What slugs can go through my Mossberg

This is a discussion on What slugs can go through my Mossberg within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought that Mossberg 500 package with the feild/home defense barrels and i was wondering about slugs? With the 18.5 smooth bore breacher barrel, I ...

Thread: What slugs can go through my Mossberg

I bought that Mossberg 500 package with the feild/home defense barrels and i was wondering about slugs? With the 18.5 smooth bore breacher barrel, I was wondering if you could shoot slugs out of it? (I'm new to slugs so I dont know much about them) I don't want anything blowing up in my face or anything. If it is ok, has anyone tried, what distance and accuracy does it have for self defense? What type of slugs should I use? As for the 28" smooth bore feild barrel what should i use, the barrel has threads for a choke, should I leave a choke out or put a certain one in? Any help is much appreciated.

I usually keep Brennke K.O. slugs around for when I am going to shoot slugs, they can be shot from a smooth barrel with no problem. There are slugs that are designed to only be fired out of a rifled barrel, so when you find some you want to try, make sure they can be fired in smooth barrels. Usually the Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels only.

A slug will give you good accuracy out to 75-100 yards if you do your part for it. As far as SD use, I keep my shotguns loaded with 00 or #4 Buckshot, and then keep a couple of slugs on the side saddle. Slugs have their place in SD, but due to overpenetration issues, are not the best choice for your main load IMHO. Their use is for when someone shooting at you is behind cover that the 00 can not shoot through.

For your 28" choke, I would not fire any type of round through it without a choke tube in, that sounds like a way to mess up the threads that the choke screws into. If i had that barrel and wanted to shoot slugs through it, I would put in the most open choke you have, and then shoot the slugs through it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If shooting slugs, no choke...cylinder bore only. The only thing I use slugs for is "slug-skipping" contests on the pond...

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Foster slugs and rifled slugs are for smooth bores (they are the same thing) A sabot slug is for a riffled bore. Confused yet? A rifled slug means that the slug itself has rifling cast into the slug, i.e. the slug has its own rifling. In theory this should spin the spiral the slug through the bore and give it stability in flight; however, I have read literature suggesting that what actually gives the slug its stability is the way the weight is distributed... prlly more info than you want, and I cannot seem to find the article.

Moving on...

I shoot slugs through my mossberg 28" modified choke with excellent results at about 30 yards. Haven't tried it any further, but the common consensus is as Buckeye said, decent results to 100 yards. I also shoot them out of the cylinder bore 20" that I have with just about the same results.

Furthermore echoing Buckeye's advice, DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING OUT OF THE SHOTGUN WITHOUT A CHOKE IN IT, it will mess up the threads I have seen it happen in as little as 10 shots.

Best of luck.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    This last weekend I went to Ben Avery shooting facility in Phx while I'm back in town. I put like 10 Remington Rifled slugs through my mossberg 500 28" smooth bore with a mod choke @100 yards. With bead sights I was able to 5 on a 10"x10" target, and the other 5 weren't more than a couple inches off the paper. All I had to do was aim at the top part of target to compensate for about 4.5-5 inches of drop, which is exactly what Remington suggests the drop is on the back of the box @ 100 yards. Hope this helps.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I wouldn't shoot slugs out of any choke smaller than modified,I have a mossy 930 with 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and keep 00 in the mag and 2 00 and 3 slugs in the side saddle,theres not too many things you will need slugs for unless the perp is hiding behind a car and the engine block isn't in the way
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsored Links