PlumCrazy polymer AR-15 lower

This is a discussion on PlumCrazy polymer AR-15 lower within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have any experience with these? I just stumbled on them today; a completely polymer lower, including the FCG. They are considerably lighter than ...

Thread: PlumCrazy polymer AR-15 lower

PlumCrazy polymer AR-15 lower

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I just stumbled on them today; a completely polymer lower, including the FCG. They are considerably lighter than the steel lowers, but about $100 less. They're made in Lake Havasu, Arizona.

At a LGS, I can get one of these polymer lowers, a DelTon upper, a p-mag and Magpul rear sight for $700. That's about $150 less than I can get a Bushmaster, locally, in the same configuration.

I've done some preliminary web searching; browsing a bit at AR dedicated forums and I haven't found any bad reviews, yet. A lot of people expressing a negative opinion, but not first hand experience.

PlumCrazy firearms
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    They are OK. I thought about ordering several at a discount just for people wanting to do cheap builds.

For the average shooter that shoots a few magazines a year and then puts their gun in a safe where it stays the rest of the time, they seem to work well.

For the guy that shoots several hundred rounds a week, they are polymer and I can see them not being ideal.
    There are some pictures floating around of one that cracked at the hinge points, so it can happen.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you search m4carbine you'll find a few examples of ones that split or cracked. Also, the FCG is plastic, that's a no go in my book. Not worth it for if you plan on actually using the rifle.

What will this rifle be used for?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    If you search m4carbine you'll find a few examples of ones that split or cracked. Also, the FCG is plastic, that's a no go in my book. Not worth it for if you plan on actually using the rifle.

Rabbits, and maybe a carbine class once a year.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Is the weak link the FCG?

What does a standard metal FCG cost?

The guys at the LGS explained that the lower isn't a stress point, and therefore can hold up to more abuse than the upper.

I know exactly squat; just repeating what I heard.

VIP Member
    Having just shopped around for, and built a lower I can tell you this. A good stripped aluminum lower can be had for $45 plus shipping from AIM surplus. A parts kit can be had for about $60 to $120 bucks depending on what you want. I suggest getting an aluminum lower. Links:

Oops, I'm at work and I don't want to go to those sights on a Government computer. Follow this thread and use the links in post # 2 and post # 6 to where you need to go.

Who makes good AR-15 lowers
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Plastic pins and poor fit with some uppers. Pass

You can get a decent Stripped lower and with a delton,or model 1 gun kit put together a gun for around $650.00.
    I remember Cavalry Arms in Arizona made complete Polymer lowers before Uncle Sugar shut them down,Any chance this is a spinoff Company
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Cav arms lowers are a completely different design than the PC lower. The PC lower is similiar in design to the Carbon15 lower. I just picked up a complete PC lower to throw a lightweight upper on for the kids..will most likely replace the plastic componets with a quality LPK at some point.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Wow! Look at all of the controls, they're plastic too! NO THANKS! I honestly wouldn't have one of these if they were free.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Shotgun News web page is undergoing an overhaul now, but they ran an article about doing a cheap AR build using a Plum Crazy lower, a couple/few months ago. The author liked it for what it is. Check it out later when the site is back up. I can't find my copy right now, been doing some spring cleaning.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Links