Defensive Carry banner

Fiancee is going to kill me.

3K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  TedBeau 
#1 ·
My fiancee is going to kill me. I know this, and I accept it. :dead:

I went to the outdoor rifle range with a friend today, and we spent some time trying to sight our .22 rifles in at 100yds. That went alright; my rifle is garbage without a scope (that's one strike with the fiancee- 'I need a scope for my rifle'-not gonna go over well), and his is great with just iron-sights.

Spent a little time with our handguns, my 24/7 and his 1911. Loads of fun, and I came home with almost as much brass as I left with.

Then came the really fun stuff; we pulled out my 12ga, and his AK (strike two- I touched an AK and now I HAVE to have one). So... he thought the shotgun was awesome. But I love the AK. I now need one; badly. My right shoulder is bruised rather nicely, and I can't wait until I can convince her that I should get one for myself.

#2 ·
Wait a minute - the AK bruised youir shoulder, and the shotgun didn't? Sounds backwards to me!

Better convince your betrothed BEFORE the big day that your shooting hobby is overall cheaper than golfing or boating in anything with dry seats and sail or motor.

I'm on Wife 2.0 and before we tied the knot, I told her "You buy a toilet brush, I buy a gun. You buy a tablecloth, I buy a gun. You buy a purse/pair of shoes/piece of jewelry, I buy a gun." We were kidding around, but the point was made and not one of my "hobby" purchases has come under fire (but I also don't go crazy with spending... my hobby takes maybe 5% of my take-home pay, after savings).

Reactions: cammo
#11 ·
Wait a minute - the AK bruised youir shoulder, and the shotgun didn't? Sounds backwards to me!
Shotgun came with a factory recoil pad. AK didn't.

ak's are fun & fun but a sks ( Chinese) may serve you better all around. plus it actually can hit at 100 yards a 6" target.
AK was hitting the target (most of the time), but, I wasn't as steady as I should have been- the heat was getting to me and my hands were shaking just a little.

#3 ·
ua needz a plan...for each 'item' you procure there is something she needs of comparable value.
ear rings are nice cause than you can match a necklace later...and a bangle ( buy all at once so you have a reserve)

now you stay alive and when she remarks about all your toys you can smile and ask her if she is still enjoying her earing's or perhaps ( as you whip it out)
she would like...this also.

ak's are fun & fun but a sks ( Chinese) may serve you better all around. plus it actually can hit at 100 yards a 6" target.
check out Cabala's cave for a used Nikon 3-9 for the 22. perhaps $80.
having fun , u2

#6 ·
Well, it's best you two get on the same page before you tie the knot. Makes things go a whole lot smoother. I was lucky my wife was into guns when we met. She bought me a gun for a 1st Christmas present.

#7 ·
I'm on wife 3.0. and she has bought me several of my favorite guns; if your fiance is going to give you continuous grief for buying guns, give up guns or...

Just sayin' ...

Reactions: garyacman
#9 ·
Yup. Now is your best chance to get this stuff straight and up front with her.

Stupid me thought I had the bases covered when I got married and explained that I've always had and always will have at least one motorcycle. I didn't even own a gun back then... :banghead: but thought I was being so wise to have protected my motorcycling habit.

It's been a long, rough road bringing her to accept my firearms addiction. :redface:

#37 ·
Yup. Now is your best chance to get this stuff straight and up front with her.
when I got married and explained that I've always had and always will have at least one motorcycle.
All I can say is that I was truly blessed when I found wife #2. Knowing that I love motorcycles, on the last day of our honeymoon, she pulled the car into our local dealer and told me to pick out the bike of my choice as her wedding present to me. Since then she got her license, her own ride, and her CCW. And yes, she does have a sister.

#10 ·
If one that you are not yet legally bound to is eyeballing your purchases at this point...you're in trouble, and it isn't going to improve after marriage.:nono:
I'd be working very hard to get that gun collection expanded and stabilized before any ceremony practice.OMOYMV

#16 ·
She doesn't fight it too much... we've ...'agreed'... that 'we' won't buy any more guns until after the wedding- there wasn't any limit to ammo purchases though. (and I noticed that the next time we talked about it, she threw in a part about 'after some of my student loans have been paid back'...) Not that I mind it- especially since my job sucks, and she's got a great job now that she's graduated.

But, still...

#12 ·
^^^Yeah...What??!!^^^ I have a muzzle break on mine that makes the recoil compare to my 10/22. I LOVE my AMD 65. You can get one here: AK AMD 65 Rifle Part #AKAGUN-AMD
This one has the same muzzle break as mine so you'll have little to no recoil. My wife can shoot it easy. (Side effect is the NOISE. This literally sounds like a cannon. With fireballs shooting out to the right and left.)

