Convert your AR-15 to full auto, legally

This is a discussion on Convert your AR-15 to full auto, legally within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually it's NOT full auto but you'd never know it. It's a new, easy to install, butt-stock called 'SlideFire' for Ar-15 that does controlled bump ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Convert your AR-15 to full auto, legally

Actually it's NOT full auto but you'd never know it. It's a new, easy to install, butt-stock called 'SlideFire' for Ar-15 that does controlled bump firing. (around $350) It's apparently declared legal by the ATF. Since the trigger needs to be pulled each time by the user it technically is not full auto. However, it will empty a 30 round mag in about 3 or 4 seconds. Look at the videos you'll be amazed how it fires just like a fully auto machine gun. Gunblast does a positive review and shows how it works.

I can't help but wonder how firing range management will react when you light this thing up. You might want to warn them first as it will quickly attract a crowd.

Check it out..

http://http://www.gunblast.com/SlideFire.htm
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

My buddy has one just for fun. I don't see the point, but I own a full auto MP5, so maybe I'm over it. Either way, in order to control a full auto 5.56, we need solid contact with the stock. The way the slide fire works, you need to pull the rifle away from you, and the stock, in order to pull the trigger since your finger in essentially on a rest in front of it.

A novelty for sure, but I don't believe it has a place anywhere but on a static range to show you buddies... Just my .02.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I did a review on this stock a while ago. It's pretty slick and it does work as advertised.

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Senior Moderator
    Its actually more accurate than full auto fire because the recoil mechanism compensates for the up and to the right movement that happens in full auto fire.

Rather than bounce around and launch bullets into the air, the stock mechanism comes straight back, putting more bullets on target. It does work and its a blast to shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

did he say $15,000 as in fifteen thousand dollars for his fully auto Colt? That has to be a mistake. $1500 I could see.... but not the extra 0 on the end.

Slide fire thing looks neat, maybe one day when I have run out of practical things to spend money on.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    did he say $15,000 as in fifteen thousand dollars for his fully auto Colt? That has to be a mistake. $1500 I could see.... but not the extra 0 on the end.

Slide fire thing looks neat, maybe one day when I have run out of practical things to spend money on.
    That is correct. Talk about the ultimate price gouging. That is the price civilians who want to legally own a machine gun generally pay. Give or take a thousand dollars or two here and there. Then there's the $200 tax stamp on top of it. It is utterly ridiculous.

However, police departments don't pay anywhere near that price. Government LE Agencies pay closer to the $1,500 - $2,000 price range for a full auto Colt.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Heck, I paid more than that for my MP5. But, I just got an offer for $3,000 more than I paid so we may be parting ways. The nice thing about full auto is that you can usually make your money back (plus some at times) if you buy right in the first place.

I don't know, I have limited experience with this stock and for me it's not more accurate that a full auto AR. I run full auto quite a bit though and only played with this stock a few times. Maybe if we're doing a mag dump the reciprocating stock is a good thing, but with accurate burst fire it doesn't seem as good. Maybe that comes from the grip needed to run it reliably. I can use my normal grip with my support hand extended pretty far and the vert grip as more of a hand stop. To get it running right and I had to wrap my hand completely around the vert grip, which give up some controllability, at least for me.

Maybe I'm looking at different than everyone else here, but to me there's no practical purpose for this thing, and right there I can't view it as more than a toy.... Meaning it's not worth training on in any way and it serves no real purpose, so what's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    That is correct. Talk about the ultimate price gouging. That is the price civilians who want to legally own a machine gun generally pay. Give or take a thousand dollars or two here and there. Then there's the $200 tax stamp on top of it. It is utterly ridiculous.

However, police departments don't pay anywhere near that price. Government LE Agencies pay closer to the $1,500 - $2,000 price range for a full auto Colt.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I had to check prices... I can't believe that prices are that high... that ban has to go.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

As you can tell from the video, I have both a full-auto Colt M16A2 and the Slide Fire stock. I agree, the Slide Fire is not more accurate. If you watch the video of me shooting the M16 closely and then compare that to the Slide Fire, you can see quite a bit more movement in the Slide Fire setup. That's because the rifle can move around pretty loosely in the stock (and it has to be free to move back and forth) including side to side a bit. With a M16 you can pull it tight into your shoulder and minimize movement. With the Slide Fire you can't pull it tight into your shoulder, you have to let it move around for it to work.

However, it works quite well and is very fun. While it might not be practical for a fighting rifle (actually, I would caution against using it for serious work) it is a great novelty and allows people who otherwise couldn't afford the high cost of getting into NFA a chance to play with something that very closely resembles full-auto fire.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I had to check prices... I can't believe that prices are that high... that ban has to go.
    I paid about $8k for it when I bought it. I found it NIB about 10 years ago. It's a real Colt M16A2 that's marked "AUTO" and not "BURST". It came with a full-auto trigger and not a burst trigger from Colt. It's not as common as other Colt M16 configurations and they tend to sell for a bit more than standard A1's and A2's with burst markings.

I'd give anything for an $8,000 M16 lower! Well, you'll make double your money if you sell it, good investment. You can barely find those auto sears, or whatever they're called, for that much at today's prices. If I was doing it over, I'd have gotten the M16 instead of the MP5. I'm sure I will eventually.

The only advantage auto fire has is to gain fire superiority in a combat fire fight, such as a near ambush scenario. Although fun to play with, it's not really necassary for uses such as anyone of us is likely to encounter. For he fighting man on the front, economy of fire is a real issue. For many years m16s have been equiped with three round burst rather than full auto for this reason.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Glockman,

Most people with much experience with firearms would agree full-auto fire has limited practical uses outside of the military. Many people mistake full-auto fire for being a death-ray, when in reality in most peoples hands its little more than an expensive noise maker. Even in the military you'll find the majority of the time the selector will be set in semi, not full mode. The Slide Fire stock mimics full-auto, it doesn't really achieve it.

The Slide Fire stock is a novelty, really. It's meant to give the average AR15 owner the ability to experience full-auto fire without having to jump through all the legal hoops to do so, not to mention the costs involved. It's still an expensive noise maker, but I don't believe it's being marketed as a serious tool for miltiary/LEO work.

Senior Moderator
    The beauty of this thing lies in its ability to mimic full auto fire. While I'll agree that it is not as accurate as a controlled burst, that is not an issue to the people that have never fired a select fire rifle.What it does do is get more people shooting something purely for fun and that's not a bad thing. Shooting doesent always have to be about self defense, kicking down doors, shooting a badguy at a thousand yards or any thing serious. It can be nothing more than taking a gun that is fun to shoot and spending some time with the kids or friends. I've known of two young guys that didnt have much of an interest in shooting,until they say this thing on You Tube. That got them interested in shooting and several of the guys that own these things invited them to go with them. Yeah, they shot a few thousand rounds and those two boys had a blast and they told every friend they had about it. Every now and then something comes along in the world of firearms that does make people raise their eyebrows and this is one of them. If it gets more people "on board "its even better.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Militaryguns and Hotguns, understand and agree all all points. Actually, I never thought about from that perspective.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links