Range report, EMF Just Right pistol caliber carbine.

This is a discussion on Range report, EMF Just Right pistol caliber carbine. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, not really a range report but more of a range sighting since I didn't get to shoot it, but I did work on it ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Range report, EMF Just Right pistol caliber carbine.

Range report, EMF Just Right pistol caliber carbine.

Ok, not really a range report but more of a range sighting since I didn't get to shoot it, but I did work on it and came away favorably impressed. A customer walked in with a Just Right Carbine from EMF. It was set up for 9mm and used Glock magazines. The customer wanted a red dot TruGlo 2x scope mounted and when I did I got to examine the rifle up close. It is pretty modular and can be changed to left or right ejection with the reciprocating bolt handle placed on either side. As a lefty, I like this a lot, and switching sides is as easy as fieldstripping the gun. The stock and grip were AR15 parts, but I did not think to check if the buffer tube was of commercial spec or mil-spec. The top rail was too low for the optic and a riser was needed and mounted with no issues. Backup iron sights would probably work fine, but none are included with the gun. The barrel had a unique profile, not sure if its for gee-whiz or if there is some kind of functional advantage. The owner was able to zero with no problem and make headshots all the way out to 25 yards with range ball. Magazines were all new Glock 19 magazines, I'm not sure what magazines came with the gun.

Link:
    J R CARBINE - EMF Company

And my opinion:
    This would be a great carbine for SHTF, hurricane, zombie, or other disaster, especially for family use. A family could keep a Glock pistol and one of these and only need one caliber of ammo and one kind of magazine. beginner or novice shooters or shooters not proficient with a handgun can get good accuracy with a carbine. Ballistic performance can be better than a handgun with some loads, and while it's not a .223 it lets you get handgun performance out to probably 100+ yards.

Bottom line, one is on my list to add to my Marlin Camp45 and Ruger PC9 (and my ARs)
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    It seems like a nice idea.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It is a cool looking gun, and the ambi features are great for lefty's but not needed in my situation as I'm right handed.

The Kel Tec Sub-2000 is much more reasonably priced for what you get out of it.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree with Bark'n. For the use and range its designed for, open sights are a definite requirement for me, and the Kel tec wins here in my book.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I admit I have a lot more experience with the Kel Tec. I
    care for several belonging to a local PD. But, the JRC is available in .45, and an affordable .45 carbine is hard to find.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Well, now we're talking .45, I agree. That's one of the things I liked about the old Marlin Camp Carbines. It used to be offered on both 9mm and .45 ACP. I'm not sure if it's still made in .45 ACP. From what I've heard, just the 9mm offering is what is being made.

I always thought .45 ACP would get a little better boost in a 16 inch barrel.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    So do you use regular handgun loads with these or must you load a special type of powder or mix to get that extra performance....isn't that long barrel going to fizzle out all the powder before the bullet comes out the barrel?

It's a very big pistol.

If I am lugging around a rifle, I want a rifle.

I'd rather have a .30-30 and be able to reach out 200yds to let you know I loved you or a $120 Mosin Nagant and be able to say "SIT DOWN" at 500yds than be carrying a 9mm pistol with a stock and a long barrel.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    9mm nato exhausts itself in 15" ( corrected myself) inches. theres not a lot of room in the case for just pour in more powder.
    I'll talk to Scotty about possibly him loaning me some of his 'mixture' and we can get more gooder propellant...

I'm toying with the numbers, got to do some research. EMF has a fine stable of iron.

ballisticsbytheinch.com is useful

Mitchell---another mosin lover...mighty boom stick we love so much
    Last edited by claude clay; June 17th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I recall when testing loads for my Ruger PC9 and Camp 45 way back when that most loads got better velocity, some lost performance from the long barrel. IIRC the subsonic 9mm that was so popular back then was much better from the carbine.

This site lists ballistics from carbines. They take a rifle barrel and cut it down an inch at a time and chronograph each load. The data seems reputable and about everything gets a significant improvememt.

BBTI - 9mm Luger

In .45 my preferred load gets 1100fps or so from a 5" pistol, well over 1300 in a carbine.

BBTI - 45 Auto

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Nice link Superhouse. Thanks.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Mitchell---another mosin lover...mighty boom stick we love so much
    I don't have one yet...but will...

For what they are - A cheap rifle that isn't gabage, and will allow someone to do decent rifle work to let someone else know how you feel about them - they are unbeatable.

The idea of a sub gun is to not be a rifle or pistol. It is to bridge the gap between where a handgun ends and rifle range begins. It's a very sound concept. Imagine a pistol and rifle that share mags and ammo. Imagine a compact weapon capable of accurate, effective aimed fire from 25 to 150 yards, that folds up into a 16 inch length, uses 33 rme mags and fits in a lap top computer case, briefcase, or back pack. I think there's a definite place for a sub gun, especially the kel tec sub 2000. It will even fit into motorcycle saddlebags.
    Justified likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

For the longest time I've been trying to find a reliable, ergonomic, relatively accurate subgun in 45. I'd like it to be easy to use, fast to reload and instinctive. I've been through a few and always end up back at the AR. I have an 8" AR that is very reliable, small and very easy to use as I train on the AR regularly. I was first interested in the subgenus because of the retractable stock…..until I shot one retracted, that is, and found that I need the stock for any serious work.

If we're just talking 9mm, I believe I have one of the ultimate subguns and could easily stop there. But, I wanted the 45 in the same size package. That led me to an 8" KRISS. It's an ok gun, though expensive and has a horrible trigger. I had a few issues with extraction and couldn't easily fix it like I could any of my other guns. So, another failed attempt at the 45, though it's still a decent range toy.

My problem is that with the stock in place, I'm not gaining anything over a short AR. I've settled on a 10.5" mk18 that I believe I've traded one of my KAC SR15 uppers for, but I still have the 8" PSD that works very well.

Now, that leads me to look at the AR style for the a decent 45, but then my question is why? I can get as reliable of a gun, if not more, by staying with 5.56 that is still a rifle round. So, I don't see why we would go this route when we could use a 5.56? Just curious as to anyone else's reasoning behind this.

Here's a couple of mine that fit into this size group…. Having quite a bit of experience on these guns pictured plus a number of others, I just can't see any reason to not use an 8" to 10.5" AR in a rifle caliber. The MP5 has it's place, but there's very rarely a reason for choosing it over a similarly sized AR. The only argument I've heard, and this is a bit silly, is from an agency that said they looked at it as added insurance should they have an instance of friendly fire… The 9mm from the MP5 would not penetrate their vests where the 5.56 would travel right through…. and this was SWAT.

As you can see from these pics, sizes are very similar and with the classes I've taken for subguns (only two, but one was advanced and in a shoot-house), it's always been suggested that the stock be extended immediately and fired from a shoulder, even in the tightest of areas including vehicles and room clearing. Just throwing all this out there and would love to hear others reasoning here for subguns and if anyone actually thinks theres a place for them over an equally sized AR… I'm very interested in hearing the reasoning and under what training you came to that conclusion.

Sorry if I veered off topic!

KRISS with my buddy's PWS Diablo 7" upper on my lower

My LWRC PSD 8"

KRISS and full auto MP5

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Reason for a pistol caliber carbine? Simple - not everyone can handle the recoil of a rifle, even an intermediate caliber like the 5.56. I imagine my wife would like to shoot a 9mm or .45 carbine a whole lot better than my 5.56 Mini 14 or .30-30 Marlin 336...and certainly better than my shotgun.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links