smith and wesson mp15 cleaning

This is a discussion on smith and wesson mp15 cleaning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; just got a new smith and wesson mp15 sport, have a couple of questions about cleaning that i hope someone can answer, the ar15 is ...

Thread: smith and wesson mp15 cleaning

smith and wesson mp15 cleaning

just got a new smith and wesson mp15 sport, have a couple of questions about cleaning that i hope someone can answer, the ar15 is new to me.
    My son has a sig sauer 522 rifle, it came with a small tube of that is labeled Mil-Comm TW25 lubricant and it suggested that the bolt assembly be lubed with this after cleaning. Is this also something that would be good to use on the bolt assembly for the smith?
    I purchased a bore snake and was told by a friend that is the miliatary that they just run them through there guns dry and then work them back and forth about a dozen times to clean out the bore.
    Is this a good way, or should you spray the snake with a solvent first, I saw another post on another site where a guy used a foam bore cleaner that he sprayed in and let it soak, then ran a snake through it a few times, put some rem oil on another snake and ran it through, is this a good pratice.
    Hate to ask so many questions, but pretty new to this and just wanting to take care of it the best I can. Had another friend who said he just runs a bore snake sprayed with solvent, then cleans it and then sprays the trigger assembly area very well with wd40, then sprays it it out with air.
    Also, saw this and wondering where can you get one of theseCleaningHolder.jpg

2. Remove Ads

I spray break free clp in mine and let it soak. I also spray it in the BCG. Dont worry cause those evil black rifles like to be ran wet. I've heard nothing but good things about the TW25 you have.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

sgb
    TW25 is a very good lube for use on any firearm, some folks run Mobil Motor Oil others use synthetic grease and the Military uses a milspec CLP.

AR15's run best well lubed regardless of what you choose to lube it with.

Military rifles have chrome lined barrels, your sport model does not. While the nitro-carbonizing on the sports barrel provides a degree of corrosion and wear resistance I would stick to using solvents and patches to clean the bore.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

This is just for me and what I've learned works FOR ME after a number of years and many many rounds. After about 750 to 1,500 rounds I remove my bolt carrier group. Disassemble it and wipe it down, no scraping. I squirt some Slip EWL on it and reassemble. Every 2,000+ I clean the bore though I do wipe the barrel extension when cleaning the bolt carrier.

Other than that, I squirt some Slip before a day of shooting. No loss of accuracy or reliability. It's not a 1911 and can take some neglect, if you don't mind that is...I know how some of us can be, but ts not necessary in the AR.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks, good advice

Run the bolt on the wet side, but don't worry about the bore. A couple of passes with the bore snake is all you need with a rimfire - scrubbing is unnecessary. I don't know what the chamber configuration is like on the rimfire AR lookalikes, but pay attention to bullet lube and burnt powder building up on the breech face and at the extractor cut on the barrel. A toothpick is a decent tool to get the crud out.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Run the bolt on the wet side, but don't worry about the bore. A couple of passes with the bore snake is all you need with a rimfire - scrubbing is unnecessary. I don't know what the chamber configuration is like on the rimfire AR lookalikes, but pay attention to bullet lube and burnt powder building up on the breech face and at the extractor cut on the barrel. A toothpick is a decent tool to get the crud out.
    Guess you know your rifles. :). Rim fire?

Links