New 870

New 870

This is a discussion on New 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought a new 870 Magnum for Home Defense. Parkerized finish, 12 gauge, 8 shot, for $299. Is that a rip-off? Also looking for advice on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 870

New 870

Bought a new 870 Magnum for Home Defense. Parkerized finish, 12 gauge, 8 shot, for $299. Is that a rip-off? Also looking for advice on a light mount. Any advice is welcome.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

for a 870 it sounds like a good deal to me i haven't priced them in a ling time though

Sounds pretty good. Is it the express model, police model or wingmaster?

I can get an 870 express with extended mag and parkerized for around $248.00 when there on sale and about $260.00 when there not. So if it's this model, I'd say you paid a bit to much depending on your area and what they are worth there but not a big deal.

As far as a light? you can spend even more on just that than you paid for the gun.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Assistant Administrator
    Seems about a fair deal.

I bought mine from a guy with health probs and he'd barely used it - paid $250 and was happy enough. He had hoped to use it for Turkey.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    That's what I paid for my 5 rd 870. I hate to tell you this but if you would have waited for the 1st of Aug you could have saved $30 because Remington has a rebate starting then. I've been kicking myself since I found out.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I've saw one of those 870s not to long ago and the shop wanted $325 or so. I think you are in the ballpark with the amount you paid.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Local price for the Express HD 870 just like you mentioned is $299 So for around here I'd say you are about even. Not a great deal compared to others, but considering you get an awesome HD gun for that price I'd say its good.

As for the light mount I'd say save up and buy the Surefire Weaponlight forearm. Or you can visit wilson combat and buy the tri-rail pump arm and add a regular surefire to save some dough.

Administrator

Thumbs up

You could have bought one for a bit less here but, not enough to lose any sleep over.
    The main thing is you've got it now.

Congratulations.

Oh BTW I changed your abbreviation HD in your post to Home Defense.

Lots of newbie shooters here will not know what an HD Shotgun is.

Fellas, I want one bad. Well, maybe the tooth fairy will hook me up.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

thanks QK, sometimes I'm just to lazy to spell
    I would like to wait until Aug. 1st, but my trigger finger won't let me.
    Bought some #4 shot for it, that is what you guys reccomend. Thanks for the info.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Yep I used to use 00 buck but I'm switching to #4. I'll take 27 pellets over 9. I belive the #4 will dump more energy and will deliver much more trama.

I retract my first statement, seems as if they have had a price surge around here. That same 870 I said I could get here for $260.00 not on sale! well I just looked it up from my same FFL dealer and it is now $315.00. I should have bought it back then. Even with the rebate in August I will be spending more now, I wonder if the rebate is the reason for the increase? Something is funny around here.

The Marine Magnum is also more, it was $519.95 is now $565.00! has anyone herd of a price jump with Remmington as of late?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Moderator
    Just a note about 870's that no one seems to notice...

the "Express" 870's are not parkerized, they are bead blasted and blued for a dull finish. Their stocks and forearms are made from hardwood. These are what Walmart and other stores usaully sell anywhere from 230 up to 260. They are not a bad deal.

The "Special Purpose"is a different shotgun and it will be printed on the reciever. It is a parkerized finish, had handrubbed oiled walnut stocks and will generally come with a 26 inch barrel or a rifled barrel whereas the Express will usaully have a 28 inch barrel.

The Special Purposes will be at least $100 more than the Express...sometimes more. These were the first "turkey hunting" shotguns that came out around 1982.

Although they look alot alike, they really arent.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Yep I used to use 00 buck but I'm switching to #4. I'll take 27 pellets over 9. I belive the #4 will dump more energy and will deliver much more trama.
    Not exactly. A few studies showed that #4 shot didnt have near the penetration that 00 or 000 buck did and that there were more failures to stop immediatley. I believe that was at 25 yards.

Although I cant remember the source, (maybe FBI study?) it caused a lot a Police depts. to switch from no.4 buck to 00 or 000 buck.

Of course, if you are in your house and the range is measured in feet instead of yards, I doubt that it would matter...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes I know that at a distance the 00 will probably work better. But My 870's main role is for inside the apartment and at those distances I believe #4 to be equal of better.

For those longer shots I have 1oz slugs and rifle sights on my 870. I'll be keeping a healthy supply of #4, 00, and slugs around so I'll have my options.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links