What does the average guy do with an AR?

This is a discussion on What does the average guy do with an AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, do a lot of research prior to purchase. M4carbine.net is a great resource. Do not be one of those guys who walks in to ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What does the average guy do with an AR?

First, do a lot of research prior to purchase. M4carbine.net is a great resource. Do not be one of those guys who walks in to his local gun shop and wastes his money on whatever they have in the rack. Pick your rifle carefully based on your budget and needs. Speaking of budget, once you have choosen a number, double it. (trust me on this one)
    Yea, I'm in no rush to jump into one and am generally one to over research things before I buy them (even down to a new raincoat). Maybe I'm a little OCD like that.

Now the very most important part. I see you are in Ohio so you are in luck. Go sign up for the TDI Ohio tactical rifle course. You can thank me later. This is another one you'll just have to trust me on. That nice rifle you just bought doesnt mean squat if you don't know how to run the darn thing. You happen to have an excelent resource in your own backyard, it would be a shame to waste it.
    I'm ahead of you on that one. I've taken several courses at TDI and am signed up for 2 more this year. Unfortunately, the TR courses are already full so I'll have to wait til next year. John Benner and the gang there provide top notch instruction! Word is catching on about the greatness of TDI and they are getting a lot of business, which is great for them.

Now comes the sweet part. Graduation. You should now know why the average Joe needs an AR. You will know why you should have one. But there is one last step to pound it all home. Do not skip the other steps and go right to this last one. If you do, it won't work. You'll just be made out to be a fool, even if you are only fooling yourself.
    After the TDI class, on Sunday night driving home, you'll be dog tired. But when you get home, run this up that flag pole and let it take its place beneath your American flag;

Thanks for the thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

The real question is not why ....... but , why not ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    The real question is not why ....... but , why not ?
    Well, at this point because, while I could afford it, its not a small amount of money. I'm guessing ~1k for the gun and another 1k for all the extra stuff, optics, etc? And for 2k I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting for my money (i.e - what use I'd get out of it) and thus the point of my original question for starting the thread.

VIP Member
    OP, my view on it is this. You don't really need any gun until you NEED it. There is only about a 3% chance you will ever use one of your pistols in a self defense situation.

There is even less of a chance that you will need an AR15 in a SHTF scenario. Yet, every day in the news we see scenarios where weather or flooding displaces a large group of people. It seems to be happening more and more each year. All it takes is one major natural disaster in your region and you might really need the offensive capabilities of a rifle. IMO $1000 to $1500 is a cheap insurance policy.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    No home is complete without a 357, 40, or 45 within arms reach 24/7, a 12 ga reasonably accessible to use from behind cover in the safe room, a social rifle with high capacity to grab for outdoor unfriendly gatherings between 25-300yards, and a long range precision rifle powerful enough to reach out and touch 500-1000yds. Call me crazy but I have an extra in the mix.

45, Rem 870, SKS-M with AK mags, AR10 308, 338 Win Mag. All the rest of the guns are more frosting on the cake. I haven't got my 2000yd 50BMG past the minister of finance...yet.
    TheGiant likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Actually from all that I've read, because of the rounds tendancy to yaw and break up once it contacts something, 5.56 out of an ar is actually much safer than a pistol to surrounding houses and even other rooms in a house.
    Is this any round, or the 75 gr TAP round? I'm a bit unclear on this myself.

+1 for Familiarity.
    The two rifle platforms I'm most comfortable with are the AR, and bolt action.
    Grew up with a bolt-action .22 I inherited from my granddad.
    Two years as an infantry soldier back in the pre-Clinton years. (no Desert Storm, state-side the whole time) I still feel confident I could field strip an AR in the dark, though I'm probably mistaken about that. They've come a long way in 20 years.
    I'd like to get an AR at some point, possibly one of Ruger's. I'd also like to get a Ruger 77. I just wish they came in .357 for ammo simplicity.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Is this any round, or the 75 gr TAP round? I'm a bit unclear on this myself.
    All 5.56 rounds besides those for barrier penetration. No TAP or MK262 is made to defeat barriers, so it's good to go. As is all FMJ's.

If you look at page 2 where I provided a few links, it contains everything you'd ever want to know about 5.56 ballistics. Dr Roberts and Martin Fackler are the authorities on this info and do unbelieveable amounts of research.

Here are the links - don't be deterred by the AR15.com links. Though there's a lot of bad info and silliness there, there's also a ton of great info in the stickies and the stuff posted by the subject matter experts.

This will tell you everything you need to know about .223 and 5.56 - The AR15.com Ammo Oracle

- this small part of the above linked page will show and explain what a 5.56 will do - The AR15.com Ammo Oracle

A great PDF by Dr Gary Roberts (DocGKR) - http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Misc_Do...s_2008NDIA.pdf

Home defense long guns - Home Defense Long Guns - M4Carbine.net Forums

Best choices of self defense ammo - Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

5.56 terminal ballistics from this thread - Rifle caliber ordnance gelatin test assessment - M4Carbine.net Forums

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    What does the average guy do with an AR?
    Look at it every now and then and post that they have an AR, oh - and shoot an occasional squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    All 5.56 rounds besides those for barrier penetration. No TAP or MK262 is made to defeat barriers, so it's good to go. As is all FMJ's...
    Thanks Jon.
    It's been a while since I hunted Whitetail, but I didn't think a .223 caliber was legal here in PA. Going from memory, I thought .243 was the min. diameter. Maybe that has changed. I tried to find it online and got thoroughly confused by all the PA hunting regulations websites that I couldn't seem to find any actual regulations on...
    With such great penetration and disruption of the surrounding area I wonder why that is, or was.

Anyway, thanks again.

I lived in Pittsburgh until I was 17 then again for another year when I was 22. I can't remember but you might be right about 223 bein out. Here in Texas we can hunt with it and it's great on hogs, coyotes and bobcats which we can hunt year round.

I would prefer my SCAR Heavy for dear as it's very light like my ARs but 7.62. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 5.56 though with the right ammo.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    .24 caliber is the minimum in Pa for large game hunting.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I purchased mine right after Obama went into office in case for some reason he banned them. I also use it as my #1 coyote hunting gun and its always the first rifle I grab. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Why you have one for ZOMBIES my good fellow. Do you not read and heed the government warnings ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks Timmy. I thought it was around there. Of course, we can't use semi-auto handguns or rifles for hunting anyway, but looking at that ballistic pic it certainly seems like it would do the job on deer.

So I'll just keep using it for fun and insurance.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links