SHTF AR Optic - Page 3

SHTF AR Optic

This is a discussion on SHTF AR Optic within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by azchevy There is no replacement for reliable iron sights. Properly sighted at 50 yards you can hit a human sized target + ...

View Poll Results: Which Optic?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot

31 52.54%
  • 4x32 scope

3 5.08%
  • Other power scope

3 5.08%
  • Irons

22 37.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SHTF AR Optic

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    There is no replacement for reliable iron sights. Properly sighted at 50 yards you can hit a human sized target + - 2" out to 200 yards and - 9" @ 300 yards. I never really liked red dots. The reason being is if you are attached to a military or LE unit, you have a supply chain. So if something goes wrong with the unit it can be replaced and batteries are plentiful. In that situation, yes go red dot. Seeing you specifically mention the mythical SHTF, I say keep it simple. No batteries, no electronics. Simple and easy iron sights. Easy to maintain, easy to keep zero. Low failure rate and reliable without having to use a non renewable power source.
    My supply chain is a battery in my optic and one stored in my grip. That's 10 years of life, and if something goes wrong I still have fixed irons. Red dots are faster at close range and better in low light, there's no way around it.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    co-witness a a-cog and you have a win/win from 25 to 800 yards. for them that read the instructions and spent adequate range time.
    honestly, todays concept of selected targeting goes with higher power optics and weapons. the Gulf Wars made a necessity of fast transitioning from house-to-house to 500 yards.

the term point-blank today is still relevant, though with many combatants wearing armor, the 'good' shot taken during the Viet Nam era, today may not have the same effect.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Can't really co-witness an ACOG. I still run a folder rear BUIS, but it has to stay folded until the ACOG is removed.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links