What does the average guy do with an AR? - Page 5

What does the average guy do with an AR?

This is a discussion on What does the average guy do with an AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SnareMan This is what makes sense to me currently, although all I own at the moment are handguns. While I'm not saying ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What does the average guy do with an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    This is what makes sense to me currently, although all I own at the moment are handguns. While I'm not saying "It won't happen to me" I don't have a high expectation of my neighborhood getting looted and pillaged and having to pick people off from my upstairs window.
    I have some experience with looters and the so-called "mob mentality"...Florida after Hurricane Andrew, and Somalia.

You won't be sniping looters from your window. You'll be outside, with your neighbors (who are also hopefully armed as well), making it clear to the mob that they should move along. Just being armed is usually enough - and a long gun makes a much bigger impression than a hand gun. Once in a while, you will have a loud mouth that will try to stir the mob up - that's the one you shoot with your rifle (and why I advocate a scope). The rest will scatter. Once in a great while, you might have one that is armed who decides to take you on - then it's show time.

As far as probability - Hurricane Andrew, Katrina, Rodney King riots, Chicago riots, NY riots...the list goes on. Just wait until the gubment runs out of money, and there are no more welfare checks nor food stamps. Hoo boy...

It's coming...sooner or later.
    jwhite75 and Chaplain Scott like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    One of the beautiful things about the AR platform is that you can pretty much do anything you want with it.

Want a pistol caliber carbine? There's an AR for that.
    Want a rifle caliber pistol? There's an AR for that.
    Want a highly maneuverable rifle with lasers, and spotlights? There's an AR for that
    Want 1000 yard benchrest gun? There's an AR for that
    Want a .50BGM anti-material rifle? There's an AR for that
    Want a 400 grain slug chucker with an underbarrel chainsaw? How about a crossbow?

If you have a need for a rifle, the AR can probably fit it, and possibly other needs that come along later.

For me, I primarily use it for supplemental training since my command does not own weapons.

SHTF scenario, I'd probably keep the .30 carbine handy over the AR since it is half the weight. If I were out for the purpose of combat, AR is the first choice.

Probably not useful in home defense as I would rather grab what is on hand (pistol) rather than try to get the safe open.

I'm hoping to pick up deer hunting soon, and a 6.5 Grendel upper later on.

Advantages over handgun:
    1. Magazine capacity. 30 rounds beats 18 any day
    2. Power. Rifles are weapons of battle. Pistols are defensive weapons you can carry around easily.
    3. Range. Unless you've got a bench rest set up with a .50 AE through a 10" barrel, you're probably not going to hit anything at 300 yards.
    4. Accessories. You can put a light on your pistol, but can you also attach night vision, bayonet, red dot, and can opener?

Advantages over other rifles:
    1. Popularity. Popularity means it's easier to repair, modify, accessorize. There is plenty of resources for training as well.
    2. Light weight ammo. Would you want to be carrying around 300 rounds of buckshot? How about 30.06?
    3. Low recoil. Good for protracted engagements or inexperienced shooters
    4. Adjustable buttstock (optional): Ergonomic for you and the whole family
    5. Magazine capacity: 30 rounds is a lot, even in the rifle world.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Is this any round, or the 75 gr TAP round? I'm a bit unclear on this myself.
    I keep 55 grain taps loaded but i think this is inherent to all 5.56 due to high velocity and the majority of the bullet weight being in the rear of the bullet. When the bullet strikes something it wants to swap ends which leads to the breaking up part.

My DPMS Sportical is my coyote gun. Its also my 400 yard watermelon killer. It plays heck on groundhogs to. Its also my zombie gun. My SHTF gun. You wanna bust into my home and property, the first thing youll see is the muzzle of my AR. Yep, its pretty much my goto gun.

If your thinkin of gettin one right now is a good time. The prices are low. If there is any sign of government infringement on the 2A the prices go up quick.

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

RKM
    Most all .223/5.56 will yaw except for rounds designed to penetrate barriers such as the 62gr green tip the military uses for light armor. This ammo is blamed by some for the poor performance in the war because it does not yaw (as much as typical 5.56 rounds).

75gr TAP is some of the best commercially available self defense ammo for an AR platform. Other good ones (which I have no experience with, judging by internet reviews and ballistics results) are Federal TRU, almost anything 77gr OTM, and some people like the Corbon DPX as well as soft points. Hunters typcially like their round to stay intact as it usually distributes far more energy for bigger temp cavity, but a fragmenting round does more REAL damage.

