Scopes on ARs....different type of question

This is a discussion on Scopes on ARs....different type of question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have several AR-15 and AR-10 style rifles with scopes. Maybe I am built weird, but by the time I get the scope set for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Scopes on ARs....different type of question

Scopes on ARs....different type of question

I have several AR-15 and AR-10 style rifles with scopes. Maybe I am built weird, but by the time I get the scope set for eye relief, the scope is back far enough it covers the charging handle. This makes it hard for me to get my fingers under the scope and over the handle to charge the rifle.

I know for a fact I am not the only person out there with a scope on my ARs, so what do the rest of you do? Is there a different type of charging handle I am not familiar with?

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

2. Remove Ads

I got a Badger handle from Brownell's. They make a few designs, just make sure the new handle clears the scope. I put them on all my ARs, I'm a lefty and they're easier to use.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle. Cut, paste and Google it.
    Tyler11B likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    BCM Gunfighter charging handle. Cut, paste and Google it.
    Or a PRI gasbuster
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

That's pretty nifty. I didn't know you could extend the charging handle. I was going to try one of those Badger latch releases just to have a little more to grab onto. My magnifier is even with the current charging handle.

This post was based on eye relief and why your optic is back so far. I realized the point of the charging handle comments though so I posted about that below a few. I know a lot of guys with issues because they run their stock out pretty far and can't get a good position for e optic.

---

I guess it all comes down to the optic you're using and how you shoulder the rifle. I use a squared stance and use the first or second notch on the stock (CTRs and Sopmod). I have mine usually where the rear of the scope is just a bit in from the rear of the charging handle.

My Acog 4x32 only has about a 1.5" eye relief so I need to be prety close. The only pic I have of me shooting it is on my SCAR Light but I have a pic of it on one oft ARs as well. I'll see what I can dig up.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; May 24th, 2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Or a PRI gasbuster
    Isn't that sumpin you take after eating a bean burrito
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    I have several AR-15 and AR-10 style rifles with scopes. Maybe I am built weird, but by the time I get the scope set for eye relief, the scope is back far enough it covers the charging handle. This makes it hard for me to get my fingers under the scope and over the handle to charge the rifle.

I know for a fact I am not the only person out there with a scope on my ARs, so what do the rest of you do? Is there a different type of charging handle I am not familiar with?

Thanks for any ideas.

Steve
    As said above the badger tactical latch is a 20 dollar and ten minute fix

Badger Ordnance Tactical Charging Handle Latch AR-15 Matte - MidwayUSA

Instructions:

The thing about the BCM gunfighter, mod 4 especially for me, is even when the latch is completely opened, it still angles forward a bit so you can't slip off.

I don't know how your doing it, but when I work the charging handle, my hand never comes off of the grip and I use my support hand only. The BCM keeps it from twisting and binding in any way as it contacts more towards the center of the handle, not just the left side like standard ones do.

The only time I ever use my right hand is when I have to lock the bolt to the rear, which is usually only with a double feed. Even then, the BCM would help as the scope hanging over the back (I'm assuming this is where your problem comes in) you could still reach over with your right hand and work it from the left side. I just tried it to verify this before I posted. I was wondering how an optic was getting in the way then I realized you're most likely using your firing hand to grip the CH with your index and middle finger.

If you start to work the handle with your support hand, you may notice less issues.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I fire with my nose on the charging handle. The scope is mounted well forward of it.

Some weapons offer a side charging handle, but you would need to modify the bolt and receiver for that.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Isn't that sumpin you take after eating a bean burrito
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I fire with my nose on the charging handle. The scope is mounted well forward of it.

Some weapons offer a side charging handle, but you would need to modify the bolt and receiver for that.
    I do as well for the most part. Though only one of my guns (well, one AR. I have the SCAR Heavy, and obviously all my bolt guns with magnified optics) has a magnified optic and it's an ACOG 4x32. I still obviously have a rear BUIS (KAC 200-600) and mount as far back as it can go with my nose basically touching he charging handle, I'm just about right for the eye relief. I really don't like how short the relief is, though I really like the ACOG.

I've decided I'm going back to the S&B 1-4 for that gun later this year or possibly a Nightforce 1-4. I have a S&B 1-8 on order which should be around September, but that's going on a 7.62.

any tac / paddle latch

Wow...some great ideas that I never knew existed! Definitely need to do some shopping now!!

Thanks everyone.
    If you can't get out of it, you gotta get into it.

My job requires me to be armed as much of the time as possible. No, I am not an operator or LEO of any kind. I am a husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by radshooter View Post
    Wow...some great ideas that I never knew existed! Definitely need to do some shopping now!!

Thanks everyone.
    I ordered my Badger Ordnance latch last night. Midway was out of stock, so I ordered it from Operation Forces, where I got my light mount. I'll have it tomorrow or Friday if they are as quick as last time.

Links