Cleaning your rifle after using corrosive ammo

This is a discussion on Cleaning your rifle after using corrosive ammo within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the most commonly asked questions I get is "how do I clean my rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?" Mostly this is centered around ...

Thread: Cleaning your rifle after using corrosive ammo

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

One of the most commonly asked questions I get is "how do I clean my rifle after shooting corrosive ammo?"

Mostly this is centered around my AK's and the fact I use rail systems that prevent the user from easily removing the gas tube. So I put together a video that shows my method for cleaning a rifle after using corrosive ammo.

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

These are always very informative videos. I only have corrosive ammo, and am still finding the right technique to clean it at the range. This same process could be used with canned air I would think. That way I could clean it by the car.

My last trip ended with my muzzle brake pitting. This was only after a few hours. This may very well be the fix I need.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    These are always very informative videos. I only have corrosive ammo, and am still finding the right technique to clean it at the range. This same process could be used with canned air I would think. That way I could clean it by the car.

My last trip ended with my muzzle brake pitting. This was only after a few hours. This may very well be the fix I need.
    All of the US made muzzle brakes I've seen that are of the AK74 style lack chrome plating inside. The original Russian made brakes are chrome plated which gives you a little more time before it starts to pit due to the corrosive salts. Bare metal doesn't take long to start showing signs of damage. Water will break those salts down on contact. Keeping a spray bottle of water and a can of WD-40 in your range bag will keep the corrosion process from starting if you clean after you're done shooting. Primarily focus on the bore and gas tube of the rifle. You can blow the excess WD-40 off the rifle when you get it home.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been shooting milsurp rifles and corrosive ammo for 25 plus years. I have found with much trial and error over the years that if you use very hot water to flush out the barrel and gas tube on a semi auto rifle it will heat up the metal and the water will evaporate off the metal parts quickly and basically save the "blowing out step". I boil a pot of water on the stove than I use a small funnel and plastic tube to run the water down the barrel and/or gas tube to flush out the salts. This method completely fills the barrel/tube and does a superior job of flushing out the barrel and tube. Then just clean and lube as normal. Never had any rust/pitting issues with my SKS's, AK's or bolt action milsurps. Just requires a bit more work, and its well worth it IMO to shoot the less expensive and plentiful corrosive ammo in these firearms.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I clean all of my firearms, handguns and rifles, with water. It's easier and yields outstanding results. I use warm water in a utility sink in my gun room. So I hit more than just the bore and gas tube with water. I scrub that puppy down with a tooth brush and clean it very well. That's why I use compressed air to blast the water off and to spread the lube around. It works great for me as I've been doing it this way for 20 some years now. But as long as you use water on corrosive salts and dry the water off then protect the metal with oil of some sort, the rest is ancillary.

Links