What does the average guy do with an AR?

This is a discussion on What does the average guy do with an AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; since you asked what the average guy will do with an AR-15 style rifle Id have to say 1: get extra magazines 2: get ammo ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What does the average guy do with an AR?

since you asked what the average guy will do with an AR-15 style rifle Id have to say
    1: get extra magazines
    2: get ammo
    3: make it your own, buy adding accessories you like ( sights, lights, rails)
    4: buy more extra magazines because you realise that more is better,

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Shoot the heck out if it. Its fun.
    In a SHTF scenario, you need a rifle first and a pistol second.

Every American should own an AR.

Buy one just to tick off the antigun liverals.

LIVERAL= livid liberal. Liberals get livid when you own a black military looking "assault rifle".

If for no other reason, own one for that reason alone.
    sweet jephus yes!

Shoot it, shoot it some more, buy some stuff to make it look cool, shoot it some more, buy some more stuff to make it look cooler, buy nothing but magpul pmags because you tell yourself the work better (but really they look cooler), shoot it, buy more stuff to replace the first stuff you bought because this stuff matches and it looks awesome and you tell your self your rifle is complete, shoot it, buy more stuff that you forgot the last time...get the idea? oh I forgot buy a second one and set it up as a dmr and then reconfigure your first one as an entry rifle.
    IMG_0184.JPGIMG_0181.JPG
    bigdog44 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    190260_190877297617897_100000868843766_471362_7619081_s.jpg165055_170778229627804_100000868843766_354849_4923198_n.jpg198904_190877244284569_100000868843766_471361_5729363_s.jpgOp, for your purposes and I kind of get the impression since you are trying to justify the funds it isn't something you really have the funds for and are trying to find a real reason to buy one. If that is the case I would suggest going out and getting a Romanian built AK-47. Here are the reasons I would pick an AK over an AR for your needs. AK's are generally cheaper to buy, maintain, and run. For example I just went out and spent 150 bucks on 350 rounds of 7.62, 50 rounds of .44 mag, 20 shotgun slugs, 150 shot shells, and a speedloader. Thats all together. 5.56 is easily twice the cost of 7.62 and it is a round with much less power. AK rifles also run usually 3-400 dollers cheaper for an entry level AK than an entry level AR. They make them in pistol size, underfolders, sidefolders, solid stock, thumbstock and pistol grip configs stock. AR's you get collapsible, or solid. AR's do have more options, but they are also more expensive to customize. AK's have more maintainability when you need to keep them firing and cannot find or buy cleaning accessories. They are less picky with what you feed them also. My romainian AK cost me 475 with an underfold stock. AK mags are also about 15 bucks cheaper than AR mags, especially the polymer tacticool mags. I personally think AK's are more fun than AR's to shoot even at the cost of some pinpoint accuracy. I can still put my target at 100 yards and put a mag into a 4 inch hole. I put a one point sling onto my AK and would grab it over an AR any day and I will be buried with one in my casket just in case of zombies.

On a side note, if money is not a problem, go with a S&W M&P rifle. I love the looks of those and they feel great in my hands. Either way you go a black rifle is not really a "need" in todays society, but their fun to have and shoot, a great conversation piece, and like a classic car everytime you open the door to the safe, you get that "ahhhhhhhh, pretty" feeling when you look in the garage. I don't know if you noticed but I may be somewhat biased against AR's lol. I'll post a pic of my AK.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

RKM
    I have my AR primarily for fun. It's fun to shoot and very accurate. Also serves as a great defensive rifle for the worst possible scenario you can think of. I keep mine loaded with 75gr TAP. Not my primary, go to firearm for simple home defense (is home defense ever simple?), but it's there if needed.

I really prefer a handgun for clearing a house, though, if you're not trained to clear a house (I'm not) it'd be a stupid thing to do. But if I was forced to for whatever reaosn, I'd choose my USP to clear the house. If I'm staying put, have nowhere to go and I'm forced to wait for danger to find me, I'm grabbing my Mossberg 500.

I have my AK loaded with soft point ammo. The chances of me ever even considering it for self defense is VERY slim. It's basically an extra for another family member if the house is ever invaded by aliens (and I don't mean illegal ones.... ok, well those too....). The AK's primary purpose is because I think they're just cool and wanted one. No other reason :)

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I'm guessing what the OP was referring to was the high power, or velocity, of the round used in this weapon & the likelyhood that anything (body) that you hit would likely be perforated...leaving the round to continue on its merry way. In a small home configuration, I can see where the using the AR15 would have me concerned for anyone or anything else in the home.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own a lot of firearms....way way more than I need. Why, just because I can and I love firearms, all types, yours, mine and everybody's. Most are purchased by me because I just want to own them and shoot them, its really that simple. I have several AR, and AK's for that matter. Like they say, better to have and not need than need and not have. And they are just plain fun to own.

Buy one and shoot the heck out of it. And if the SHTF you are well armed.

Joy of ownership, plain and simple
    bigdog44 likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    I'm guessing what the OP was referring to was the high power, or velocity, of the round used in this weapon & the likelyhood that anything (body) that you hit would likely be perforated...leaving the round to continue on its merry way. In a small home configuration, I can see where the using the AR15 would have me concerned for anyone or anything else in the home.
    Actually from all that I've read, because of the rounds tendancy to yaw and break up once it contacts something, 5.56 out of an ar is actually much safer than a pistol to surrounding houses and even other rooms in a house.

