SHTF AR Optic

This is a discussion on SHTF AR Optic within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ACOGs seem nice but I can't get past the price. I can buy another AR plus a thousand rounds of ammo for the price of ...

View Poll Results: Which Optic?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot

31 52.54%
  • 4x32 scope

3 5.08%
  • Other power scope

3 5.08%
  • Irons

22 37.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SHTF AR Optic

VIP Member
    ACOGs seem nice but I can't get past the price. I can buy another AR plus a thousand rounds of ammo for the price of an ACOG. I ask myself what would I like more, an ACOG or a buddy with another gun watching my back? For me I'd rather have two guys with irons than one guy with an ACOG.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

Like I mentioned above, every one of my ARs has irons, mostly KAC. So for me, irons are a given, not a choice between others.

Having said that, in a true SHTF role, I would take the irons over ANY knock-off optic. Pretty soon I'll have a DBAL a2 or PEQ15 on my primary rifle(s). I know a few guys who consider these their backup sights, though they still have irons as well.

With the mk18 and as I replace the URX II with Daniel Defense RIS II on the sr15, I'll have my irons up always.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ACOGs seem nice but I can't get past the price. I can buy another AR plus a thousand rounds of ammo for the price of an ACOG. I ask myself what would I like more, an ACOG or a buddy with another gun watching my back? For me I'd rather have two guys with irons than one guy with an ACOG.
    Though this Vickers/Daniel Defense test shows the insane abuse the T1 can take and still hold zero, the ACOG is even more durable. I have the 4x32 RCO and it's beat up pretty bad after two tours. No issues at all with holding zero. I also have had an Aimpoint M4 for a while and thought that would be the go-to Aimpoint of the ones I own/have owned. After seeing this video and my own experiences, I've realized the T1 is every bit as durable, just smaller.

https://danieldefense.com/Torturetest

It's a lot worse than this pic shows.. The tube is chipped and rough, the has marks and scratches (which is hard to do) and you can see where it's taken hits near the glass. Still 100%.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Any optic not dependant on batteries backed up by irons set at proper BZO
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Any optic not dependant on batteries backed up by irons set at proper BZO

BZO?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    BZO?
    Battle Zero. It doesn't need to be as precise as a true zero. Like we would zero our weapons when we arrived in theater, and then BZO them every month or so, to make sure that they were still good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

There's a Battlefield Zero and an Improved Battlesight Zero. A standard Battlesight Zero is 300 meters where an Improved Battlefield Zero is 50/200 (give or take on the 200 depending on barrel length and load used).

I prefer the IBZO for my type of shooting as my POI is only a couple inches high to a couple inches low out to 250 or so, but can still get clean torso hits at 300. But, its obviously dependent on you environment and "mission".

Lt. Colonel Chuck Santose - Improved Battlesight Zero - http://grburnett.us/guns/ImprovedBattlesightZero.pdf

Great explanation on zeros by one of the "subject matter experts", Molon. - AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; June 28th, 2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i've had a Colt made 4 x 21 on my H-Bar since i got it. different and , some better have appeared over the years. but im trained on the colt and its part of my 3-gun set up.

i see the upsides of many of the new items, esp the co-witness feature. but im too long the old way to change.
    so untill more of the younguns catch me, i aint running faster nor changing my ways.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Administrator
    Buy an AimPoint. The Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic is looking real nice. Battery Life 3 Years Continious ON.

BATTERY LIFE?
    The AimPoint like the Comp M4 is 8 Years continious ON with no battery change.

If the S truly Hits The Fan....we'll all be mighty lucky to make it through 8 years.

I have a Zeiss fixed 4x mounted on a carry handle mount that is see through. I can take the whole thing off in a few seconds and mount it without loss of zero.
    But everyone has to choose their set up based on things they prioritize. This works well for me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    I'd have to say an ACOG on a QD mount with BUIS

Wow, that's a lot of acronyms...

1x4 is a good 300 to 500 man size target optic... for "head" size targets , i would say 16x out to 600y and 20/24x out to 1k

Red dot for me. Keep it simple IMO. Wide field of view. Carry handle mount, or flat top.
    I'm surprised by the number of people voting for irons. I figured red dots would be the run away winner.
    They still are. You asked for optics choices. Standard iron sights are always the back-up. Get a mount where you can use the iron sights along with your optic. Rather difficult sometimes for a civilian to properly use the iron sights available on a standard or mil-spec AR. This is obviously where many manufacturers make their money. Iron sights were good out to 500m back in the day I remember. Things change just like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    What's your choice for a SHTF AR optic?
    Do you mind if I ask why you are asking? I'm just curious if it's a simple poll or you're interested to see the results for yourself because you are deciding on an optic for your shtf AR.

If you are curious for your own needs, do you have access t all the different options? If you already have your set up, which is your choice? I see you're in Indiana.... If you ever make it to South Texas, I pretty much have all the choices listed and you can run them till your heart's content. if I don't have it, I have access to it. That's a running, open invitation to all the forum members. I've met about 6 guys on the forums that came into town or I met up with somewhere (many at classes too) and it's always been great to meet more people.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Do you mind if I ask why you are asking? I'm just curious if it's a simple poll or you're interested to see the results for yourself because you are deciding on an optic for your shtf AR.

If you are curious for your own needs, do you have access t all the different options? If you already have your set up, which is your choice? I see you're in Indiana.... If you ever make it to South Texas, I pretty much have all the choices listed and you can run them till your heart's content. if I don't have it, I have access to it. That's a running, open invitation to all the forum members. I've met about 6 guys on the forums that came into town or I met up with somewhere (many at classes too) and it's always been great to meet more people.
    Well... My AR is more or less a range toy. If S were ever to HTF (which I don't EVER envisioning happening) it would be my primary rifle. I am considering doing a bit of rifle/pistol competition shooting fairly soon and I would prefer not to be swapping out gear and optics and at present I can only afford 1 AR. I have ran a red dot in the past and I liked it but I don't really have much of a frame of reference to draw from. I sold that optic because I wanted to get something a bit lighter. While reading some threads over on AR-15.com I saw some fairly good reviews of a fairly low cost 4x42 acog style scope with a quick release mount. I picked one up and I am happy with it but again....frame of reference. I do have 2 concerns with it though.

1. While I can see the usefulness for shooting 50 meters + I am concerned about close range shooting.

2. The eye relief is just a weeeeeeee bit off when I have my rear flip up sight mounted because the scope isn't quite high enough to clear the sight unless I mount the scope as far forward as possible.

The second issue is what actually spurred this poll. I am trying to decide if I should go through the trouble of finding a different mount or rear flip up sight that will allow me to get he proper eye relief or if I should go with a red dot instead that wont require a change of sights and would actually make the rifle more versatile from 0-50 meters. I've been leaning towards the red dot because I am all about versatility but I was just interested in what others were using.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links