quality low power optic for AR??

This is a discussion on quality low power optic for AR?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks for the input so far.....up until yesterday (after my range time) I really haven't looked at optics for an AR. Back when I was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: quality low power optic for AR??

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Thanks for the input so far.....up until yesterday (after my range time) I really haven't looked at optics for an AR. Back when I was shooting expert using iron sights, the notion of putting any kind of optic on ARs wasn't even dreamed about. When I returned to Active Duty as a chaplain, my days of officially having a duty firearm closed. Then for years most of my firearms interest was devoted to flat-shooting, longer distance big game hunting (Caribou, moose) or handguns.

Now, dark, ugly cold reality intruded itself into my fond memories of shooting AR with irons--that dark reality being the stark reality of how hard it was to see clearly at distance. So, now, by necessity, I am looking at the new and somewhat confounding world of AR optics..........Texag, you asked what I was willing to spend. BAsed upon some of the comments already posted, I was thinking maybe the 2x ACOG--then I looked it up--whoa!! talk about sticker shock!!!! Now, I'd still like to get something that allows me to engage at ranges from CQB out to maybe 200 yards--but I keep thinking about all the ammo I could buy for the price of an ACOG.......

Thanks guys for helping me try to navigate my way thru this maze of optics.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Thanks for the input so far.....up until yesterday (after my range time) I really haven't looked at optics for an AR. Back when I was shooting expert using iron sights, the notion of putting any kind of optic on ARs wasn't even dreamed about. When I returned to Active Duty as a chaplain, my days of officially having a duty firearm closed. Then for years most of my firearms interest was devoted to flat-shooting, longer distance big game hunting (Caribou, moose) or handguns.

Now, dark, ugly cold reality intruded itself into my fond memories of shooting AR with irons--that dark reality being the stark reality of how hard it was to see clearly at distance. So, now, by necessity, I am looking at the new and somewhat confounding world of AR optics..........Texag, you asked what I was willing to spend. BAsed upon some of the comments already posted, I was thinking maybe the 2x ACOG--then I looked it up--whoa!! talk about sticker shock!!!! Now, I'd still like to get something that allows me to engage at ranges from CQB out to maybe 200 yards--but I keep thinking about all the ammo I could buy for the price of an ACOG.......

Thanks guys for helping me try to navigate my way thru this maze of optics.
    Look at my Nikon Monarch recommendation earlier in the thread. At 2x you will be disappointed pretty fast and wish you have some more magnification.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    c Hawk: I did look at it--thanks--its a great recommendation for a scope, but I'm thinking (maybe incorrectly) that a traditional scope would make engaging close targets more difficult. I like the concept of being able to use both eyes open, non-dominate for keeping an eye on the wider field of vision and the dominant eye into the low-power optic.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

It isn't cheap, but this set up is perfect for me. Aimpoint H1 in front of an Aimpoint 3x on a swivel mount. Both eyes open quick with the 3x swung out of the way or flip up the 3x and reach out to the rifle's full distance of accuracy.

Redstgunnut, I like the set up. I've always wondered how a magnifier effects the dot? How much larger does it make it?

I don't notice a meaningful change. The T1/H1 is a 4MOA dot to begin with, the magnifier does seem to increase the intensity of the dot but not really the MOA.

Good to know it doesn't change it a whole lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links