Best Value 5.56 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value 5.56 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All of my rifles are extremely fast, have lights, optics and sometimes lasers.... All are well under 9 pounds, usually a good bit less, even ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best Value 5.56 Rifle

All of my rifles are extremely fast, have lights, optics and sometimes lasers.... All are well under 9 pounds, usually a good bit less, even with the ACOG or a T1 and a suppressor. It's just as handy if not handier because now I can see.

If I need light and full auto, I have an mp5 for that. I'll still take an equipped S/A carbine any day of the week. I can't see any argument against using things that make you a better shooter, whether at home, in country, when teaching or training, or on a flat range. The only valid arguments I sew are - I can't afford it and I don't shoot enough for it to matter and won't spend the time training.

If I wanted to save money I'd have found a different lifestyle...

Right that this thread was about training, then comments were made about junk being added and other similar things that really don't make a lot of sense for those reasons. I will buy anything that's quality AND will give me an advantage....plus I still train (not just shoot) three or four times a week.

Lumping all the accessories together as useless, for mall ninjas and whatever other comments were made isn't something that would come from most serious users/trainers/students as they'll all see the true advantage. If they don't, the range time and ammo is on me and I'll be more than glad to show them the differences at my cost.... Military, close protection, competition or weekend dirt shooter.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Jon - Never meant to suggest that ALL accessories were for mall ninjas. It's a question of priorities. Most of us cannot afford full-auto, training three times per week, nor all the gadgets you apparently can. A lot is also driven by the scenario you are preparing for.

In a high-intensity scenario, I'd be all for all the goodies you seem to like. But, that is very very unlikely for me, as a civilian. And I suspect, for most others here as well.

So, I choose to spend my limited funds on a basic long gun, and learn to shoot it as well as I can so equipped, because in the event of a home invasion or local civil unrest (the most likely scenarios) it will serve me just fine as is.

For the record, I do add some limited accessories - a basic sling on my rifles, a butt cuff for extra ammo on my lever gun, and scopes. I'm in suburbia, with homes all around, so I feel a duty to make sure any shot I need to take is as accurate as it can be - hence the scopes (not a red dot). My shotgun is bone stock, with only an elastic butt cuff for some extra shells. That's it. If we ever needed to evacuate, I would not need a bunch of gear to keep my long guns running.

Anyway, we're off topic...take care!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I just got a mini 14. Haven't shot it yet but it feels great and very cost effective.

New Toy
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised at Armalite. Being the company the originally produced the AR-15 rifle, they're low on the list. Of course they're not making military rifles anymore.
    ArmaLite, inc doesn't have a whole lot to do with the ArmaLite of old other than a brand name. Kind of like how RIA and SA are not Rock Island Arsenal or Springfield Arsenal, they just capitalize on a famous name, though I do believe that somebody actually purchased the ArmaLite brand after they ceased operations and resurrected the name. Originally ArmaLite was not in it to manufacture firearms but to design and develop new small arms technologies and sell them or license them to other companies. I think they did make some AR-10s in small quantities and possibly some other firearms, but most ArmaLite designs were sold or licensed to other companies. The new ArmaLite, inc just makes and imports some mediocre firearms. Anybody feel free to step-in and correct me or add more.

Jon, great comments in this thread but full auto/mp5 ($20k full auto), suppressors and ACOG's have little to do with the "best value" 5.56 rifle.

I have a Rock River Arms (RRA) I bought from Hit and Run in GA for about $900 back in 2008. It is great, very tight. It had quad rails and a colaspable stock. I added a a red dot for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Jon, great comments in this thread but full auto/mp5 ($20k full auto), suppressors and ACOG's have little to do with the "best value" 5.56 rifle.
    I went back and looked and it was a reply to something I thought was said. What he really said was "full-on" and I read "full auto". my point was that even owning a lightweight full auto, I'm still all for a decked out AR.

As for the ACOG, it is a "best value" for some when thinking in terms of quality and durability. This thread is about value, not the best "budget" rifle. and, just an FYI, it was just a hair under $17,000 with the suppressor.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Jon - Never meant to suggest that ALL accessories were for mall ninjas. It's a question of priorities. Most of us cannot afford full-auto, training three times per week, nor all the gadgets you apparently can. A lot is also driven by the scenario you are preparing for.

