357 Mag Rifle

This is a discussion on 357 Mag Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by atctimmy The idea seems nice on the surface but under closer scrutiny it's not really that practical. The lever action carbines are ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 Mag Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The idea seems nice on the surface but under closer scrutiny it's not really that practical. The lever action carbines are just way better.
    Depends on what you place as your priority in the choosing. Capacity, and quick shot - lever
    Scope mounting, lock time, and the ability to use 35 caliber rifle bullets and dual calibers-bolt gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Another advantage to the bolt action is that you can reload pointed bullets. Whereas, a tube fed lever is limited to LeverEvolution, or flat nosed bullets.

A bit of advantage for the guy that like to cook up his own loads, and wring out the best accuracy that he can.

Still, I would rather the lever, myself.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

There are a lot of benefits to having a rifle in the same caliber as a pistol. The choice between bolt action or lever comes down to personal preference or intended purpose. At least there is another option available. I chose the Marlin 1894C several years ago and it has been sweet. The only other rifle that is more fun to shoot is my pump .22.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am going to Buds Gun Shop Saturday and ordering one. The more I think about it, the more I want it.

I have some 35 caliber Spitzers in the 200 weight that will be fun to try out. This actually may be one of the worlds most versatile rifles.
    ccman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Don't forget pics and range report
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Don't forget pics and range report
    I won't, but I may have to email it to someone to post for me because a virus wiped out my hard drive and I can't download or save pics. :(

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Stan---the niche i believe is filled by those whose cars have lots of numbers on them--like 450sel and 750iLL
    and the license plates have DDS somewhere on them to.
    So you think this gun will be a hit among dentists who specialize in oral surgery?

That's the only thing I think of when I hear 450sel / 750iLL and DDS in the same sentence...

I got the same email from Ruger. Kudos to them for putting iron sights on that rifle.

For the money, I'd also stick with a lever gun - my Marlin 336 in .30-30 cost less than $500 NIB including a scope, mount, and sling. I really like being able to top off the tubular mag. I also like being able to run the gun with just a bag or ammo in my pockets - I just don't think too many civilians are going to grab up a bunch of spare mags if they need to use their rifle. In essence, a lever gun requires less "support gear."

As far as having a scope on it - I see a rifle being used in situations of temporary societal breakdown (riots, looting, that sort of thing). If you need to take a shot, there is a high probability that there will be others around, so you'd better be accurate with your shot. Where I live, there are homes all around, so a miss could have grave consequences. Hence, the scope. In my experience dealing with mobs of people - once you take out the leaders (or loudest troublemakers) the rest of the mob tends to scatter. While you don't need a sniper rifle, you do need more accuracy than most people can get with iron sights.

ETA - for close to the price of this rifle in .357, you can get their Scout rifle in .308, with a 10-rd box mag. At this price level, the Scout makes more sense to me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    id rather have a lever action personally
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    So you think this gun will be a hit among dentists who specialize in oral surgery?

That's the only thing I think of when I hear 450sel / 750iLL and DDS in the same sentence...
    well, there is that.... but i was going in the

---follow the money---direction. there are many at my club, doctors,mayors, lawyers,ceo's and having seemingly unlimited discretionary money, show up weekly with new at any price items. these are fun people to play with
    with an MSRP of $800 and Marlin 1894c at $500 it is pricey.
    ruger rotary ( reliable, 5 shots and probably $25 each) lets add $100 for extras...~$900 vs 500; 5 rounds vs 9+1
    accuracy for the ruger i am not aware of but by their standards it should come in under 2" at 50 yards ( why 50 yards i guess is their way with pistol calibers. as I've noticed with their 44 mag.) my marlin with a nikon 3-9x40 with my loads (near max 2400 and 158 hornady HP's and a firm roll crimp) prints nice under 1.5" at 100 yards. how much better a bolt can be is to be discovered. a friend will have one soon enough and i have ammo left over from my testing ( various powders/weights) and we'll get his running best it can. even scope it to keep the game even. fun is in the discovery.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Baloney, is all I have to say on "accuracy". This bolt action will no more accurate than any good lever action. I have a 24" barrel .357 Cowboy Marlin, and I'll nail a 50 cent piece at 200 yrds every time with iron sites. It will easily take a scope if you want one.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Ruger also has their 77/44 carbine--a bolt action, rotary mag fed .44 magnum (used the same mag as their Deerfield semi-auto).

As I recall CDNN had them for around $350 a little while back...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

It's not meant or marketed as a bug out gun, it's a damn brush gun. Why anyone would even suggest it for that roll is beyond me. I have many rifles, and I look forward to adding this one also. I have 3 Marlin lever guns which I enjoy, but driving 50 cent pieces at 200 yards with any consistancy, well, if this was poker, I'd have to call.
    It's great to be able to pick and choose, but I think many miss the virtues of the advantages that this has over a lever gun, that may have more weight depending on what the shooter wants it for.
    Just another great rifle with unique virtues for the tool box.

Now, as far as accuracy debate on lever vs bolt, the bolt has at least 2 qualities that will give it an advantage in mechanical accuracy, and they are well documented, and are known by riflemen. These would be a one piece stock, and quicker lock time. Lock time is a well known influence on accuracy.

I think Tom Horn was the last to use a lever gun for a sniper rifle. Now it's mainly bolts; there's a reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It's not meant or marketed as a bug out gun, it's a damn brush gun. Why anyone would even suggest it for that roll [sic] is beyond me.
    Well, this is the Defensive Carry forum...and the Defensive Rifles & Shotguns subforum, so...

I agree that this is a cool rifle, and if I had a .357 revolver anymore, I could see getting one. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to buy many "fun guns," especially at this price. All my firearms are for a specific defensive purpose.

Maybe some day... *sigh*
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Yeah, sometimes I forget this is a Defense Forum. I also forget that in some geographical areas this rifle may be useless. But here in Ky in the hill country, where dense cover make for shorter shots it's a great idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links