quality low power optic for AR??

This is a discussion on quality low power optic for AR?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, just got back from the range with my new LMT CQB 16. What can I say--the rifle was flawless. However, while I was able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: quality low power optic for AR??

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

quality low power optic for AR??

OK, just got back from the range with my new LMT CQB 16. What can I say--the rifle was flawless. However, while I was able to nail man sized targets well (I always shot expert before I became a chaplain), what I did notice was my eyesight--not nearly so good as it used to be. Kind of humbling actually.

My main purpose in buying this rifle (apart from fun and nostalgia) is as a SD/SHTF if the economey goes way south for a while and it takes some time before order is restored.....

So, having said that, I'm wondering what are some good quality simple optic options for an old guy's eyes for CQB to say 100 yds.....

If things get way out of hand and for some reason I have to engage targets further out than 100 yds, I have some quality bolt-action magnum tack-drivers with quality scopes.....

here is a picture of our range.....(well--the stupid picture won't load....)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; July 8th, 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: no picture
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

An aimpoint is about as simple as they come. It'll allow you to shoot with both eyes open for an unlimited FOV and is parallax free. Just get behind the optic enough that you can see the dot, put it on the target, and shoot. Battery life ranges from 10k-80k hours (approximately 1-8 years). They are definitely a try before you buy item. If you have astigmatism it can make the dot appear blurry and make it kind of difficult to get a defined aiming point.

If that's the case for you, look into a low power variable scope or a compact ACOG.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

AR-15 accessories, rifle scopes, red dot sights, aimpoint rifle scopes, Bushnell

Some of the best low price RDS out there and many of them are Aimpoint clones.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    do the aimpoints have any magnification? I'm thinking 1, 2 or 3x; I don't need a 15x scope on a carbine--that's what I have a .300 Wthby for......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Aimpoint makes a fixed 3x magnifier as a separate unit from the RDS for about 600. Sounds like youneed something like a Trijicon Accupoint.

Trijicon AccuPoint 1.25-4x24 Rifle Scope - TR21 FREE S&H TR21-3, TR21, TR21R, TR21G, TR21-3G. Trijicon AccuPoint Riflescopes, Trijicon Riflescopes.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I would look into a Nikon monarch. Not as tacticool, but they look great and work well. The first question I would ask is "are you sure?" I have seen many a folk go out to the range with a 3x magnification out to 100 yards and wish to god they had more. This scope is a dandy and would be far better then a really low power scope that does not reach out farther.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-mo...flescopes.html
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Be VERY CAREFUL buying an AimPoint. Especially on Ebay. There are LOTS of fake AimPoints floating around out there. They are true counterfeits and are quite good and accurate copies.
    The scammer sellers are asking nearly full price.
    Buy only from an authorized AimPoint dealer.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

sgb
    Aimpoint for CQB, Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x20 for a little more versatility.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Check out the weaver tactical. Its a very nice 1-5 ffp scope with 30mm tube, nice reticle, zero reset, and great glass. Can be found in stores for 800 bucks... Also has 5 illumination settings in both green and red, and can be used just like a red dot when at 1x. Awesome package!

Many good options available to fit a variety of personal preferences. C-More is what I settled on for my A-4. It is co-wittnessed with a flip-up BUS. Different size dots are available from 2 moa to 8 moa. There is no magnification but at 65 yoa none is needed for 100 - 150 yd and would be a disadvantage at close range. The Sheriff's office nearby, (460 sworn Deputy size FWIW), uses this sight. Take a look-see.C-MORE Systems - Home

I have an aimpoint knockoff that I got from Primary Arms. I am very happy with it. No magnification tho. You'd have to buy a separate magnifier for it.

edit: I believe they sell the magnifiers as well.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

RKM
    I'd recommend a red dot or holosight of your choice with a 3x or 4x magnifier mounted in a flip-to-side. I love the flip-to-side mounts. Gives you a lot of versatility. Close range, 25-50 yards, no magnification needed. Out to 100 yards, 3x-4x never hurts.

do the aimpoints have any magnification? I'm thinking 1, 2 or 3x; I don't need a 15x scope on a carbine--that's what I have a .300 Wthby for......
    Nope. Aimpoint H-1/T-1 have a 4 MOA dot... with my aging eyes I can ring an 18" square gong at 200 yards about 19 out of 20 shots with the H-1.

My first AR wears an EOTech and I can achieve the same performance... but the Aimpoint gets the nod for proven reliability and vastly superior battery life.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

It would help if you gave the amount you are willing to spend for the optic + mount.

I'll echo GAsmitty's assertion that the aimpoint is useful well past 100 yds. I've only stretched my H1 out to 200 yds, but it was easy to keep all hits on a sheet of printer paper from magazine supported prone. I think 300 would be easily doable if the shooter and ammo are up to the task.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links