357 Mag Rifle

This is a discussion on 357 Mag Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got an email from Ruger announcing their new rifle in 357 Mag, might be a nice companion to their revolvers. I do like the rotary ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 Mag Rifle

VIP Member

357 Mag Rifle

Got an email from Ruger announcing their new rifle in 357 Mag, might be a nice companion to their revolvers. I do like the rotary magizine in that it offers 5 rounds.

Ruger® Rotary Magazine 77/357™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I am a big fan of pistol caliber carbines, but nearly $800 (yes, I know it will be cheaper in reality) for a 5-shot, bolt action, pistol caliber rifle seems...like a very small niche, and one that I don't need to fill. Sure is purty, though.
    JOHNSMITH likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't really see the point of a bolt action pistol caliber. Lower power AND slow cycle. I always considered a bolt action to be for high power rounds.

For a quick action brush gun I would like however to one day obtain a lever action in 357Mag!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Looks like a total waste in mfg time and money, and the cost is absurd. Go buy a good lever action in .35 7 that can hold a lot more rounds. No advantage or benefit to owning one in my mind.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I am a big fan of pistol caliber carbines, but nearly $800 (yes, I know it will be cheaper in reality) for a 5-shot, bolt action, pistol caliber rifle seems...like a very small niche, and one that I don't need to fill. Sure is purty, though.
    What might that niche be? The California/New York market?

I'll keep my Marlin 1894C to fill my PCC role.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Although I do own a rifle in a pistol cartridge, a Rem 788 in 44 Mag I bought for much less long ago, I tend to agree with the other posters. Way over priced and really does not have a useful value, but a 1894 lever gun would be much better choice.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The 357 magnum in a rifle morphs into a totally different animal. Throwing a 158 or 180 weight bullet at close to 2000 fps or more, it's very close to 30-30 ballistics. Combined with low recoil, sharing ammo with a revolver, and the use of 38spl ammo, it's an extremely viable and versatile gun.

Some may say it's not necassary, or why have that when you can have a rifle caliber completely miss the point, or have a more narrow window of use for a long gun.
    It's also a reloaders dream, and a hunter or woodsmens best friend. It can do multiple tasks in the field from small bear, to small game, varmits, and then be used for SD.
    If you reload, it's virtues are many, and if you buy ammo, you can get 50 rme boxes instead of 20.
    The cartridges of 357/38 are accurate enough to benefit from a low powered scope, and Ruger scope mounting system is capable of mounting or dismounting without change of zero.
    What's not to like?
    ccman likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    What's not to like is all the things already posted... Relatively expensive, low capacity, and bolt action. There are already a number of cheaper, higher capacity, "faster" action rifles in .357 Mag out there.

I agree with everything you've said regarding the usefulness and versatility of a .357 rifle/carbine, I just don't see why you would choose this particular one over some of the other options that already exist.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The 357 magnum in a rifle morphs into a totally different animal. Throwing a 158 or 180 weight bullet at close to 2000 fps or more, it's very close to 30-30 ballistics. Combined with low recoil, sharing ammo with a revolver, and the use of 38spl ammo, it's an extremely viable and versatile gun...

...If you reload, it's virtues are many, and if you buy ammo, you can get 50 rme boxes instead of 20.
    The cartridges of 357/38 are accurate enough to benefit from a low powered scope, and Ruger scope mounting system is capable of mounting or dismounting without change of zero.
    What's not to like?
    Glockman,

Agree with most everything you said about versatility, low recoil, reloading, shared ammo, etc., but the comparison to a .30-30 is a stretch. A hot .357 from a carbine has about 2/3 the muzzle velocity and a lighter bullet, translating to about half the ME of a .30-30. Go out 100 yards and it's 1/3 the energy. Not apples to apples.

Regards,
    Jim

OPFOR & Kilowatt3;

Yes, the capacity vs price is an issue. However, the shooting charcterisics, ie... Accuracy potential of the bolt gun over a lever, is worthy of consideration for those so inclined to go that route. And I'm sure you both know the reason is the one piece stock vs the 2 piece.

As far as comparing it to the 30-30, it's really not that far of a stretch. I am at work and don't have my reloading Manuel for reference, but if I recall, a 150 weight 30 cal from a real world 20 inch barrel is only clicking along at around 2000 fps.
    The 357 may be a 150-200 fps shy of that, so in the brush, that will not be noticed.

No, I would not buy one, as I already have a 16 inch 1894 Marlin in 44, but I certainly could see a use for one .
    Additionally, for the recoil sensitive child or lady, or even man, used within it's limits, it would be hard to beat.
    Besides, scopes on handy leverguns should be illegal.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Glockman, again 2 thumbs up for what and how you said it.

Ballistically a 16” 357 158gr at 1770 fps and a 150gr 30-30 at 2200 out of 20”.
    Close as apples i can get from ballisticsbytheinch and lymans 49th.

There is little at under 125 yards that either can out kill the other[A]. past that to 200 yards, the 30-30 wins.
    But most game ( hunted ethically) is within 60 yards anyways.

And the 357 marlin 1894c is the gun of choice all around as you put forth.

Id leave home in a hurry with that, my 1911 with is 22 upper and red-dot.
    Oh, and the wife...

Stan---the niche i believe is filled by those whose cars have lots of numbers on them--like 450sel and 750iLL
    and the license plates have DDS somewhere on them to.

---------------
    [A]...leaving for another discussion the .05 difference in bullet diameter and change in SD.
    and resulting differences in wound channels. we may examine the wound, but the dead deer ain't much gonna notice the difference.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Thanks Claude for looking that up. Many people do not realize that the ballistics posted on the box are derived from test barrels that are 24-26 inches long. I have loaded enough and chronographed them that I knew they were in fact much closer.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Personally I like it for one big reason, detachable mag. I've been looking for a .357 rifle for awhile, while true its bolt action I am not interested in rapid fire with a rifle. Add in easily reloaded with spare mags and I am sold. Is it the ultimate rifle no, but for someone that one that wants a rifle that is the same caliber as their pistol it sounds sweet.
    More accurate then a lever action, detachable mag, its a Ruger, and around the price of a good lever action of same caliber; I'm putting that on my wish list.
    ccman likes this.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    The idea seems nice on the surface but under closer scrutiny it's not really that practical. The lever action carbines are just way better.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links