What does the average guy do with an AR? - Page 6

What does the average guy do with an AR?

This is a discussion on What does the average guy do with an AR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 I have owned 'assault rifles' since my time in Vietnam. Today my 'assault rifle' is a 10 shot Henry ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What does the average guy do with an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I have owned 'assault rifles' since my time in Vietnam. Today my 'assault rifle' is a 10 shot Henry .357 lever action. That is probably all the weapon 99+% of us will ever need.

Unless you are planning on hunting varmints like pdogs at 200+ yards

I shoot mine in 3 gun matches, home protection and plinking around house. I have a collapsible stock, so I can shorten the length of pull so my wife, daughter and son can so the rifle. I also like it because it ticks the anti-gunners off .
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    OP, if you don't want an AR or don't like the price tag, I'll suggest a nice lever action rifle in .30-30. It's about 1/3 the price, has lots of fire power out to 150 yds and doesn't look "tactical".
    Maybe this is the answer you're looking for.
    10thmtn likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have owned 'assault rifles' since my time in Vietnam. Today my 'assault rifle' is a 10 shot Henry .357 lever action. That is probably all the weapon 99+% of us will ever need.
    Agree - though my lever gun is a .30-30.

I'm keeping my Mini 14 - but I'm really liking that lever gun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OP, if you don't want an AR or don't like the price tag, I'll suggest a nice lever action rifle in .30-30. It's about 1/3 the price, has lots of fire power out to 150 yds and doesn't look "tactical".
    With the LEVERevolution ammo, it will reach out much farther...probably close to 300 yards. In other words, farther than you can likely legally justify "self defense."
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    C'mon, Timmy... you had to know someone would have a tactical 30-30, lol.
    Someone needs to get a Surfire on that thing
    Attached Images

Yea but it sure is fun to empty a 30 round mag at some evil shook up 2 liter Coke bottles.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

oops, I spoke too soon.

Check out this bad boy.
    Attached Images

The only excuse you need is ITS AN AR15! I guarantee you will not regret it .I just got done building my first AR but its not a rifle its a 71/2 " barrel pistol and it is fun to shoot plus its great home defense because of the size. My wife just went out and bought herself a AR15 rifle and I guarentee if someone enters my house that would be the first gun she grabs. Best reason for your self is the AR is the best rifle ever built. (Sorry im kinda partial to the AR)

I didnt bother to read all 6 pages, because I am sure I have a good idea what has been said. The most important reason to have an AR-15 is because it is your right to do so and they are a blast to shoot! Great for all types of varmits. I love to shoot mine, I smile everytime I look at.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yea but it sure is fun to empty a 30 round mag at some evil shook up 2 liter Coke bottles.
    With the price of ammo, I like to take my time with my shots...
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Snareman, let me help you out. The others have given you their reasons for owning an AR. Let me tell you how to find your reasons for owning an AR.

First, do a lot of research prior to purchase. M4carbine.net is a great resource. Do not be one of those guys who walks in to his local gun shop and wastes his money on whatever they have in the rack. Pick your rifle carefully based on your budget and needs. Speaking of budget, once you have choosen a number, double it. (trust me on this one)
    Now that you have carefully selected and sought out your rifle, it came with something else you did not bargain for. Its called pride. A rifleman needs to take pride in his rifle and his shooting.

Stop by your local hardware store on the way home from the gun store and buy an American flag. Display it proudly in front of your home. If your feeling really good about it, go ahead and buy an entire flag pole and hoist that bad boy up in the air.

But wait... you're not done yet. Here comes the most important parts;

You still have the other half of your money to spend. Ammo. Buy as much as you can. Shop for good quality and buy in quanity. Same with magazines. Buy at least ten, good quality magazines. Then, buy some spare parts. Get at least a lower parts kit and squirrel it away somewhere. Parts are cheap now, they probably won't be later.

Now the very most important part. I see you are in Ohio so you are in luck. Go sign up for the TDI Ohio tactical rifle course. You can thank me later. This is another one you'll just have to trust me on. That nice rifle you just bought doesnt mean squat if you don't know how to run the darn thing. You happen to have an excelent resource in your own backyard, it would be a shame to waste it.

Now comes the sweet part. Graduation. You should now know why the average Joe needs an AR. You will know why you should have one. But there is one last step to pound it all home. Do not skip the other steps and go right to this last one. If you do, it won't work. You'll just be made out to be a fool, even if you are only fooling yourself.
    After the TDI class, on Sunday night driving home, you'll be dog tired. But when you get home, run this up that flag pole and let it take its place beneath your American flag;

Now, if you follow my plan and you still don't have your answer,

move to Canada.
    I had to quote the whole thing since everyone needs to see it again
    as I finished reading that, I had to stand up, salute say the pledge, sing the SSB, and kicked off my mp3 of Stars and Stripes forever

ok, not really, but I did like it

OP....why get an AR....what Sixto said plus my $0.02:
    1) the SHTF scenarios, ex:hurricanes, floods, other disasters, riots, plenty of real events that have happened here in the U.S.
    2) hunting
    3) may not be available in the future
    4) its a moral obligation IMO

its not for clearing your house
    its not for buying every freaking accessory known to man and covering every portion of the rifle possible with a gadget....although a lot try real hard
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    It is your patriotic duty as an American citizen to own a battle rifle. So it might just as well be an AR.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    and some of us have multiple

....ARs are kind of like glocks....you get one and they mysteriously multiply
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

What does the average guy do with his AR?

Leave it in his safe so
    A: his wife doesnt find out
    B: he can't afford the ammo
    C: He doesnt really know how to shoot it
    D: Gets it out once in a while to play Army

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links