Looking for AR-15 info

Looking for AR-15 info

This is a discussion on Looking for AR-15 info within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking into getting an AR-15. so far I have used a couple recent threads as a point of reference. Is there anyplace else ...

Thread: Looking for AR-15 info

Looking for AR-15 info

I am looking into getting an AR-15. so far I have used a couple recent threads as a point of reference. Is there anyplace else I can get some good info?

I have been on m4carbine.net but a lot of it seems like people bashing each other. Also, they say a product is good or not yet fail to explain why. (Maybe they have stickies I missed.)

I just need a place for objective information about the topic. I want it to be my defensive long gun so I would like to get something quality. Also, don't want to end up with worthless add-ons. Hence my need for information.

I am not an LEO or anything like that, but would really just like one solid rifle that will last. Maybe be able to use it for some classes down the road.

You missed a lot then on m4carbine. It's a no nonsense site. AR15 is more for fanboys but has a ton of great info of you can sort through it. M4c tries to stop the nonsense immediately.

To sum it all up though, a Bravo Co, Noveske, Colt, Knight's Armament Daniel Defense and LMT will all be everything you could want in a reliable AR.

You can take a chance with a Bushmaster or RRA, for example, but they skimp here and there and the risk of broken parts is greater. If you look through my posts you'll find detailed explanations. You'll find them all over m4c eith a proper search as well. Parts are not just parts, they are not all equal and there's no need to settle for one that $100 less whether you shoot 500+ rounds a week or 500 rounds a year.

You can get a nice Bravo Co middy for about a grand, same goes for Daniel Defense and Colt, though Colt doesn't offer mid length gas systems.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I picked up my first AR about 6 months ago, a Colt 6920. I spent alot of time reading on both m4carbine and ar15 - both have good info. I'd recommend the Colt for a good first rifle to learn the platform on.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You will have to wait for some of the quality makers, for instance, Bravo Company has suspended orders until summer.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    You will have to wait for some of the quality makers, for instance, Bravo Company has suspended orders until summer.
    Not necessarily. Grant at gandrtactical.com has 16" middy lightweight uppers now and the other day had lowers. Daniel Defense and Noveske can both be had today as can Knight's Armament.

Bravo Co suspended taking orders until the end of May, and we're almost there.

Any day of the week I can find a Colt or KAC without much trying, same goes for Noveske. BCM and DD are a little harder, but they're out ther if you look, BCM being the hardest to find.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I was looking at those BCMs. Was thinking about doing that with a basic stock and handguard, and changing those out with time.

Could get the nice rifle and determine accessory needs later on.

RKM
    I love my M&P15. It's not quite a Noveske, BCM etc. but It's, I think, a nice mid-range rifle that gets the job done. I have a few thousand rounds downrange with mine and I'm nothing but satisfied. Any malfunction it ever had was man-made due to friend not seating the mag correctly. When you do your part, it does it's part. I bought it for $999.95 which was a great deal seeing as though the MSRP on my model (M&P15X) is nearly $1400.

See, that's what gets me there. $1,000 (well, $1,400 which is quite a bit more than the BCM) for a S&W when you can get a BCM Middy with a Magpul MOE hand guard, grip and stock, cold hammer forged 1:7 barrel, M16 (f/a) bolt carrier, high quality lower parts kit and an H buffer.

I don't dislike S&W, but if it's the same price as a Bravo Co, get the Bravo Co.

BCM may be it. I saw the DDM4 for 1400 as well as some noveskes. I just cant rationalize the extra $300. Is the DDM4 worth the couple hundred more, or go ammo and mags?

M4carbine is giving me some info. Just had to sift through a few threads to get a feel for the forum.

I bought an LMT (Lewis Machine and Tool some time back. I also have a department issue Colt M4 and an Olympic arms AR15. All three are good. I would put them in the following order 1. LMT, 2. Colt, 3. Olympic Arms. Now I only mention these because these are all I've owned or been issued. The only rifle of the three I've had a jam on was the Olympic Arms, but that was an ammunition failure not the rifle (Russian Ammo, forgot what type). This Oly was greatly improved over the first Oly I owned several years ago when I bought a CAR15. The gas key worked loose while firing and almost caused a major failure in my face. This newer Oly is properly staked. The LMT stake job looks good as does the colt and neither rifle has ever malfunctioned. The LMT has a 16 inch barrel which I like better than the Colt's shorter 14 1/2 barrel; but that's just me.
    Don't settle for something less, even if that means waiting to make a purchase. Go do your homework, handle these weapons and shoot them if possible. At the end of the day you won't regret it.

As others have said, M4carbine.net prefers a high signal to noise ratio. jonconsiglio is right on with his advice, also keep in mind that by purchasing an upper and lower separate, you save 11% by not having to pay the excise tax. Grant at G&R Tactical has assembled lowers for $299, slap on a BCM, LMT, etc upper and you're set.

Sponsored Links