Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle.

This is a discussion on Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my new DM type AR to the range today. My upper is a BCM 18" upper with a 410 stainless barrel. I got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle.

VIP Member

Range Report: Bravo Company DM rifle.

I took my new DM type AR to the range today. My upper is a BCM 18" upper with a 410 stainless barrel. I got my good ammo ready and went to the range and...

OH my goodness! Does she shoot nice!

I shot the smallest 100 yd three shot group of my life today with Federal Gold Medal match 69gr Sierra bthp. I shot a bunch of other ammo today and all of my groups were under an inch. For the day the rifle and I averaged about .6 inch groups. Pretty darn good I'd say. Needless to say I'm pretty happy with my new rifle. : )

Here is a pic of my best group. It has two holes almost exactly in one and the third is touching. .163 inches.

target1.jpg

Here is a pic of the new girl.

AR new.jpg
    HotGuns likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Wow that was close...you almost hit the orange thing,nice group,I can do that with one shot groups outta my guns,the second shot always gets a mind of it's own,by the third shot I might as well switch to a shotgun for tighter patterns
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very very nice. That's a great grouping. That chrome barrel is serving you well. Plus it's a BCM. Love the rifle and also kudos on the shop! Man I'd give up a kidney to have a shop that organized and immaculate!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Very very nice. That's a great grouping. That chrome barrel is serving you well. Plus it's a BCM. Love the rifle and also kudos on the shop! Man I'd give up a kidney to have a shop that organized and immaculate!
    I cleaned up that part of the bench for the photo. I keep the peg board organized, but the counter top areas just out of the camera's view are all cluttered up. Unfinished projects go to that workbench to die.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Nice to see it with proper ammo. Truly is a nice gun.

Very nice. It's great when we get our gun we've been waiting on the it performs better than our expectations... Very cool, enjoy it and use it often..

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wow that was close...you almost hit the orange thing,nice group,I can do that with one shot groups outta my guns,the second shot always gets a mind of it's own,by the third shot I might as well switch to a shotgun for tighter patterns
    I can shoot sub MOA 1-shot groups all day... Very rewarding! ;)
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

What made you decide to go with an adjustable stock over a fixed? I ask because my next build is gonna be a similar DM type project. And I love those Sierra bullets, its what I run out of my hunting gun 130 gr BTSP in a 270, also Federal Premium
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just me, but I'd always go with an adjustable stock. If you want rifle length buffer system reliability and feel go for the Vltor A5 receiver extension kit and use the adjustable stock of your choice. This is what I use on all but one of my guns right now and that's just because I haven't gotten around to ordering the last one yet..

I like the SOPMOD in most cases as it's a good balance and a better cheek weld for me over an A2. The UBR is a great stock for precision builds too, nut since you can't use the A5, I won't use them now. I've tried the PRS a number of times and I can definitely see the advantage over an adjustable stock, but since even the precision type ARs I've owned still fill the general purpose role, one way or another, I don't use those either.

Not trying to answer for the OP, just talking about my experience here.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    What made you decide to go with an adjustable stock over a fixed? I ask because my next build is gonna be a similar DM type project. And I love those Sierra bullets, its what I run out of my hunting gun 130 gr BTSP in a 270, also Federal Premium
    Mostly just price. I was able to get a lower with the MOE stock on it for less money than the fixed. I already knew I liked how the MOE fit me so I scooped up a lower with all the MOE parts installed. Even with all of the MOE on there it was about 30 bucks cheaper than a lower with the A2 stock. I don't know why it was cheaper but it was.

To everybody...

I am having one little problem with the gun though. The bolt release is really stiff and is hard to push with my trigger finger. As a lefty I can reach up with my trigger finger and release the bolt on my M&P. On my new gun it's too stiff. I have to either use my thumb and push HARD or slap it with the palm of my hand. How do I fix this? Do I just polish it up? Or should I replace the whole thing?
    Mark Twain:

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I was shooting my DPMS at the range a couple of weeks ago when a guy came in with a Bravo Company he was very proud of. I was impressed with it enough. He asked me if I'd like to try it out to see what a high end AR was like. To be quite honest it didnt perform any better than the DPMS. Maybe its just me. Congrats on a really nice rifle though.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    The bolt release is really stiff

i pull back a taste with my free hand b4 i press the release. it may not be necessary ( and sure ain't if your shooting in combat!) but it keeps the internal parts from stressing.
    or perhaps its just cause i like to do it that way. YMMV.
    by the way.....is it a 1/7 twist? cause mine shoots that way with the 69 grain bullets also. 55gr is...poorly; not even 1 moa. in a Colt H-Bar.

looking good.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    Twist is 1 in 8.
    Mark Twain:

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I was shooting my DPMS at the range a couple of weeks ago when a guy came in with a Bravo Company he was very proud of. I was impressed with it enough. He asked me if I'd like to try it out to see what a high end AR was like. To be quite honest it didnt perform any better than the DPMS. Maybe its just me. Congrats on a really nice rifle though.
    It's not so much what you'll feel, but what you'll have to deal with. Also, the gas ports are smaller on the Bravo and not only *should* it shoot softer if he set it up correctly, it'll also shoot better and be more reliable suppressed.

I don't know what type of shooting it was, but on a static range or even benched, the difference won't be as noticeable at first (especially to someone that doesn't shoot regularly) compared to dynamic shooting with transitions, awkward positions, etc. A BCM is superior in every single aspect to a DPMS.

Not to many will notice the difference between a Kimber and a Nighthawk at first after just a few rounds.

FYI, 2 shots is not a "group"....

shot at least 5

Yeah, but 2 is considered company. ;)

If you want to see the accuracy of a rifle, 10 shot groups are ideal and 5 is a pretty good indicator of what it can do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links