Coming soon...The MKA 1919, AR-15 style 12 guage shotgun - Page 3

Coming soon...The MKA 1919, AR-15 style 12 guage shotgun

This is a discussion on Coming soon...The MKA 1919, AR-15 style 12 guage shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Hmmm... I understand detachable box magazines for rifles - even with a higher capacity, the mags are still manageable in size. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Hmmm...

I understand detachable box magazines for rifles - even with a higher capacity, the mags are still manageable in size. For larger shotguns shells, however, I'm still not convinced that detachable box mags are the way to go. I just cannot see a civilian defensive scenario where you would need more than 6-8 shells, and where you wouldn't have the time to top off your mag tube (which is something you cannot do with a detachable box mag). I'm also concerned over the possible deformation of plastic shot shells when stored for long periods of time in a vertical mag - they just weren't made for that.

I'm even starting to really appreciate the lever gun and its tube mag - no need to carry around spare mags, make sure they all will feed properly, etc. All you need is spare ammo in a bag of some kind. Simple.

Sure, for an all-out zombie attack, I can see needing the firepower, but that's just not too likely.

In any case, thanks for posting. Looks interesting, and the price seems reasonable too. I'm willing to be convinced that I "need" this...
    Your post got me thinking. How viable would a .410 (or even a 28 gauge) version of a shotgun such as this be for defense? You lose a lot of your pattern and downrange weight, but the mags would become more managable and the increased firepower would be an asset. With some of the modern loads that were developed for the Judge, it could be a good weapon. I would think you would have to change your mentality when using it to more like a short-range carbine than an actual shotgun.

I'm not a fan of anything under 20 gauge in a shotgun for self defense. I'm also not a fan of the Judge - with its short barrel, I don't think the .410 loads will reach the vitals on a human. It's been discussed at length, so I don't want to derail this thread.

Smaller shells would allow more ammo capacity in a detachable mag-fed shotgun, but given that a shotgun is a low pressure firearm (it has to be, due to the thin barrel) I think smaller shells do not have enough momentum (individual shot weight x velocity) to get to the vitals. Just my thoughts.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Your post got me thinking. How viable would a .410 (or even a 28 gauge) version of a shotgun such as this be for defense? You lose a lot of your pattern and downrange weight, but the mags would become more managable and the increased firepower would be an asset. With some of the modern loads that were developed for the Judge, it could be a good weapon. I would think you would have to change your mentality when using it to more like a short-range carbine than an actual shotgun.
    We have an AR styled .410 laying around the shop, belomgs to one of the guys, I'm not sure what brand it is. I remember that it has real AR fire control parts though. With good new ammo it would work for the recoil sensitive shooter. I'll have to see what that thing is.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links