Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle.

This is a discussion on Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ring FYI, 2 shots is not a "group".... shot at least 5 That was a three shot group friend. ETA: Those Federal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    FYI, 2 shots is not a "group"....

shot at least 5
    That was a three shot group friend.

ETA: Those Federal rounds are over a buck a piece so while I'm ammo testing I shoot three three shot groups with each ammo type. It's just too expensive and time consuming to shoot 5 shot groups.
    Last edited by atctimmy; June 27th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

I'm glad to see that it worked out well for you, looks like a really sweet shooter.

As for your stiff bolt release, here is a thought for you. I always trained my young pups as I was trained, to just slap the darn thing. Yeah, it might look more tacti-cool to hit it with one finger, but I like to train how I am going to fight. And in a fight, I don't want to waste time searching with my finger for a little button. However, as a lefty, maybe that approach causes some issues. Just a thought.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I'm glad to see that it worked out well for you, looks like a really sweet shooter.

As for your stiff bolt release, here is a thought for you. I always trained my young pups as I was trained, to just slap the darn thing. Yeah, it might look more tacti-cool to hit it with one finger, but I like to train how I am going to fight. And in a fight, I don't want to waste time searching with my finger for a little button. However, as a lefty, maybe that approach causes some issues. Just a thought.
    Hey Buckeye. Nice to see you.

I fixed the problem already. I just had some little machining marks on the front of the bolt creating a little extra friction. It took about 10 seconds on the buffer and I'm good to go. The bolt was not a BCM bolt. They were out of stock so I ordered a bolt from PSA. I plan to upgrade the bolt to BCM when they are back in stock.

As to being a lefty, the trigger finger works pretty well for me. It works almost like the Magpul Bad assist lever. I just reach my finger up and it rests right on the bolt release. It's pretty natural and easy for me to do.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Yeah, I've been running around the country since I got back stateside, haven't been on here all that much.

Glad you got it cleared up. I take it you have figured out an adequate way to hit the mag release as a lefty?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Off hand thumb. I bring my right hand off the forearm and grab the empty mag with my four fingers and push the mag release with my thumb at the same time.

I can either drop the mag if I'm in a hurry (as a civilian I never am) or yank it out and hold onto it.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That was a three shot group friend.

ETA: Those Federal rounds are over a buck a piece so while I'm ammo testing I shoot three three shot groups with each ammo type. It's just too expensive and time consuming to shoot 5 shot groups.
    ahhh... ok.. u need to reload...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

I am having one little problem with the gun though. The bolt release is really stiff and is hard to push with my trigger finger. As a lefty I can reach up with my trigger finger and release the bolt on my M&P. On my new gun it's too stiff. I have to either use my thumb and push HARD or slap it with the palm of my hand. How do I fix this? Do I just polish it up? Or should I replace the whole thing?
    Just keep using it, it'll get easier. Don't polish, don't replace. Also, you should keep in mind it'll be easier with no mag or with a loaded mag than it is with an empty mag in place, just in case you weren't aware of that. What I'd suggest for now, is instead of just reaching with your index finger, adjust your hand a little more forward for leverage and maybe try using your index and middle finger. I'm not a lefty, but I shoot support side pretty much every trip. I don't have any issues with just my index finger, but I adjust my grip forward just a bit for more leverage.

Pretty much every quality carbine class will go over left handed manipulation (support side for most of us) and you quickly learn the most efficient way. For a mag release you can use a Norgon (sp?) support side release. I have 2 KAC ambi lowers and I still use them the same as a standard lower whe shooting support side.

For your mag changes, you can either strip the mag and activate the release with your thumb, then go for the new mag, or you can grab your reload, then remove the empty mag the same way, though you'll handle it similar to the way a right handed shooter would a "tactical" reload. You'll take your reload, and turn it 90 degrees so the bullet is facing down. You'll clasp the mags together then use your thumb to activate the mag release.

I believe the most efficient method would be to remove the mag, then go to the belt or carrier for your reload.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links