HD & decibels (and other stuff, maybe, eventually).

This is a discussion on HD & decibels (and other stuff, maybe, eventually). within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was once worried about hearing protection in case having to shoot in my house. But I thought about it. If you're shooting in your ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD & decibels (and other stuff, maybe, eventually).

RKM
    I was once worried about hearing protection in case having to shoot in my house. But I thought about it. If you're shooting in your house for self defense, there are far more important things to worry about than slight hearing damage. Don't sweat it.

I would like a suppressor for my USP, but haven't gotten around to doing more research on the NFA paper work.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, I was thinking that the suppressor would be the way to go. Unless I'm mistaken, you can just leave a suppressor on. If it's the HD pistol, it just doesn't matter too much. I'm still trying to figure out how suppressors modify ballistic profiles (or if they do), because that would change the ideal choice of round.

As it is now, I can sleep with an earplug in one ear (I need to, to keep ambient noise low, I wake easily and need to be sharp for work) and my other ear sleeps against my pillow. Is there anything I can do to a shotgun to reduce the sound it will send to my ears? I mean, acoustics have a direction of energy transfer, I'd think.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Exactly - if things are that bad already, I'm more worried about my and my loved one's life, rather than their hearing!

Their is an Asian saying: "why worry about the beard, when the head is about to fall."

Yeah, it's like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    A light on your gun is absolutely important, especially if it's a long arm. Anyone that thinks it's a bad idea needs to take a low light tactics course. There's many tactics to deal with these situations.
    +1.

One of the things I learned in my first low-light class was that for as complicated as an off-hand flashlight and/or weaponlight was to use, on a pistol - it's more than doubly as hard to do, on a long-gun, as having the off-hand occupied with a stand-alone light makes things much, much more complicated, particularly if there are other controls (i.e. pump shotgun) to address.

Also, complicated plans go South very quick.
    Again, +1.

The "reaction" plan needs to be kept as simple as possible: for me, I'd be waking up or be roused from, say, reading while in bed - and that'll have my blood racing. Mistakes can easily happen at such times. I've got but two steps in that part of the plan, open the quick-access safe and buckle on my belt (or draw...hopefully, that will not be the case).

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    If you had a pair of muffs that amplify quiet sounds and block out louder ones, then go for it. I would not, however, use ear plugs. If someone is in my house, I want to be able to hear them.
    This is a major point. If you compromise your hearing in an SD setting it may cost you big time. On the ohter hand, not getting ear protection will cost you as well but probably not your life.

Hearing damage can occur at sound levels above 80 db (decibels are on a logarithmic scale so the sound pressure doubles every 3 db and go up by a power of 10 for every 10 db).

Gunshots usually register in the 140 + db range. That is WAY above the 80 db pressure by a factor of 1,000,000 !

If you have a set of 'active' ear protectors and the time it takes to put them on will not cost you your life or limb, USE THEM. Active ear protection selectively amlifies sounds under 80 db and shuts off above that level. You can actually hear better wearing them which is why some peopel wear them while hunting.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use ear protection on the range.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    If you can own suppressors in your state, and can afford them, they do reduce the sound (not to Hollywood levels) and the recoil (a lot of that are the gases coming out of the barrel). They don't affect the ballistics of the projectile. You get best results with subsonic rounds (no crack from the bullet breaking the sound barrier).

The better electronic earmuffs are stereo and amplify quiet sounds you might not normally hear.

An alarm system or barking dog will give you time to do a lot of things like grabbing ear protection and calling cops.

TBH, I had no idea about these electronic earmuffs! They sound like future-tech to me!

I think the trick with most defensive prep is drilling and practice. I mean, I got adapt at getting up, putting on pants, grabbing a baby, and plugging in the kettle in a series of fluid movements, I figure having a four-step 'what to do when the alarm goes' system just needs to be drilled in. Actual drilling, of course.

I'm Canadian, and I cannot figure out the laws regarding suppressors. AFAICT, we're not allowed to import them. I have no idea about manufacturing your own (especially if they don't leave the house).

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Exactly - drill, and drill some more.

If I hadn't drilled, I would not have known that what I thought was the ideal combination code to defeat any of my daughter's probing attempts was actually unreliable and untenable.

If I hadn't drilled, I would not have known that the place where I'd put the backup key to open that quick-access safe was far less than ideal (when I dropped the key during a drill, it went into a space where I had to use a set of tools to get to it).

Drill, and then drill with time-pressure.

It's pretty much impossible to simulate a middle-of-the-night everything-is-going-wrong scenario, but at least by practicing for it in some way or another, diligently and in good faith, we can hope that when the God-forbid does happen, we will not start out behind the 8-ball to begin with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links