AK Build

This is a discussion on AK Build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am still working on my shotgun build, will post pics of that when I get my surefire fore-end for it. Today I want to ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: AK Build

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

AK Build

I am still working on my shotgun build, will post pics of that when I get my surefire fore-end for it.
    Today I want to bounce some ideas for an AK build off you guys. I already know what furniture I want on the front, going to be going with Tapco Intrafuse quad rails on the fore-end and a Tapco Intrafuse mounted hand-grip. both in dark earth. I am also going to be changing the pistol grip and trigger guard and thats where your suggestions come into play.
    I really like the SAW style grips for the AK but I want my grip to be in dark earth also.
    For optics instead of the traditional approach of mounting them forward of the rear sights I will be installing a dust cover with a manufactured rail already on it and putting a red dot or reflex sight on it.
    Would like some suggestions for good optics under 100 dollars, and a good grip under 40 dollars.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. Grip needs to be in dark earth, sight in black.
    Unless however anyone knows of dust covers and rails in dark earth, in which case pics of those and dark earth optics would be nice.
    Thanks guys, go at it. Include pics, prices, and links if possible and I would love to see some of your tacticool AK builds.
    PLEASE NO UNMODIFIED PICTURES!!
    I already know what a stock AK looks like, thanks.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

mods, can you please correct my spelling, seems i caught a case of stupid from work.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    You can find most of the stuff here.carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page

You have already seen my Short barrelled Saiga so I wont post it again.

Heres a link of exactly what you are looking for...

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....RTH-SAW/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....A-GALIL/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....ERTICAL/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....-COVERS/Detail
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

do you think the long grip would be a problem? thats what I already bought for the front and the rails I looked at seem to be far enough forward to not interfere with mag changes? I am thinking about buying the short one just in case but then I have a long one I don't need....well actually save it for my AR build when I do it.

Senior Moderator
    The short and the long one interfere with changing a mag out...even the drums do. The foward grip forces you to use a weird grip where you have to curve your arm around the mag to use it. For that reason I dont reccomend using a foregrip on the shotgun. It just dosent feel right. The few people that have tried it that I know, eventually took them off.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    You're not going to have a super large selection of high quality red dot optics to pick from for under $100.00

Take a look at the BUSHNELL TRS-25

Shopping around will pull one up for right around $100.00

Good optics under $100 are called iron sights. You simply cannot have "good optics" at that price. You can have something that might work, for a while, but that is all.

Exactly. A good set of irons will run you $125 to almost $400 (KAC) - obviously it's different for the AK though. My honest suggestion for the AK optic, would be to wait, save up your money and buy a Trijicon mini-RMR. I have a pic somewhere on one of my guns, I'll see if I can find it. I've used the Leupold DeltaPoint as well, but would definitely give the edge to the Trijicon. They can be had for a somewhat reasonable process compared to an Aimpont T1, for example. I just saw one the other day new for $325, give or take. I know that's $225 more than you're saying you want to spend, but if you lan n owning this more than a month or two, you net miss the extra money a year from now.

I have to default to the knowledge of the other forum members here on the AK as I know little about it other than how to break one down and shoot it as it is. Obviously though, checking out the AK section of ar15.com, m4carbine or the AK forum will probably get you all the answers you need.

Travis Haley from Magpul was using a tricked out AK for a bit of a one of the carbine classes. Someone posted some pics online and I'll see if I can find it.

Here's the Leupold DeltaPoint on the KRISS. Decent little optic but I much prefer the Trijicon. I know I have a pic I'll do my beat to find it and the Travis Haley pic.

You'll be much happier in the long run with a mini-RMR or just irons over a $100 optic. Nothing good in the world of optics can ever be had for less than a couple hundred+.

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Best cheap red dot? Burris Fast Fire can be had for about $200.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Would like some suggestions for good optics under 100 dollars
    Primary Arms M3
    Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 2)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I got my Nikon Monarch red dot on sale at "Natchez Shooters Supply" for $159.00 right before turkey season. Might want to check there, I know its $59 more than you wanted to spend, but it's hard to beat Nikon optics IMO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And for God's sake, man, don't try to turn your AK into an AR.
    zeppelin03 likes this.

I found the pic of the Trijicon mini-RMR. This is what I'd put on an AK if I was going to put an optic on it. Honestly, I'd probably just leave it alone with wooden stock and hand guard….

I can't stress enough that I'd never recommend any knock-off or Chicom airsoft grade optics for a firearm, especially if it has ANY defensive role at all. Sure, some of the $150 optics will work at the range, but when they take a good hit during a fall or the gun gets hit hard, you'd be lucky if it still worked, let alone hold zero.

There is absolutely no reason that one can't save an extra $100 to $250 for a quality optic that will last, hold zero and be 100% reliable OFF of the bench and out of the indoor range. I don't care if it takes saving $10 a week until you get there. Work the irons until then.

Trijicon on the left and Leupold DeltaPoint on the right.

HotGuns likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here's the amber Fiber Optic/Tritium Trijicon RMR. It's $357 for the 9 MOA model. The LED models are about $100 more. LED is a nice feature but the fo/tritium is bombproof. I just can't say putting a $100 sight on a weapon is a good idea. I'd be cautious of those even if it was for a pellet gun.

Trijicon RMR RM05 9 MOA Dual Illuminated Weapon Sight

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The short and the long one interfere with changing a mag out...even the drums do. The foward grip forces you to use a weird grip where you have to curve your arm around the mag to use it. For that reason I dont reccomend using a foregrip on the shotgun. It just dosent feel right. The few people that have tried it that I know, eventually took them off.
    The shotgun and the AK build are two seperate projects. Sorry for the confusion, would it still affect a 30 round mag?

Jon, I appriciate the input, but this sight is going to be a hold me over sight until I can pick up a Trijicon or Nikon red dot, its just a shooting weapon and I may have found a cheap sight for around 60 bucks. I put the railed dust cover on today and it looks great and is a better fit to the gun than the original dust cover was. Fits in tight, little to no movement whatsoever

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links