SKS

SKS

This is a discussion on SKS within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi i recently got a sks that has its fair share of use the stock is pretty beat up it shoots great and doesn't jam. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: SKS

SKS

Hi i recently got a sks that has its fair share of use the stock is pretty beat up it shoots great and doesn't jam. my question is has anyone ever put the tactical stocks on and made it so you could attach a mag to it, so it wouldnt have to be loaded thru the top. also what sites would i find some good accessories for it

Thanks

ATI SKS Traditional Stocks

This is just my opinion, but resist the urge to "tacti-cool" it out. SKS's usually run best off stripper clips, with a fixed mag. I have seen a perfectly reliable sks get all bubba'd up by somebody wanting to put a detachable mag on it, and then it becomes a jam-o-matic. You could replace the stock with one like above, and then get a bunch of stripper clips, and become proficient in their use, and have a fine SHTF rifle.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

-It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I totally agree with Buckeye. Why put a 100$ into a $150-200 gun? Paint the stock black, use stripper clips and be done with it. The sks is a great rifle as is. Totally reliable and adequate accuracy in a 30 caliber.
    CaptSmith and QKShooter like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

ya that makes sense to not put alot of money into it the only think i wuold like to have a different stock on it is so i could mount some kind of flashlight on it and also beacuse there is a small crack starting to form in the stock right by where your hand goes that i dont want to break one day and i got the rifle right i only have 100 bucks into it but i will have to get some stripper clips for it and try to find a cheap stock for it

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I totally agree with Buckeye. Why put a 100$ into a $150-200 gun? Paint the stock black, use stripper clips and be done with it. The sks is a great rifle as is. Totally reliable and adequate accuracy in a 30 caliber.
    Come on G-Man your killing me here lol, A tacto kewl SKS in the s**t. I have a SKS M that takes AK mags, M4 Stock, and bi-pod grip. Single point sling, and away we go. All for about 300 bucks. Compared to an AR is a pretty good deal.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Come on G-Man your killing me here lol, A tacto kewl SKS in the s**t. I have a SKS M that takes AK mags, M4 Stock, and bi-pod grip. Single point sling, and away we go. All for about 300 bucks. Compared to an AR is a pretty good deal.
    u should throw up some pics of it

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    In my opinion, the fixed mag is a huge advantage to the SKS. In a SHTF scenario and you have to bug out, you grab gun and ammo and you're set, no mags to mess with, no mags to reload. Tactical reloads are much simpler, just top off with strippers. You could, if you wanted to change it over to a 30 round fixed mag for less reloading, but I wouldn't convert it to detachable. If thats what you want just trade it for an AK. But I think you'll find your SKS is a whole lot more accurate than an AK is. Ramline makes a synthetic stock for SKS, I've seen them in catalogs for $79.00. Just my $.02

p.s. heres a link to a synthetic SKS stock at Midway for $51.99 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=278428
    it's not "tactical" but it sure is cheap...uh...I mean affordable
    10thmtn likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1k View Post
    u should throw up some pics of it
    Will do...

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Here are some pics of it. I forgot about the Holographic sight.

100_1570.jpg100_1571.jpg100_1572.jpg100_1573.jpg100_1574.jpg
    Justified and Rigrat like this.

The other reason besides unnecassary expense is the afterarket stocks seem to add weight and bulkiness to an already heavy rifle. Yeah it may look cool, but it doesn't really make the rifle any more useable. When fixed with a detachable magazine they are even heavier and more cumbersome.

I did this to an sks once and the damn thing was almost as heavy as a SAW.

I have at 4 sks rifles sealed in PVC pipe, w/ ammo buried on my property in different locations awaiting their "resurection" day. That's what they are good for.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The other reason besides unnecassary expense is the afterarket stocks seem to add weight and bulkiness to an already heavy rifle. Yeah it may look cool, but it doesn't really make the rifle any more useable. When fixed with a detachable magazine they are even heavier and more cumbersome.

I did this to an sks once and the damn thing was almost as heavy as a SAW.

I have at 4 sks rifles sealed in PVC pipe, w/ ammo buried on my property in different locations awaiting their "resurection" day. That's what they are good for.
    The one I posted pics of isnt to bad. Little more than a decked out AR, but it runs active shooter drills like a dream. All day long all day strong.....

If you watch your local gun shows you can sometimes find the 7.62x39 by the case preloaded in the stripper clips. Makes a great way to aquire additional strip clips.
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

Harryball, it looks great, and as long as you are happy with it that's all that counts. Bullets in; blood out. That's what they are designed to do, regardless of set up or cost.

Harryball, it looks great, and as long as you are happy with it that's all that counts. Bullets in; blood out. That's what they are designed to do, regardless of set up or cost.
    Amen Brother, If you ever get up this way, or I get down there. You and I will have to run some guns.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links