New 870 - Page 2

New 870

This is a discussion on New 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Actually, you would prabably be better served with number 4 in an apartment where penetration could be an issue. For that matter, I doubt that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 870

Senior Moderator
    Actually, you would prabably be better served with number 4 in an apartment where penetration could be an issue.

For that matter, I doubt that anyone could stand a hunting load of number 6 shot. That would be even better for close quarters living.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well lets talk about this. I have 00 in mine but I am very concerned about pentration. I have a two year old on the other side of the house and I have to be careful about the direction I fire in. Would #4 Buck be better in that respect? I know some folks in my predicament load with birdshot but I don't agree with that school of thought. There is not nearly enough penetration most of the time even at inside range.

C'mon guys lets debate this.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Moderator
    Well...look at it like this.

If some of that #00 gets away from you when shooting a badguy and you inadvertently kill your kid on the other side of the wall, you really havent accomplished much.

Using #6 shot will do the same thing to the perp, without the danger of going though a standard stud wall, and those that do wont have the energy to do much.

A standard load of 6 wont "open" up for at least several feet, and if the BG is in range it will be basically like hitting him with a slug. Even if it didnt put him down right there, he couldnt stand getting hit with a few more shots.

Seriously, would anyone here want to take a load of even #shot at less than 15 or 20 feet ?

If you are worried about penetration, the lighter loads would be better.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This has been debated over and over again. To each his own on what one chooses to use. The box-o-truth pretty much tells the whole story anyway, if I had the link to it I'd post it.

I use OO buck and I am very aware of rule #4! I have a house on 5 acres though.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    As HG says - heavy BB's and slugs in particular could well be ambarrassing re penetration regarding walls.

I keep #4 loads in my 870 and reckon that these at close quarters will very easily ''deter'' any aggressor!

BTW Bob - scroll up to my post #4 - you'll see my ''Special Purpose'' and it's 20" which I am sure was as supplied to the guy I bought it from. Lovely shottie BTW it takes screw in chokes and the guy I bought from had the rifles choke to use for his Turkey shooting. I keep the full choke installed (wonder why!! !)
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P-95
    When you say #4 loads are you talking about #4 Buck or #4 shot (rabbit load)?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    #4 shot Doc - what I always called that back in old UK. I used it for rabbit work yes - most effective.

Here is a reminder chart - my # 4 is of course top row.

Chris - P95

P95 Carry

You were allowed to own a shotgun in the UK? Would you elaborate a little about firearm ownership or lack there of in the UK, please?

Assistant Administrator
    Doc - yes in UK I always had shotguns and still could now if still there.

I lost my 24 handgun collection in 1997 but kept my longarms and shotties. I only actually imported four guns when I came over in 2000 - two shotties, a .577 ML Musketoon and, my venerable Mauser Oberndorfe .22 rifle. Sold others.

As of now as I understand it - shotties and hunting rifles are OK (no semi's) - that presumes you can provide ''good reason''

All my old club buddies who also lost their handguns continued fun shooting using levers like Win 94 carbines - and so still could use handgun ammo.

That is about how I remember it being right now. Great huh!
    Chris - P95

I paid $249 for mine and it's parkerized with an extension so it takes 6 in the mag and 1 in the pipe, but I got it from Dick's Sporting goods back in February
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

$299 out the door for mine...came with extension and black synthetic stocks. Rem 870 HD express all black...all business..stoked with OO buck..and 1oz. slugs if needed.
    Brad B.

Ok as this is on the list for my next gun purchase i looked around. Indeed there has been 2 price increases from the manufacture and is now $399 for the express. the 2 dealers i checked didn't have any in stock and could only order for $399. Went across the road to dicks sporting goods ad low and behold they have 4 on clearance for $279. Mine is now on layaway :P. Also anyone have an opinion for the Tamer Pistol Grip from hogue?
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

I already had an 870 Express and found a good deal on an 18" barrel on Ebay and gun parts corp had the two round remington extensions on sale for 414.95. I have seen those extensions go for over $100.

I bought an extended Wilson spring and follower and now I have a really nice defensive shotgun for just a little extra money. I have always wanted an 18" extended mag shotgun.

I went to the range with some 00 buck and some slugs and did a bunch of shooting. It shot really well and I was amazed at how accurate the slug was at 40 yards with just a bead sight.

Here is the link to the remington Extension if youare interested.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

First Mod

I added a 4 round sidesaddle, so I don't interfere with the pump, Feels much nicer now with extra ammo on hand. Oh yeah, brass down for reloads.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Since im in a house i use 00 backed with slug then 00 again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links