scope sight placement?

This is a discussion on scope sight placement? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A question for those who own a rifle with a regular scope (not an Aimpoint-style scope). With the barrel horizontal, what is the horizontal distance ...

Thread: scope sight placement?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

scope sight placement?

A question for those who own a rifle with a regular scope (not an Aimpoint-style scope). With the barrel horizontal, what is the horizontal distance between the rear of the scope and the trigger on yours?

I have an AR15 and the scope is long enough, with the front end behind the front iron sight, to place the back end of the scope about 5.25 inches behind the trigger. This seems too far back to me, but I am pretty ignorant of this subject, so I would like to get an idea of what works for others.

2. Remove Ads

Really the eye relief is the most important aspect, and it is so individual that things like the distance behind the trigger isn't going to be of much use.

You want the scope in a position so that from your normal cheek weld on the stock, you have no scope shadow (black around the edges), and a nice, clear field of view. Of course, you want a little distance between your eye and most scopes as well.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

"most" scopes with proper eye relief will have the back of the scope near, but not past the rear of the upper receiver.. if it is hanging over the rear stock, chances are its way to far back..
    always set eye relief with the scope at full power,, not low
    this 1 "may" be a tad to far back

like this

also, watch this

YouTube - ‪Set up Your Scope for Success - Rifle Shooting Technique - NSSF Shooting Sportscast‬‏

Also when shooting with a scope make sure stock is pulled into shoulder and you have a good cheek weld so your body so everything recoils together,or you too can join the Scope-Eye club. My wife is a member
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Thanks for all the good data!

I took the rifle to a gunsmith to have the front sight replaced with a low-profile gas block. That will allow clearance for any scope.
    Last edited by Anubis; June 21st, 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Links