Best Value 5.56 Rifle

This is a discussion on Best Value 5.56 Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I'm am VERY new to the rifle scene, but I would love to get started. My definition of value is not "cheap" but a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Best Value 5.56 Rifle

Best Value 5.56 Rifle

Hello,

I'm am VERY new to the rifle scene, but I would love to get started. My definition of value is not "cheap" but a gun with the best value. I consider the Springfield TRP 1911 a great value even at it's $1,500 price tag.

My priorities are high reliability and minimal maintenance.

I'm currently looking at 5.56/.223 rifles primarily for IDPA and secondarily as home defense.

Is this the best caliber for the game/purpose? Honestly, I have no idea. I can be swayed in any direction so any resources or leads are GREATLY appreciated.
    I'm leaning towards 5.56/.223 due to the reasonable cost and the availability of the ammo.

My initial thought was a Ruger Mini-14 in 5.56/233 due to reliability and cost/value, but I haven't gone far beyond that.

Thank you all in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Ruger is a good choice , but so is any of the Ar-15. Pick what you like, you don't have to spend a fortune to have a good rifle. For the money I like Bushmaster, Colt, or Rock River.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

the mini is a great gun,just not a lot of aftermarkets yet,a spikes tactical ar-15 can be had for about 800.00,and there are all kinds of aftermarkets for ar's,good luck with your choice.

Second vote for Spikes or Stag Arms. Both excellent quality and outstanding customer service.

The AR platform opens a world of add ons that will cause you to go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ruger is a good choice , but so is any of the Ar-15. Pick what you like, you don't have to spend a fortune to have a good rifle. For the money I like Bushmaster, Colt, or Rock River.
    Agreed

Wink

Ok, that's IT! I have had it up to HERE with you and your crazy comments that I swear are meant to just irritate the crap out of me!! ;)

You've got 6 months to get down here! (well, maybe a year... But hopefully by then we'll have moved out of Corpus)

OP - Colt makes a great gun as does Bravo Co, Knight's Armament, Daniel Defense, Noveske and LMT. Many can be had for the same price as a Bushamaster, RRA, DPMS or Oly.

If you look at the top of this sub forum, there's a sticky where I linked to Rob Salyer's new M4 chart. It's been published in a few magazines and has actually prompted a couple big manufcturers to step up their game. The links will show you what features are most desirable, why they're desirable and who follows milspec and how closely.

My default recommendation is buy a Bravo Co that's built to spec and extremely reliable from day one for $950 to $1,500 depending on the rail and other furniture. The thing is, the $950 model is just s reliable as the mot expensive.... Unlike companies like Stag that charge extra for milspec upgrades.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Pure price and modularity the kel-tec SU-16 would be a good try, but overall there is too many good AR rifles out there for a very good price. I think the new Colt 6940 is a great starter rifle for anybody looking for a quality 5.56 gun to run matches with and have as an HD gun.

Now if you are willing to part with a little $$$$, you need to look at companies like BCM. Noveske Daniel Defense, and LMT. All very well made rifels and int he grand scheme of things not really that much more money than a good starter AR.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Just paid $800 for a Olympic Arms 5.56 AR....Lifetime warranty, not 1 yr like some AR's

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Jon, I conceed to you that you are more knowledgable in the black rifle category than I, lol. It is just one of those things that I never really dived into. Hell, I can't know EVERYTHING! :)

but I carried one on real bsiness for 8 years, and taught tactical shooting up until last year , and I honestly never saw any issues with any of them. I am old school though. I can take a mil spec rifle and kill you dead from 25 yards to 500 yards, A2 sights and A2 rifle just as well as I can with a $3500 rifle.

But, if you really want me to come down there and show a Texan how it's done, I am aiming for September,:)

PS...Do you think you can let me drive one of those cool foreign cars of yours? Also, and this is on a serious note, I would like to know what makes the difference in a real quality AR and an over the counter type. Do these differences really justify the added cost in the real world?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The ONLY thing Kentucky has on Texas is Johnny Depp! I don't want to embarrass you, so I'll go easy, I swear... Just make sure your wife isn't there to watch the massacre. :D

I'm hanging out with my boy before his nap. I'll answer the other questions within the hour. Stay tuned!

P.S. I carried English books for 12 years.... Doesn't mean I know how to write a paper!! :D (or spell apparently!)
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; June 29th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

We have the Judds, Tom T Hall, Ricky Scaggs , Montgomery Gentry, Keith Whitley, Bill Monroe, Chuck Woolrey, Billy Ray Cirus, John Michael Montgomery, and Lorreta Lynn.
    Then of course there's Charlie Manson , Jim Beam, and me.

I think Texas is just made up of Kentuckians who got out there and didn't have enough money to get home!:D

Op.... Sorry about the hijack, we will get it back on track.

I would like to know what makes the difference in a real quality AR and an over the counter type. Do these differences really justify the added cost in the real world? ... Op.... Sorry about the hijack, we will get it back on track.
    Ha. No need to apologize. I've been guilty of doing that too many times myself. But I would love to hear the answer to the other question you asked.

I really appreciate the feedback so far. When I get the sense that I've just scratched the surface and more confused, then I know I'm getting a lot of good feedback.

This will likely blow up the thread, but I really like the Mini 14 over the AR pattern rifles. Yes, mags cost more, and there is less aftermarket "stuff" for it (though there is a fair bit)...but I prefer the M14/Garand-style action over that of the direct-gas AR. In a SHTF scenario, I can take a Mini apart, and not worry about losing little itty bitty pieces in the field like happens with the AR. And despite what you may hear, the newer Mini 14s (with the tapered barrel) are plenty accurate.

Another option is an AK in 5.56/.223.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I made my first AR pickup about 2 months ago- DPMS Panther Lite A3-$700, 3 yr. Warranty. Added flip up iron rear sight and an ITac red/green adjustable sight. Can keep groups within 1.5" from 75 yds which is the furthest I have been able to shoot it. About 400 rounds down range, no issues-easy to clean. Will shoot all ammo so far.

I would not hesitate to take a mini 14. My only experience is with the older design.
    I once fired 10 shots at a cardboard cutout that was the porportions of the average human body, minus the arms and head. I placed an old button up shirt on it, and at 200 yards , placed all 10 rounds in the torso area, from an improvised position with the factory sights. If you ask me, that's plenty good enough for any shtf scenario.

I also like the operating rod piston system over the AR gas system for hard use. Another important factor is the ability to have finger access to the chamber.

Actually, instead of buying gadgets to hang on one, one is better off to buy a good water purification system, long term storage food, and ammo.
    Justified, Pepsi and bodhisattvya like this.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links