What mounts to Co-Witness?

This is a discussion on What mounts to Co-Witness? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Bushmaster heavy barrel carbine model number BCWA3F16 and an Aimpoint Comp M3. I would like to mount the Aimpoint on the upper ...

Thread: What mounts to Co-Witness?

What mounts to Co-Witness?

I have a Bushmaster heavy barrel carbine model number BCWA3F16 and an Aimpoint Comp M3. I would like to mount the Aimpoint on the upper receiver to absolute cowitness with the front sight post. I was considering using the A.R.M.S.® #22M68™ Throw Lever Ring to mount the Aimpoint. But I believe a spacer is needed to raise the Aimpoint up to the front sight post and was looking at the A.R.M.S.® #38™ STD SWAN® Sleeve which would raise the Aimpoint 1/2 inch. I'm particularly concerned with the height. Does anyone know if these ARMS products will go together to get me that absolute co-witness?

2. Remove Ads

Any reason you want an absolute over a 1/3? See, even with fixed front and rear, I still don't line up all three, I just use the dot above the irons. If I need to line up all three, I just lower my head a bit and now all three are good to go.

Just curious. Personally, regardless of which I choose, I'd stay away from A.R.M.S. and go with LaRue. I've had better experiences with LaRue over A.R.M.S., KAC and even Bobro, though I must say I've only had one example of each while having a number of LaRue mounts.

The LaRue LT-150 is what you need for an absolute cowitness with the M3. I can't recommend A.R.M.S. over LaRue though I'm sure it'll work just fine. I don't know which one you would need though.

Again, I can't recommend LaRue enough for mounts, lights or optics. Also, I really prefer the 1/3 as well, YMMV.

I know this says M2, but it's for both the M2 and M3. Also, the wording is odd in the description but it is an absolute cowitness mount.

LaRue Tactical Comp M2 Mount LT-150
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the reply, jon. The only reason I was not considering LaRue is because the description of the LT-150(I had looked at before too) says its 1/3 cowitness. I just prefer the absolute cowitness but would prefer LaRue over ARMS.

I'm almot positive it's an absolute. It's worded differently and it confused me also, but I'm almost positive it's absolute since it states it's 1.7" above the bore and 1/3rd cowitness is around 2.5", give or take.

I'll check for you if you can hang in there a bit.

EDIT - I think you're right about the 1/3rd. I see people saying both, but most are saying it's a lower 1/3rd. I'll post back with the right mount.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I thought absolute was closer to 1.4". I'm all over LaRue's website right now at your suggestion.

I'd go with the Larue, most of their mounts have the option of 1/3 or absolute, but if you give them a call, they can make sure you get the right one for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I just fired off an email to LaRue sales. I'll let you know what they say.

Ok, the RAS II LT-152 is absolute and I believe it works for the M3. i'll verify thi one and get back to you… We'll get it figured out, though i still strongly suggest the 1/3rd. Any specific reason you want absolute?

EDIT - Yep, it's the LT-152. I know it says for the M2 in the descriptions, but if you go to their combo deals and go to the M3, in the drop down menu you can choose the 150 standard 1/3rd, RAS II 152 which is 1/2" lower than the 152 and gives you an absolute cowitness or 129 cantilever which is also a 1/3rd/.

Here's the link for the combo so you can see in the drop down that you can add the 152.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=19

Thanks for your help. The biggest reason is because I want to keep the line of sight as close to the bore line as possible. I'm going with a flat top because I have had this Aimpoint on a carry handle mount and I HATED the, I don't know what you'd call it, the sighting error because it was mounted so high. Just never did sit well with me. Maybe I don't fully understand the benefits of a 1/3??

You're right, I believe it's 1.2". I'm thinking about the bullet impact at near the muzzle, sorry about that! it's definitely the 152 mount that you need and it's definitely a better option than the A.R.M.S. in my opinion.

I just posted these pics in another thread here. This is a T1 in a 660 mount, which is 1/3rd. I much prefer the 1/3rd. The first or second pic is how we'll use the Aimpoint or EoTech whether the sights are up or down. The third is if the red dot fails or some will use it this way for a more precise shot.

Yeah, that looks right to me too. Thank you. Any suggestions on a flip up rear from LaRue?

I like my KAC 200-600 flip ups since I don't use them that much, but I always default to the Troy standard flip ups which laRue sells with their logo for $200. I prefer the Troy rear if I'm using a standard front sight. The KAC URX II front sight has a thinner blade so that's why I stay with the KAC rear. I'm slowly working on a couple uppers right now and both will have the Troy rear.

BOTH Front & Rear Troy Sights COMBO

I was looking at the Troy flip up as well. Don't need a front because the rifle has a fixed front.

Links