SHTF AR Optic

This is a discussion on SHTF AR Optic within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What's your choice for a SHTF AR optic?...

View Poll Results: Which Optic?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Red dot

31 52.54%
  • 4x32 scope

3 5.08%
  • Other power scope

3 5.08%
  • Irons

22 37.29%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: SHTF AR Optic

SHTF AR Optic

What's your choice for a SHTF AR optic?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

ACOG.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

That's a hard one. All of my guns have irons. My main optics are Aimpoints (two T1's and an H1) though I have an ACOG 4x32 that I use often as well (also have 4-16 and 5-25 variable optics). Even though I voted for a red dot, if I only had one, I'd have to say an ACOG 4x32 (or a NF or S&B 1-4 or 1-8, but I don't have one anymore). The reason for the ACOG is that I have irons and run just irons regularly, so I'd rather have one magnified and irons that two that aren't magnified.

The above interpretation of SHTF is a long term situation. If SHTF meant more of short term, either having to get out of town for a natural disaster or being stuck like a Katrina type event, then I'd stick with my Aimpoint T1 as pretty much any imaginable engagement would be close. I regularly get out to 200 or 300 and once in a while get out past that. At 100 yards I can keep as tight of groups as the rifle allows with a red dot.

Last edited by jonconsiglio; June 28th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I voted irons but the real answer here is 2 rifles. One lightweight with irons and one set up as a dmr with a nikon bdc

RKM
    My choice is what I have on my AR. EOTech (Bushnell) holosight with a flip-to side 4x magnifier and BUIS's. The flip-to-side magnifier is worth every penny, IMO. Very useful for mid-range stuff, and pops out of the way if you don't need it OR need to use the irons.

Off Topic: I really want to try one of those Magpul AFG, but I love my Grippod too much to give it up. Reason enough to buy another AR

I would say that the best all around for prolonged SHTF is the ACOG.

It has enough magnification to be useful, but not so much that is is un-usable for CQB (in fact it is pretty awesome for it). Eventually the half life of the tritium will catch up with it and lose its illumination, but that is years, which makes even the 50,000 hour battery life of the Aimpoint look rather weak. And it doesn't have any electrical systems to fail.

True it doesn't really do magnified precision as well as a traditional scope, and no magnification is probably better if it is a dedicated under 100 meter gun. But it can do both to an acceptable level for the pro's (Marine Corps infantry). So it gets my vote.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    Aimpoint

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Acogs are nice,Either that or an eotech with BUIS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

For a true SHTF ordeal I voted for my irons. That said, I run a T1 knock off on mine.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

I'm surprised by the number of people voting for irons. I figured red dots would be the run away winner.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm surprised by the number of people voting for irons. I figured red dots would be the run away winner.
    I kind of am surprised by that too, but who knows.

I was very satisfied with the performance of my ACOG during two deployments. That little bit of magnification really helps with target identification at range, and can also be used to just scope things out. I do prefer irons for static style (think know range qualifications) shooting, but for a combat/SHTF scenario, I would go with an ACOG, then a red dot (BUIS is a must for either), then just plain irons.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Acog is nice but overall if it has to do multi role duty I want Illuminated reticl and adjustable magnification. Up close and out far.

1-4x24 - Trijicon, Inc.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

There is no replacement for reliable iron sights. Properly sighted at 50 yards you can hit a human sized target + - 2" out to 200 yards and - 9" @ 300 yards. I never really liked red dots. The reason being is if you are attached to a military or LE unit, you have a supply chain. So if something goes wrong with the unit it can be replaced and batteries are plentiful. In that situation, yes go red dot. Seeing you specifically mention the mythical SHTF, I say keep it simple. No batteries, no electronics. Simple and easy iron sights. Easy to maintain, easy to keep zero. Low failure rate and reliable without having to use a non renewable power source.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    There is no replacement for reliable iron sights. Properly sighted at 50 yards you can hit a human sized target + - 2" out to 200 yards and - 9" @ 300 yards. I never really liked red dots. The reason being is if you are attached to a military or LE unit, you have a supply chain. So if something goes wrong with the unit it can be replaced and batteries are plentiful. In that situation, yes go red dot. Seeing you specifically mention the mythical SHTF, I say keep it simple. No batteries, no electronics. Simple and easy iron sights. Easy to maintain, easy to keep zero. Low failure rate and reliable without having to use a non renewable power source.
    Well, the ACOG requires no battery or power source, really it is just magnified night sights. And night sights are a good thing, right?

I agree that irons should be on the weapon, but in my experience, that little bit of magnification for far out shots, and the quick acquisition using the Bindon Aiming concept for close in work, make the ACOG a jack of all trades type sight.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Well, the ACOG requires no battery or power source, really it is just magnified night sights. And night sights are a good thing, right?

I agree that irons should be on the weapon, but in my experience, that little bit of magnification for far out shots, and the quick acquisition using the Bindon Aiming concept for close in work, make the ACOG a jack of all trades type sight.
    That is a good point. Maybe setting up your removable carry handle and then putting the ACOG on and having both would make me feel more comfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links