Fiancee is going to kill me.

This is a discussion on Fiancee is going to kill me. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 If one that you are not yet legally bound to is eyeballing your purchases at this point...you're in trouble, and it ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Fiancee is going to kill me.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If one that you are not yet legally bound to is eyeballing your purchases at this point...you're in trouble, and it isn't going to improve after marriage.
    I'd be working very hard to get that gun collection expanded and stabilized before any ceremony practice.OMOYMV
    She doesn't fight it too much... we've ...'agreed'... that 'we' won't buy any more guns until after the wedding- there wasn't any limit to ammo purchases though. (and I noticed that the next time we talked about it, she threw in a part about 'after some of my student loans have been paid back'...) Not that I mind it- especially since my job sucks, and she's got a great job now that she's graduated.

But, still...
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Is it her money you're spending? My wife does well at her job, but most bills are covered by me. We have a set amount of money that can be spent on luxuries every month and only if it's going to be exceeded do we talk about it with each other first. She knows how much I spend on my hobbies and that's fine. I know what she spends on her hobbies and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't dip into our money for bills or the money that goes into savings every month.

What I'm getting at here is that for any relation ship to work we need to make decisions together but we also need to be somewhat independent. You need to set a personal fun budget and whether that's $100 or $10,000 a month is up to you, but do it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't mean to play psychologist here, I just know from experience when every little thing involves the others person, it can get old rather quick. If I come home with a new gun and my wife actually figures out it's a different one, she now just sayS something like "that's nice" or "what's different about that one since it looks so similar" and I appreciate that even though I know she doesn't care, just like I say "man, that's a great purse!". I really don't care but if it makes her happy I'll show interest even if I'd rather be doing just about anything else!

Pay your bills then buy what you want; you've worked for it so enjoy it!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    ive never had any trouble with hitting a 6 inch target at 100 rounds with my AK and its a cheap romainan wasr10. go for one of the underfolders, you won't regret it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Is it her money you're spending? My wife does well at her job, but most bills are covered by me. We have a set amount of money that can be spent on luxuries every month and only if it's going to be exceeded do we talk about it with each other first. She knows how much I spend on my hobbies and that's fine. I know what she spends on her hobbies and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't dip into our money for bills or the money that goes into savings every month.

What I'm getting at here is that for any relation ship to work we need to make decisions together but we also need to be somewhat independent. You need to set a personal fun budget and whether that's $100 or $10,000 a month is up to you, but do it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't mean to play psychologist here, I just know from experience when every little thing involves the others person, it can get old rather quick. If I come home with a new gun and my wife actually figures out it's a different one, she now just sayS something like "that's nice" or "what's different about that one since it looks so similar" and I appreciate that even though I know she doesn't care, just like I say "man, that's a great purse!". I really don't care but if it makes her happy I'll show interest even if I'd rather be doing just about anything else!

Pay your bills then buy what you want; you've worked for it so enjoy it!
    I will. The problem right now is the 'just starting out'. Right now I'm the one making the most money, so most of the bills fall to me. She just got this awesome job and hasn't gotten paid yet, once that starts coming in regularly things will work a bit differently, but until we get othe things a bit more stabilized we have to agree on major purchases. Especially since we have more immediate needs than funding our hobbies. (Her car needs replacing, my car needs repairing... etc)

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I can pick one up at a local gun show for the same price, and leave with it in hand. It's just the issue of having the money. And, getting her to go along with it.
    Oh Yeah..If you can do that then that is the better option. Just make sure it is an FEG original Hungarian receiver, Chrome lined barrel, etc. But as was mentioned... even a wasr10 is a great option. I just love my Hungarian one. :)

As for starting a new life together.... I have some pretty good experience considering I got married 2 years ago. (actually exactly 2 years ago... Anniversary!) My wife and I set a budget and stick to it. I have a set amount per month to spend on gun stuff. That way she knows that I am not over spending. If I want to get a new gun for any reason we sit down and talk about pros and cons of the purchase. They KEY is communication. You start buying things behind her back and she finds out, guess what??? She no longer trusts you. I don't know about others, but I value my wife's trust and don't want to betray that.
    Anyhow, what works for us is simply communicating about it. And....I'll shut the psychology up now... :)
    joker1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If one that you are not yet legally bound to is eyeballing your purchases at this point...you're in trouble, and it isn't going to improve after marriage.
    I'd be working very hard to get that gun collection expanded and stabilized before any ceremony practice.OMOYMV
    Read the above carefully.Some of us know a few warning signs you might want to observe.I am with wife #4,she is wonderful for 10 years now.You are not yet married but you are worried about buying something you want with your money.Think.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Best Advice for marriage I was ever given:
    It is better and easier to get forgiveness, than it is to get permission

It has worked wonders in my marriage

At least if she kill's you before you are married - you have the satisfaction of leaving everything to the dog
    mr.stuart and thephanatik like this.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

Oh come on no one has said it? Fine I'll say it.

DIBS ON GUNS AND AMMO!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

This is lame. Do what you want to do. Women like men who don't seek approval all the time.

Wife 1.0 (must) think she is rough and tumble. She is lovingly called by friends, family and neighbors "The More Power Girl" (Tim Allen). We needed a chainsaw she wants the 18" Stihl, we needed a new mower she wanted the John Deere 160. I have no issues when I make a gun purchase other than trying to keep my new toy. More than once she has returned to the store to get the the same thing after trying to remove mine from my person. Luckily I don't have the most expensive taste in anything but I don't mind spending extra for quality..I never did need the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Oh come on no one has said it? Fine I'll say it.

DIBS ON GUNS AND AMMO!
    Thanks for the support...

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Thanks for the support...
    You're welcome! By the way I suggest getting the AK (I've got a hankering for one myself) of course the logical thing to do is talk with the prospective wife and at least feel out how many dozens of roses you're going to need to buy to quell the fury.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You're welcome! By the way I suggest getting the AK (I've got a hankering for one myself) of course the logical thing to do is talk with the prospective wife and at least feel out how many dozens of roses you're going to need to buy to quell the fury.
    Exactly. I have to make her accept it. I even tried 'I can put a scope on it, and a small magazine, and use it for hunting'. She laughed at me. (I don't hunt. Never have. Don't have a big enough rifle to shoot anything worth the ammo.)

Have you taken her out shooting yet? If you can arrange for your buddy's AK to be "available" to shoot, she might try it and then she may WANT you to have one-so she can later claim it as her own.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links