HD shotgun sights and flashlight mount

This is a discussion on HD shotgun sights and flashlight mount within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased my first shotgun the other day. A Mossberg 500. 12gauge, 18.5 inch barrel with installed heatshield. It came with just a front bead ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HD shotgun sights and flashlight mount

HD shotgun sights and flashlight mount

I purchased my first shotgun the other day. A Mossberg 500. 12gauge, 18.5 inch barrel with installed heatshield. It came with just a front bead sight. I have a couple issues I wanted to get input on. The front sight will work fine for me, but I kind of wanted to get a "nicer" sight. Mayber a good set of iron sights or even a good, reliable red dot. I am still looking for a good one that is reliable but won't cost too much. Of course, on the other end of the spectrum, I don't want some cheap piece of junk that one would put on an airsoft rifle.
    I also wanted a good flashlight and flashlight mount. The 500 came with a heatshield on it and I like it because I would prefer to not burn my hand on a hot barrel. But if I don't remove it then there is no room to put a flashlight holder on the magazine tube. Anyone else have a problem like this? Any input or clever ideas? Thanks in advance for looking and helping.

2. Remove Ads

No heat shield, so no similar problem. A Mini-mag is sufficient light for my needs. Sights, depends on what you want and what you want to spend. I have an MMC ghost ring, allows hits to 100 yds and beyond, but is spendy.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It isn't cheap, but this Elzetta Mossberg Shotgun Light Mount is a beautiful piece of hardware. I'm going to replace the simple bracket mount I'm using with this one.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The heatshield isn't strictly necessary. You'll learn quickly to avoid touching the barrel.

Replacement beads with night sight Tritium or fiber optic rods are cheap at Brownells dot com, IIRC the Mossberg bead is 5-40 thread. Easy upgrade to do yourself and they make a big difference over the stock part.

And I would rather have a light mount than a heat shield on the gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Check out Primary Arms for a red dot. Myself I would replace the front bead and put a ghost ring on it.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

DefConGun likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The heatshield isn't strictly necessary. You'll learn quickly to avoid touching the barrel.
    Agreed. Unless you're shooting trap or skeet, chances are your barrel isn't going to get that hot. Besides... there's no TTP (training, tactic, practice) I'm aware of that has you handling a shotgun barrel.

For defense work, keep it simple... ghost ring or other high-visibility sight, and a white light. Even for indoors I'd go with 65 lumens or better (Streamlight, Surefire, etc.).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'd practice with the bead first. If it's no good then Mossberg sells a nice set of ghostrings for around 65 bucks. I'd ditch the heat shield. I've never owned a shotgun with one and really think they are (for civilians) a gimmick.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Once upon a time, I thought putting a heat shield on my 500 Persuader was a good idea, it lasted for about 20 rounds, when I realized it got in the way of cycling the action more than anything. It looked cool, but had a negative impact on the functioning of the weapon.

Meprolight does sell a Tritium bead for the 500.

As for light mounts, I just ordered one of these: Nordic Components Magazine Extension Tube Barrel Clamp with Picatinny Rail 12 Gauge Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

and am pretty excited to try it out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

RKM
    A friend of mine got one of those Tru-Glo snap on fiber optic bead sights. It's pretty nice. I'd get one for mine, but can't find it in green. I did have a light mount, but I gave it to my friend. I bought a universal 4" picatinny rail and attached it to the pump so the light is on the pump itself, within easier reach. The light I have is a TLR-1. Easy switch manipulation, which is why I like the TLR series of lights so much. Have a TLR-2 on my USP and another TLR-1 on my AR15.

Ok. Taking your guys' advice I tool the heat shield off. I plan on getting a Laserlyte Tri-Rail Mount, a universal flashlight mount by UTG, and I bought a Maglite XL-50 today (I really like it so I plan on getting another for the shotgun). For the sight, maybe I said the wrong thing. I tend to use red dot and reflex sight interchangeably. So what I'm looking for is a good reflex sight that won't crap out on me from being used on a 12g shotgun, preferably around $50 if that is reasonable for a good reflex sight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    , preferably around $50 if that is reasonable for a good reflex sight.
    No it is not reasonable. A GOOD sight is going to cost at least $200 (Burris Fast Fire). The mounting rail for a sight will cost more than $50.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD7 View Post
    Ok. Taking your guys' advice I tool the heat shield off. I plan on getting a Laserlyte Tri-Rail Mount, a universal flashlight mount by UTG, and I bought a Maglite XL-50 today (I really like it so I plan on getting another for the shotgun). For the sight, maybe I said the wrong thing. I tend to use red dot and reflex sight interchangeably. So what I'm looking for is a good reflex sight that won't crap out on me from being used on a 12g shotgun, preferably around $50 if that is reasonable for a good reflex sight.
    Primary Arms Micro Tactical Green Dot Reflex Sight - NEW!
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I have an AIM red dot not to be confused with an Aimpoint on my shotty. You can find them for $50 to $100. It has held zero just fine with any load I have used, including 3 inch magum rounds. It was my first red dot sight on a shotgun to see if I liked it. I do and will be switching to an Aimpoint Micro because I like the always on option due to its five year battery life. For my flashlight holder I have a MAKO T-Grip it's trigger on/off switch is intuitive requiring no extra movement to activate. Simply grab the shotty squeezing the trigger and the light is on. It also makes it easy to cycle through my Novatac's high low strobe functions. IMO dollar for dollar NovaTac makes the best high lumen / tactical flashlights there is. The one thing about the MAKO T-Grip is you need to add a small washer or you can drill though the grip with the screw that holds the flashlight on. Also some loctite is also good idea. Other than that both have worked flawlessly for me for about three years and several thousand rounds. I think the forward grip helps reduce muzzle rise and speeds cycling rounds. The red dot really makes for fast target acquisition. Combined with the KNOXX now BLACKHACK stock the improvement to my speed and accuracy have been nothing short of astounding.
    Attached Images
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links