Co-witness video

This is a discussion on Co-witness video within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the hunt for an AR-15. So, I've been reading up on it and doing reconnaissance in local gun stores. I am sure that ...

Thread: Co-witness video

Co-witness video

I'm in the hunt for an AR-15. So, I've been reading up on it and doing reconnaissance in local gun stores.

I am sure that I want to run irons on it, but was unsure on the optics; I specifically had questions on co-witnessing irons and a red-dot.

I had read some on it, but at a LGS today, I happened upon two, used ARs with both types of optic systems installed.

The first was an Aimpoint of some type, I forget, but it had a 1 MOA dot. It was rigged for the lower 1/3 co-witness. I really liked it.

The second had an EO-Tech, with a halo around a dot, forming an absolute witness. The halo and dot combo was cool, but I didn't like all that traffic around the front sight post. It seemed like way too much stuff to focus on.

When I got home, I hit the www and stumbled on a youtube video that did a really good job of explaining the co-witness system.

I have decided that I want the solo dot, with a 1/3 witness. This video helped re-affirm my decision.

I wanted to share the video, in case there are other recent AR coverts that have similar questions.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Here's some pics I took for a recent thread explaining the views with irons up, down and co-witnessed through a T1 in a lower 1/3rd mount...

Here's how I like it set up with only the from sight up and how it should look when using the optic regularly.

Here's how it should look when used normally with both the front and rear employed, or fixed front and rear.

Here's how it should look when you lower your head and look through the rear sight. This is not how you should use this set up regularly. It is a quick way to verify zero and get you on paper if you change your optic, or whatever reason your zero is off. This is using the LaRue 660 lower 1/3rd co-witness mount. (I tried! Sorry for the crummy pics.)

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Well, I have two ARs - one with an EOTech, and one with an AimPoint T1. Both are set up for lower third co-witness.

Having gone through significant AR training with the EOT-equipped carbine, I can assure you that you will not be 'messed up' by a sight picture with that 65-MOA ring and the front sight. If your brain is engaged, you won't even SEE the front sight unless you are concentrating on it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i had a straight co-witness. though i gave my eotec to my off sprung as ive placed 3-gun on hold for the summer.
    your 1/3 system has merit. worth exploring when i set up again. good luck to ua.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Well, I have two ARs - one with an EOTech, and one with an AimPoint T1. Both are set up for lower third co-witness.

Having gone through significant AR training with the EOT-equipped carbine, I can assure you that you will not be 'messed up' by a sight picture with that 65-MOA ring and the front sight. If your brain is engaged, you won't even SEE the front sight unless you are concentrating on it.
    I believe you, with one proviso. The dot and halo combo that I played with was an absolute witness, whereas the one you mention is a 1/3rd witness.

I believe, for my application, that the lower 1/3rd witness gives an easier sight picture. The halo that I looked at seemed to really crowd the front sight, using the absolute witness.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

RKM
    I'm the furthest thing from an expert, But I keep my rear sight down and just let me retical float around. Where it is, is where the bullet goes. I'm not concerned whether it's lined up with the front sight post or not. I find this beneficial because it allows for quick target acquisition. They're parallax free, and I take advantage of it. With irons, you need a 100% perfect, consistent cheekweld ALL the time. If my rear sight is up, the holosight is either turned off (shooting irons for the heck of it), batteries are dead, or the holosight is broken. But that's just me.

Honestly, I really like flip down front sights. But the one I have is a gas block sight post and didn't fit with my DD Omega X rail, so I put the standard sight back on. A clear view of just the floating retical is my very first preference. Again, that's just me :)

Links