AR, broken extractor pin

This is a discussion on AR, broken extractor pin within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came off the range the other day and went to cleaning the AR. When I went to remove the extractor pin, half of it fell ...

Thread: AR, broken extractor pin

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

AR, broken extractor pin

Came off the range the other day and went to cleaning the AR. When I went to remove the extractor pin, half of it fell out. It's like the thing was cut in half.

A few years back I had a problem with a stuck case, but the extractor was intact after, and I've fired hundreds of rounds with no issue. I'm wondering if it could be related, and if there is anything else I should watch out for.

New pin has been shipped along with a field repair kit (not paying shipping for a $1 part)
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

2. Remove Ads

Who makes the bolt? You're talking about the pin that holds the extractor in place, right? Have any pics of it?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quit using toothpicks as extractor pins,there musta been a hairline fracture or something to cause a pin to break in half,I would think the extractor lip would break/chip before a pin would break
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well don't tell us what kind of gun you have or anything...

Upper and bolt are Model 1.

Extractor pin is the pin that holds the extractor to the bolt.

It seems to be functional even with the pin broken.

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Upper and bolt are Model 1.

Extractor pin is the pin that holds the extractor to the bolt.

It seems to be functional even with the pin broken.
    I just wanted to be sure about the pin... Model 1 is not known for quality, so I'd sugges picking up a BCM, Colt, DD or other mil spec bolt for less than $75.

Forgetting that part, the pin is held in by the carrier, so it should continue to work even with it broken, though not the best way to do thing sheer obviously.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. What I would have done ifi wasn't buying a new lot is order a repair kit from a company better known for quality. Small parts can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, and just like anything else, I'd go with the better option.

I'd recommend getting the extractor kit with the black insert over the blue which Model One may use. I wouldn't worry about anything else, the stuck case usually doesn't cause any issues except maybe a possible broken extractor claw.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Extractor with broken and replacement pin

IMAG0060.jpg

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Links