See if you can get her to get it for you! Its cheap!

My wife totaled my sports car as a wedding gift to me. :icon_neutral:

#14 ·
#13 ·
My wife had her own shotguns and rifles when we got together. She has no problems with my gun buying habit as long as we can afford it. I am thankful for her.

#15 ·
I save up 2X what I need and offer the same $ for her to spend on her hobbies. Wish she'd return the favor.
Speaking about trashing your stuff...
The SKS-M accepts AK mags, and is more accurate and reliable than the AK's. I think the CIA uses an AK with underfolder (M70 AB2)

Attachments

#17 ·
Is it her money you're spending? My wife does well at her job, but most bills are covered by me. We have a set amount of money that can be spent on luxuries every month and only if it's going to be exceeded do we talk about it with each other first. She knows how much I spend on my hobbies and that's fine. I know what she spends on her hobbies and I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't dip into our money for bills or the money that goes into savings every month.

What I'm getting at here is that for any relation ship to work we need to make decisions together but we also need to be somewhat independent. You need to set a personal fun budget and whether that's $100 or $10,000 a month is up to you, but do it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I don't mean to play psychologist here, I just know from experience when every little thing involves the others person, it can get old rather quick. If I come home with a new gun and my wife actually figures out it's a different one, she now just sayS something like "that's nice" or "what's different about that one since it looks so similar" and I appreciate that even though I know she doesn't care, just like I say "man, that's a great purse!". I really don't care but if it makes her happy I'll show interest even if I'd rather be doing just about anything else!

Pay your bills then buy what you want; you've worked for it so enjoy it!

#19 ·
I will. The problem right now is the 'just starting out'. Right now I'm the one making the most money, so most of the bills fall to me. She just got this awesome job and hasn't gotten paid yet, once that starts coming in regularly things will work a bit differently, but until we get othe things a bit more stabilized we have to agree on major purchases. Especially since we have more immediate needs than funding our hobbies. (Her car needs replacing, my car needs repairing... etc)

#18 ·
ive never had any trouble with hitting a 6 inch target at 100 rounds with my AK and its a cheap romainan wasr10. go for one of the underfolders, you won't regret it

#20 ·
I can pick one up at a local gun show for the same price, and leave with it in hand. It's just the issue of having the money. And, getting her to go along with it.
Oh Yeah..If you can do that then that is the better option. Just make sure it is an FEG original Hungarian receiver, Chrome lined barrel, etc. But as was mentioned... even a wasr10 is a great option. I just love my Hungarian one. :)

As for starting a new life together.... I have some pretty good experience considering I got married 2 years ago. (actually exactly 2 years ago... Anniversary!) My wife and I set a budget and stick to it. I have a set amount per month to spend on gun stuff. That way she knows that I am not over spending. If I want to get a new gun for any reason we sit down and talk about pros and cons of the purchase. They KEY is communication. You start buying things behind her back and she finds out, guess what??? She no longer trusts you. I don't know about others, but I value my wife's trust and don't want to betray that.
Anyhow, what works for us is simply communicating about it. And....I'll shut the psychology up now... :)

#22 ·
Best Advice for marriage I was ever given:
It is better and easier to get forgiveness, than it is to get permission

It has worked wonders in my marriage :smile:

#26 ·
Wife 1.0 (must) think she is rough and tumble. She is lovingly called by friends, family and neighbors "The More Power Girl" (Tim Allen). We needed a chainsaw she wants the 18" Stihl, we needed a new mower she wanted the John Deere 160. I have no issues when I make a gun purchase other than trying to keep my new toy. More than once she has returned to the store to get the the same thing after trying to remove mine from my person. Luckily I don't have the most expensive taste in anything but I don't mind spending extra for quality..I never did need the flash.

#30 ·
Have you taken her out shooting yet? If you can arrange for your buddy's AK to be "available" to shoot, she might try it and then she may WANT you to have one-so she can later claim it as her own.

#31 ·
She's already done that with my .45. But, she wouldn't like his AK because it kicks like hell (no recoil pad), it gets really hot on the fore-grip, and the trigger is so sensitive that I had it go off a few times unexpectedly (even after my first 30 rounds).

#34 ·
whatever happened to that wedding saying, "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?" Just use that on her when you bring home an OLD, but NEW to you AK after your friend let you BORROW one from him that left your shoulder black and BLUE. never ever jinx your marraige. hahaha

#35 ·
I know how you feel, I was shooting in a guys backyard the other day, I've got 3 handguns and have shot a couple rifles but don't own any. I shot a Mossberg Tactical shotgun (don't know which one) Now I NEED one. I'm pretty sure next paycheck Shell will be giving them away with fill-ups :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.