Double-barrel with a strap/harness

This is a discussion on Double-barrel with a strap/harness within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay guys, I got a different question for ya I was talking to an old-timer once and he mentioned doing what he called a "Security ...

Thread: Double-barrel with a strap/harness

Okay guys, I got a different question for ya

I was talking to an old-timer once and he mentioned doing what he called a "Security job" on the east coast. During that time, he said he wore a double-barrelled shotgun under his overcoat, and that he kept it there by fixing some sort of strap/harness on his shoulder so he could carry it hands free, yet still bring it up to his shoulder to fire. Have any of ya'll heard of something like this? If you have heard of it/used it, how is it done?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Are you sure you weren't talking to Ricardo Tubbs from Miami Vice?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

The words "East Coast", and "double barrel", should hint that there might be better options!

Seriously, yes, NYPD did use doubles, and I believe the leather maker that was making rigs for the Ithica Stakeout made some outfits that would attach to the doubles as well.

If you're thinking of a short shotty for real use, the Serbus offer 1 more round (3 shot), in a more compact package, with the added control of a forward grip. If you really wanted to go high-speed, low-drag, you could buy a new (6 shot capacity) Benelli M3, and have it cut to 3-4 rounds, and put (IIRC) a pistol grip for a 1300 or 870 on the back.
    Back when I had an M3, I did a PG conversion, but (not being ClassII) obviously did not chop it down.

Any of these outfits can be carried in/on an Eagle MP-5k shoulder harness. Essentially, instead of pulling the butt into your shoulder, you push the weapon out, toward the target, utilizing the pull of the harness on the back of your shoulder to provide some rigidity in alignment.

Where could I find an Eagle MP5K shoulder harness?

Lol, and did Ricardo Tubbs pack a gun like that? I've never seen Miami Vice. I think there was something like that on the first Terminator movie, though, now that I think of it.

Bonnie & Clyde

used that technique successfully. They would cut down the stock as far as possible then screw a leather strap into it to form a single loop. They would then slip it onto their shoulder. It was quick to bring up to the shoulder, and easily concealed under a coat. They used this to conceal Winchester 1897's and the big ol' BAR. Now that's a concealed carry weapon!
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Administrator
    That would be an absolute PITA mode of carry.
    It would constanty hinder and impede your normal daily movement.
    Save it for the movies.
    Just my personal opinion on that.

I have seen this in the movies and you know how the movies are. I have carried a pump shotgun hunting. I have a shoulder sling and it works good for that purpose. Concealment might be another question altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007
    Where could I find an Eagle MP5K shoulder harness?

Lol, and did Ricardo Tubbs pack a gun like that? I've never seen Miami Vice. I think there was something like that on the first Terminator movie, though, now that I think of it.
    http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...t=mp5k+harness
    http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.ph...t=mp5k+harness

Couple of links, with pics. I believe HK Pro will be about the only source, with a WTB, or as part of a group buy. With HK getting away from the 90 series, a lot of these accessories are dropping out.

Tubbs could only dream of my dementias! Given the fact that the M3 used to be pretty rare, and that it was a $1K base gun, I'm not aware of anyone ever making an "Entry" version of one (though HK offers the M1 with a 14" tube). The problem with the M1 is that it requires the "rat-tail" on the back of the receiver, for the action spring- necessitating a full-length stock. The M3's action spring is wound around the mag tube, so it can take the PG. A smith with the interest and initiative could shorten things a bit.........

I am not sure why you would want to carry a shotgun concealed but here is a rig that allows you to do so....

http://www.andrewsleather.com/firepower.htm

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Guys, ask the Clantons and McClaury's about how effective my "concealed carry" street howitzer was at the OK corral.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Yeah, concealed under a duster!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    Guys, ask the Clantons and McClaury's about how effective my "concealed carry" street howitzer was at the OK corral.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links