The ultimate home defense: Russian PKM

This is a discussion on The ultimate home defense: Russian PKM within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I thought I would share this with you guys. It was a real treat to shoot this hard charging GPMG this weekend....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The ultimate home defense: Russian PKM

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

I thought I would share this with you guys. It was a real treat to shoot this hard charging GPMG this weekend.

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Looks like fun, took me back to Pleiku there for a minute.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Im a huge fan of 7.62 X 54R. I want me a PKM.

VIP Member
    Nice!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Impressive to say the least.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Moderator
    I want a pair of those gloves.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My buddy was shot by a PKM in Afghanistan,he still has the use of his right arm,but there was extensive damage,It's pretty sad when our Military has to use a Communist Bloc Machinegun due to the SAW being underpowered for longer distances,and the 50 BMG being heavy and unsuitable for foot patrols
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My buddy was shot by a PKM in Afghanistan,he still has the use of his right arm,but there was extensive damage,It's pretty sad when our Military has to use a Communist Bloc Machinegun due to the SAW being underpowered for longer distances,and the 50 BMG being heavy and unsuitable for foot patrols
    Um...that's why God made the M60/M240B...

I'd like to see some proof that US troops are using these; I've seen a few being used by SOF (especially British SOF) in very specific instances, but as for any sort of widespread use? Not buying it until I see some real proof.
    Erick46590 and tacman605 like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Um...that's why God made the M60/M240B...

I'd like to see some proof that US troops are using these; I've seen a few being used by SOF (especially British SOF) in very specific instances, but as for any sort of widespread use? Not buying it until I see some real proof.
    I qualified on the M60 many years ago,I knew it was replaced with the 5.56 SAW,I guess I wasn't aware they have a M240 B that replaces the 30 caliber M60,or did they just give the M60 a new number
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It is misconception that the M60 was replaced by the SAW. The M60, and it's replacement, the M240 (which is basically the FN MAG with different furniture) are GMPGs - General Purpose Machine Guns. You could also call them "medium-light" machine guns. They were and are designed to be used and controlled at the platoon level, to provide support and firepower under the direction of the Platoon Leader/Platoon Sergeant. The SAW, as its name implies, is designed to be carried and employed at the Squad level, under the direction of the Squad Leader. (MilitaryArms mis-spoke when he called the M60/M240 a squad automatic weapon - that is the M249 and similar rifles). It is a "light" machine gun, and is carried and operated by one person (whereas the M240 and other GPMGs are crew-served weapons). The SAW is designed to supplement the GPMG in an infantry platoon, not replace it. In some non-combat arms units, the SAW did, in fact, replace the GPMGs, the idea being that these units didn't need the GPMG at all. In a typical infantry platoon, there will be two SAWs in each of the three rifle squads, and either two or three M240s either in a Weapons Squad or in a weapons section under the direct control of the PL.

There are PLENTY of good GPMGs in the US arsenal, that's why I find it very difficult to believe that folks - outside of a very few specific scenarios/units - are carrying the PKM....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I would think that the PK series is a bit long for HD use.

The picture they showed when they said U.S. troops use it is most likely Iraqi Army, you can tell by the Arabic on the helmet, and "Chocolate Chip" cammies.

I did encounter several PKM's, in the service of both Iraqi and Afghan security forces we were working with, and among insurgents, it certainly is a formidable weapon.

I have never seen one issued to American troops. The SAW and 240B are used for different roles, that being said, sometimes my squad would trade out a SAW for a 240B if contact seemed more likely. The 240B's range is much further than the SAW, but the SAW is more mobile, due to size, and weight of the ammo mostly. But, the SAW can do it's job out pretty far. American line troops tend to use American made and issued weapons.

All that being said, one time we were dispatched to bolster defenses at a local security forces compound due to the threat of an impending attack, and I found myself standing post behind a PKM, since it was already on the post, and could of reached out further than my M-16. But, I never saw one issued to American troops in place of any MG.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

That 7.62x54 seems like it can chew through cover pretty well. I believe that's what the three cars were hit with in that British private security company shooting that involved James Yeagar and left three dead. I don't know much about the 240 but have a little time on a 249.

I like all guns for the most part but I've never really been a fan of the ones used against us.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    The 7.62x54R is, for almost all practical purposes, the rough equivalent of the 7.62x51 (NATO) round. Either is pretty darned good in a GPMG. I'm not a big fan of the non-disintegrating link, but that's a relatively minor point. Having no real experience with PKM, I can only assume that it isn't quite as accurate as the M240 (which can be a relative tack driver, for what it is), though it is lighter. I know I wouldn't feel particularly under-gunned with a PKM, though I'd still stick with the M240, given the choice.

VIP Member
    Fun to watch, from behind, an impressive weapon. I'm still a fan of the 308 and 50.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The 7.62x54R is, for almost all practical purposes, the rough equivalent of the 7.62x51 (NATO) round. Either is pretty darned good in a GPMG. I'm not a big fan of the non-disintegrating link, but that's a relatively minor point. Having no real experience with PKM, I can only assume that it isn't quite as accurate as the M240 (which can be a relative tack driver, for what it is), though it is lighter. I know I wouldn't feel particularly under-gunned with a PKM, though I'd still stick with the M240, given the choice.
    I have more experience on a 240 than the PK series, but as mentioned above, I have some experience through the PKs. The one bonus of the disintegrating link is that it can be reloaded easier than our disintegrating links can. If you have a pile of loose 54r, and the belt, you can reload it multiple times. You could do that with our links, but it would be a big pain in the butt, and take forever.

The 240 is definitely more accurate, as a good gun crew can reach far beyond what a grunt with a 16 can, and really, can reach about as far as the sights will go out to. But under 1000m the PK is, in my experience, capable of good area fire accuracy, which is really all a machine gun is going to get used for at that kind of range anyways. I'd much rather have folks shooting at me from that far away with an AK than a PK. The PK is a little bit lighter than the 240 as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links