In a high-intensity scenario, I'd be all for all the goodies you seem to like. But, that is very very unlikely for me, as a civilian. And I suspect, for most others here as well.

So, I choose to spend my limited funds on a basic long gun, and learn to shoot it as well as I can so equipped, because in the event of a home invasion or local civil unrest (the most likely scenarios) it will serve me just fine as is.

For the record, I do add some limited accessories - a basic sling on my rifles, a butt cuff for extra ammo on my lever gun, and scopes. I'm in suburbia, with homes all around, so I feel a duty to make sure any shot I need to take is as accurate as it can be - hence the scopes (not a red dot). My shotgun is bone stock, with only an elastic butt cuff for some extra shells. That's it. If we ever needed to evacuate, I would not need a bunch of gear to keep my long guns running.

Anyway, we're off topic...take care!
    I agree and understand. My home defense rifle is a 10.5" with a Surefire scout light and a T1. I just put on a AAC blackout flash hider and soon I'll be adding a suppressor, just need to make a final decision……again.

I know this has gotten off topic due to my posts, and I apologize. I don't care what people decide is best for them. My concern was about people saying that certain additions are for mall ninjas or are a waste. If someone wants to use a 20" Colt SP1 with a handheld maglite, that's great as long as they train with it. The point is, there are better options whether they want them or not, and to call those better options a waste is not very logical. What works for the end user is all that matters, but just because it's all one user feels he needs, does not mean that'll be the same for everyone else.

The post I quoted is a much better way of stating that certain things aren't for you. I completely understand budgeting a certain way as right now I can barely afford to keep certain guns I own let alone buy more or expensive accessories. Who knows, we might go to the range and you could completely smoke me with a basic set up. I wouldn't be surprised, especially after my performance a few weeks ago. What I do know, is I'll outperform myself with an equipped carbine over a simple set up, even though I shoot irons at least once or twice a week.

I hope you, and everyone else, understands I meant no disrespect in any way and wasn't calling you out. This all comes from some recent posts, one in particular about the S&W Sport where one poster was saying that most people don't even need the dust cover or forward assist (which I can understand the logic) but then referred to "extras" not included on the Sport and ones that would be attached to the rails as items for mall ninjas. It just sounded like someone with not as much experience as they think or portray, or at least aren't caught up with modern technology and don't even understand the benefits. It's not the actions so much in these cases as it is the comments and reasoning.

I don't like getting involved in threads anymore but I'll throw my 0.02 also.

I'm currently wearing the uniform and have for the past 11 years (pinning on E7 before the end of the year). I spent all of 2008 deployed in "the sandbox". I'm in the USCG, but did carry an M4 when I was doing security sweeps on tankers, plus the Beretta. I have an AR15 that I built myself once I returned from my deployment. I don't have all the farkles that I've seen on some ARs, but I do have an optic, BUIS, quad rail and light. These, to me, are what you should have on an AR at minimum. This is my opinion, and that of the instructor(s) at Blackwater that ran us through a 3-gun course prior to my deployment.

My step-father was a 22 year veteran of the 82nd airborne and now rebuilds the weapons that come back from Iraq and Afghanistan when they need rebuilds. He is finding more and more soldiers adding "non-authorized" grips, optics, BUIS etc because the soldiers feel like they benifit from them. I remember carrying all that gear (ceramic armor, mags, water, helmet, goggles, drop leg holster, radio etc) and my M4 and it sucked. Would I have added an optic and a light to my M4 if I could have? In a heart beat. BTW, my step-father would have loved an optic during his deployment to Fallujah in the beginning of the war.

Finally my father has an 80's era mini 14 that I've shot. It's a beautiful gun and it's close to the same accuracy as my AR (or his 20" AR) Magazines are ALOT more expensive from what I hear.

Sorry for the continued off post topic, but I love my AR. Plus with my 22lr conversion kit, I can save my reloads for if I really need them (SHTF).
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

twc

Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    Nope...no way.

The Century monkeys' track record with cobbling together roller-locking rifles with a welder and monkey poo just ain't good.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

5-Point, love that BCM. That was one of my two finalists. Ended up up going w/ DD mid, NS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    5-Point, love that BCM. That was one of my two finalists. Ended up up going w/ DD mid, NS.

Great choice, DD and BCM are just great companies with a great product. Win/win either way.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

I ended up getting the Colt6920.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links