AK test Build (budget)

AK Test Build (budget)

This is a discussion on AK Test Build (budget) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There is currently a topic on this board about cheap optics and budgets. This made me think about a build I had decided to do, ...

Thread: AK test Build (budget)

VIP Member

AK test Build (budget)

There is currently a topic on this board about cheap optics and budgets. This made me think about a build I had decided to do, and I figured I would share with regards to testing and my experience getting this setup.

My primary or shall I say "cool club" AK is an Arsenal. As expected, the fit and finish is great and it's very accurate for an AK. I have used this with BUIS extensively, and have also mounted red dots on it as well. It preforms just like and AK should with excellent reliability.

The new budget build:

1. MAC 90 (Chi Com) sporterized AK47 Cost Range $500-700
    When I received this rifle I took it all apart and inspected everything. The first thing I noticed was that the barrel was thicker then a typical AK, and so was the receiver. A mil spec stamped receiver is 1mm and these are 1.5mm. The build quality is excellent and I would have to say superior to Romanian WSAR's you see. One thing that most Chi Com AK's have going for them is an excellent trigger.

To take the MAK-90 and change the stock to an AK47 standard, you have to comply with 922r. This is a joke as it requires you to change some original parts to US made to comply with the law. Please see the link below if you don't know how this works.
    Gunwiki: 922(r) Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

Looks just like this picture from day one.

2. Strikeforce ATI
    AK-47 Strikeforce Fixed Stock, Handguards & Pistol Grip with 6 Position Buttstock, Adjustable Cheekrest and Buttpad

I am using this package to convert my MAK-90 original stock. I would consider this furniture to be a budget minded purchase and I am looking forward to testing it out. So far all the parts seem to be pretty decent and after a little tweaking (a bit of dremel work) have fit right on. The stock is actually pretty cool and the side folder lock up is surprisingly stable. The only beef I have so far is the large the block is where the hinge is located. I have purchased a Vortex Sparc (see below for details) to fit on the top rail over the gas tube. I personally don't care for the side mount that AK's are known for as I am a cleaner and I like to take the dust cover off. This also kills the idea of a dust cover mount for me as well. I feel pretty confident that the Sparc will not be too front heavy nor get bumped off of zero because the rail over the gas tube is not going anywhere. That sucker is tight and locked in!

3. Vortex Sparc
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-red-dot-scope

I saw MAC's (Military Arms Channel) youtube review of the Vortex Sparc, I trust Sturmgewehre as he is a no no nonsense guy and does some good reviews. I figured I would take a shot and test this red dot and report back on what I think. I have ordered it with MAC's discount code, but have not received it yet. I have to say that it's a darn good deal! Thanks Strumgewehre!

His review
    YouTube - ‪Sturmgewehre's Channel‬‏

Please stay tuned as I will follow up once I am done with the build/testing and I will give you guys a review.
    Attached Images
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Excellent experiment

I had kinda the same thought about the Vortex StrikeFire. It's one step cheaper than the Sparc.

I may delay, until you post your results
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

CHG,

I look forward to following your review.

I have a MAK-90 and an SA 85M (considered among the better european AKs) that have both gone through numerous configurations.

The MAK-90 in addition to the thicker receiver and barrel, also has a double hook trigger as opposed to the single hook on european models. Some eschew the double hook trigger, but I have found it to be smooth and crisp. Another difference is the complete loop over the front sight, as opposed to just the ears on the european models. I find this also a plus.

I presently have a Krebs aperture rear sight on my SA and a stock modified (widened notch) rear sight on my MAK. I find them both good with the Krebs slightly faster in acquisition. My SA has an Ace skeleton folder while the MAK presently has German pebble furniture.

Being a minimalist, neither has optics.

Again, I look forward to your findings.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Excellent experiment

I had kinda the same thought about the Vortex StrikeFire. It's one step cheaper than the Sparc.

I may delay, until you post your results
    I will definitely let you guys know if I think it's worth the dough. You may want to check out the Military Arms Channel and see how long the promo is running.

It's truly a great deal for both optics and Brian at 3 Rivers Precision has been a pleasure to work with.

139.99 shipped for the strikefire

179.99 shipped for the sparc

VIP Member
    So just an update. I have been really compiling data on this build or shall I say re-design. I have definitely learned a little about what I want and how some of922r parts and pieces have changed some of my choices. Stay Tuned.....

Look forward to details re the 922r parts relative to the changes
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Thanks, I hope you like the SPARC as much as I do. I continue to use the SPARC quite a bit and still have a favorable opinion of it. The StrikeFire has also been a good RDS for me. Here's the review I posted on it:

Given the price point, they're both great options. If you know you're going to be going to war, you might want an Aimpoint or EOTech, but I've not found either of these Vortex RDS's to be frail in any way. Also, they have a no-BS warranty should something go wrong. You can't beat that, especially for the price.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Thanks, I hope you like the SPARC as much as I do. I continue to use the SPARC quite a bit and still have a favorable opinion of it. The StrikeFire has also been a good RDS for me. Here's the review I posted on it:

Given the price point, they're both great options. If you know you're going to be going to war, you might want an Aimpoint or EOTech, but I've not found either of these Vortex RDS's to be frail in any way. Also, they have a no-BS warranty should something go wrong. You can't beat that, especially for the price.
    You are the reason why I started testing the Sparc. I have been testing two of them on two different firearms and they have held zero and put up with the abuse so far. By the way your you tube channel has become one of my favorite subscriptions. You do a great job with your straight to the point, no BS reviews. Thanks!

Oh and I all most forgot, welcome to Defensive Carry.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Why not go with a dust cover mount, I am also a cleaner and don't see why its a problem. Removing and replacing the dust cover with an optic on it shouldn't affect zero.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Links