100 yds or more, with a .357 carbine (handgun caliber) moreso than a .223 pistol (rifle caliber).

I think of a rifle as a shoulder fired weapon, firing a single slug from a rifled barrel, (not to include shotgun Slugs) capable of effectively engaging targets at distances of at least 100yds regardless of ammo configuration. I would tend to think that the fact that it is designed to be mounted on the shoulder, and the capability of the weapon to be employed effectively at greater distances would be the deciding factor, not ammo type. Maybe I'm wrong? Just my2cents.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

OD*
    Good points SgtD.

You can muddy the waters more if you consider the the 32/20 (32WCF), 38/40 (38WCF) and 44/40 (44WCF) were developed and introduced in rifles by Winchester. Colt later chambered their SAA for them.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    I think of a rifle as a shoulder fired weapon, firing a single slug from a rifled barrel, (not to include shotgun Slugs) capable of effectively engaging targets at distances of at least 100yds regardless of ammo configuration.
    I tend to agree on that sgtD tho this is a realm where semantics can creep in too

My distinguishing factor would be ''high velocity'' - which some folks use as their only base line to describe a rifle. Thus, a pistol cal carbine is still to me a rifle but ''low velocity'', and yet capable of extended ranges, albeit not stretching out as far as the high velocity rifle, and naturally not packing the same punch!.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

AR-15 with a 30 round mag ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I don't intend this to be inflamatory, but I somewhat disagree with the above assertion. If the above is totally assumed to be accurate, then the configuration of a weapon is based on bullet type alone, hence a pistol in a rifle caliber would still be considered a rifle?

Maybe we should not have brought carbines into a rifle discussion because it muddied the waters? But is a 30/30 carbine not a rifle? Is a .44 carbine with an 18" barrel a rifle or a pistol?

I can shoot something accurately at 100 yds or more, with a .357 carbine (handgun caliber) moreso than a .223 pistol (rifle caliber).

I think of a rifle as a shoulder fired weapon, firing a single slug from a rifled barrel, (not to include shotgun Slugs) capable of effectively engaging targets at distances of at least 100yds regardless of ammo configuration. I would tend to think that the fact that it is designed to be mounted on the shoulder, and the capability of the weapon to be employed effectively at greater distances would be the deciding factor, not ammo type. Maybe I'm wrong? Just my2cents.
    No problem.

I don't disagree with you. When I said "rifles in pistol calibers", I was primarily talking about rifles chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and the like. Once you get to very high powered pistol calibers, there is less difference.

But my point is that rifle rounds tend to be much more powerful than standard pistol calibers, even if those pistol calibers are fired from a long barreled carbine.

When you shoot stuff with a common pistol round and then shoot it with an AR15, there is no comparison. Rifles firing rifle rounds are much more powerful.

If goblins are trying to hurt me or mine, I want the best available round and best availabe platform. In my opinion, that is a magazine-fed rifle, like the AR15.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Painless View Post
    But my point is that rifle rounds tend to be much more powerful than standard pistol calibers, even if those pistol calibers are fired from a long barreled carbine.
    Agreed!

Tastefully clarified. I will say again, that's why I hang out on this site and not the others.

Thanks.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I've got to admit that this "civility" is one of the things that has attracted me to this site, and has kept me coming back in recent days. It's a breath of fresh air, after reading some threads posted on other forums. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good debate every now and then, but I also appreciate people discussing respectable topics, in a respectable manner.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

A 16 guage, model 37, ultra-lite , 22" barrelled, english stocked, American made Ithaca... with #4 buckshot.

well.............

Though I have a tricked out Bulgarian AK....its a bit too much for 'house defense' in an urban environment. A semi-retired Colt 1911 has that honor, if I do not grab my daily carry...a Colt CCO first. Have mags for the .45 stashed in several locations.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jercam...e2.jpg&.src=ph

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links