And one thing that bugs me which is kind of off topic. If you choose to use 75gr or 77gr ammo for self defense and you have a barrel twist of 1:9 or greater, do NOT listen to the people who say that round is usless in anything less than a 1:7. Maybe out to 200-300 yards, but at self defense ranges, even an old M16 with 1:12 will shoot at 77gr round accurately at reality based self defense ranges. My 1:9 barrel shots 75gr just fine at 100 yards I know for sure. Zero is about 4 inches off 55gr FMJ, but still groups just fine an doesn't keyhole. 200-300 yards it may, but I don't have my AR loaded with 75gr TAP for long distance self defense. If the situation has really gotten so bad that you need to defend yourself from 200-300 yards, I'd be looking at using a .30 caliber rifle of some kind. Something I need to purchase myself :) My AK doesn't count, ;)

Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    Well, at this point because, while I could afford it, its not a small amount of money. I'm guessing ~1k for the gun and another 1k for all the extra stuff, optics, etc? And for 2k I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting for my money (i.e - what use I'd get out of it) and thus the point of my original question for starting the thread.
    I don't look at it that way, as if the $$$ is gone forever. Afterall, I can always sell it and recover a high percentage of the costs if I want or need to. I had wanted one for a long time and had kept talking myself out of it, and decided to quit arguing with myself. Since, I have found additional good reasons that I never even considered when I first bought it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Not to get too far OT... but since it was brought up...
    Does barrel twist work the other way, too? The 1:7 twist is for heavier bullets, right? Does it have any kind of negative effect on 55 gr bullets over a barrel with a tighter twist?

And to add, for someone new to ARs, the recent threads have been good ones from a learning standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Liberals get livid when you own a black military looking "assault rifle".
    If for no other reason, own one for that reason alone.
    That's strange... I am not in the least bit livid when people own black military looking "assault rifles". To see if I was crazy or something I called my father and asked him if he was livid when people owned black military looking "assault rifles". He assured me he was not. I then walked over to me next door neighbors house and asked him the same question. He assured me he was also not livid about people owning black military looking "assault rifle". Just to check one more place I called my buddy who is on the Indianapolis swat team and posed the same question to him. He as well was not livid about people owning s black military looking "assault rifle". I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the statement "Liberals get livid when you own a black military looking "assault rifle"." is the kind of broadly over reaching and ignorant statement I have come to expect from the ANTI gun crowd. It is no different then saying "All white people are racist" or "All black people like fried chicken" or "Insert stereotype here"

To answer the OP's original question you should buy a AR because they are a blast to shoot :)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    It is no different then saying "All white people are racist" or "All black people like fried chicken" or "Insert stereotype here"
    Dang. I missed that memo. I'm white as snow and I like fried chicken and watermelon. In fact, I have both in my fridge right now. I guess I have to go find a new group to hate.

OK, I'm done joking around.... lets leave that alone and stick with the topic at hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That's strange... I am not in the least bit livid when people own black military looking "assault rifles". To see if I was crazy or something I called my father and asked him if he was livid when people owned black military looking "assault rifles". He assured me he was not. I then walked over to me next door neighbors house and asked him the same question. He assured me he was also not livid about people owning black military looking "assault rifle". Just to check one more place I called my buddy who is on the Indianapolis swat team and posed the same question to him. He as well was not livid about people owning s black military looking "assault rifle". I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the statement "Liberals get livid when you own a black military looking "assault rifle"." is the kind of broadly over reaching and ignorant statement I have come to expect from the ANTI gun crowd. It is no different then saying "All white people are racist" or "All black people like fried chicken" or "Insert stereotype here"

To answer the OP's original question you should buy a AR because they are a blast to shoot :)
    Well actually, maybe you just arent as liberal as you think your are. From your stance on guns and several other topics here I have read, I would say you are more of a centrist. I am a registered Democrat because here in our state we have a large population of labor centric industry such as factories and mines. The Democrats are more loyal to the labor side of things. I still vote my conscience usually Democrat at local and state level Republican at the national level.

Hot Guns was not trying to pigeon hole everybody I think, but you have to admit, more liberals than not oppose possession of any gun they feel is "not necessary" to be owned by non LEO or non military.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Not to get too far OT... but since it was brought up...
    Does barrel twist work the other way, too? The 1:7 twist is for heavier bullets, right? Does it have any kind of negative effect on 55 gr bullets over a barrel with a tighter twist?
    Yes, it does work the other way.

A 1:7 twist will work fine for 52-55gr bullets, but you may find that some lighter 40gr varmint bullets with thin jackets get spun to pieces due to excessive rotational forces...

~Dan

Interesting.

sgb
    they're like potato chips ...... you just can't stop - my latest two

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Ex Member
    I have owned 'assault rifles' since my time in Vietnam. Today my 'assault rifle' is a 10 shot Henry .357 lever action. That is probably all the weapon 99+% of us will ever need.
    10thmtn and jwhite75 like this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links