I have an AR...it is one of the most versatile rifle platforms in the world. I use a few pistols and a 12 ga shotgun to defned my home. My AR will shoot thinks way far off or clear a building or house in a CQB environment. I see it as my "medium" rifle. It is 5.56/223 and will shoot far out wont kill an elephant but will drop a whitetail or a two legged critter. I have a bolt gun in .270 for my really long shots and go to accuracy gun for allaround game hunting.

The AR is a cool thing. Probably one of the most well documented and supported rifle platforms in the world as far as accessories and add ons. Bottom line is if you want one,,,get it in any flavor you see fit and bolt on or mount any tool you think is useful or just plain looks cool and enjoy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nothing Says stay out like...

An AR-15 slung over your shoulder while waiting for FEMA to come inspect your storm damaged house. After Hurricane Andrew only the well armed kept the riff raff out of the neighborhood.
    TVJ, Chaplain Scott and TheGiant like this.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

Great comments in this thread. AR's are just plain fun! Mine sees a lot of range time and thousands of rounds down range. They can be a simple point and shoot rifle or they can become a super project as some here have shown in their very nice pictures. They are versatile and as said just plain fun to shoot. Go shoot one with a friend and see what happens. Purpose or not you will want one. Once purchased the purposes will appear.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Op, for your purposes and I kind of get the impression since you are trying to justify the funds it isn't something you really have the funds for and are trying to find a real reason to buy one.
    No, not really. While the ~$1000 for the initial gun (before sights and stuff) isn't a small amount of money, I can afford it. I guess I'm just acknowledging that while I can swing the money, its not a small amount and would just like to make sure I have it right in my mind why I might be getting one and what I would use if for before I jump in with both feet.

On a side note, if money is not a problem, go with a S&W M&P rifle.
    That's actually the one I'm looking at. My range can get me a good deal on them and I'm be happy to give them the business.

I love the looks of those and they feel great in my hands. Either way you go a black rifle is not really a "need" in todays society,
    And, I'm not planning on getting an all black one.

I shoot mine quite a bit, far superior to handguns. In my opinion every family should have at least one. If you do buy one, ammo and mags should be your primary concern even before an optic. I have a Eotech and Aimpoint T1, but those can fail you so practice up using your irons ( you will be surprised how far you can reach out and touch someone with iron sights). I keep mine in my trunk and the sole purpose of my handgun is to fight my way to my rifle then its zombie kill fest

p.s. no front buis due to back order
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Administrator
    Snareman, let me help you out. The others have given you their reasons for owning an AR. Let me tell you how to find your reasons for owning an AR.

First, do a lot of research prior to purchase. M4carbine.net is a great resource. Do not be one of those guys who walks in to his local gun shop and wastes his money on whatever they have in the rack. Pick your rifle carefully based on your budget and needs. Speaking of budget, once you have choosen a number, double it. (trust me on this one)
    Now that you have carefully selected and sought out your rifle, it came with something else you did not bargain for. Its called pride. A rifleman needs to take pride in his rifle and his shooting.

Stop by your local hardware store on the way home from the gun store and buy an American flag. Display it proudly in front of your home. If your feeling really good about it, go ahead and buy an entire flag pole and hoist that bad boy up in the air.

But wait... you're not done yet. Here comes the most important parts;

You still have the other half of your money to spend. Ammo. Buy as much as you can. Shop for good quality and buy in quanity. Same with magazines. Buy at least ten, good quality magazines. Then, buy some spare parts. Get at least a lower parts kit and squirrel it away somewhere. Parts are cheap now, they probably won't be later.

Now the very most important part. I see you are in Ohio so you are in luck. Go sign up for the TDI Ohio tactical rifle course. You can thank me later. This is another one you'll just have to trust me on. That nice rifle you just bought doesnt mean squat if you don't know how to run the darn thing. You happen to have an excelent resource in your own backyard, it would be a shame to waste it.

Now comes the sweet part. Graduation. You should now know why the average Joe needs an AR. You will know why you should have one. But there is one last step to pound it all home. Do not skip the other steps and go right to this last one. If you do, it won't work. You'll just be made out to be a fool, even if you are only fooling yourself.
    After the TDI class, on Sunday night driving home, you'll be dog tired. But when you get home, run this up that flag pole and let it take its place beneath your American flag;

Now, if you follow my plan and you still don't have your answer,

move to Canada.
    HotGuns, gunthorp, TVJ and 2 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    IMHO:

For clearing a home = handgun, since it can be used with 1 hand, leaving the other for things like grabbing the kids, phone, door knobs, flashlight, etc

Final defensive line once you are in your safe room = shotgun

Area defense around your home (looters, rioters, etc) = rifle (due to better accuracy than a shotgun)

One advantage to a rifle is accuracy - so if you are faced with looters in your neighborhood and feel a need to open fire, you can be more accurate with a rifle than with a shotgun. If there are other homes in the area, that is certainly a factor. My rifles wear scopes for this reason.
    This is what makes sense to me currently, although all I own at the moment are handguns. While I'm not saying "It won't happen to me" I don't have a high expectation of my neighborhood getting looted and pillaged and having to pick people off from my upstairs window.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links