Max effective range with a .30-30?

This is a discussion on Max effective range with a .30-30? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by wormy Trade the .30-30 for a good .308 bolt action or .30-06 and dont look back. I thought about the new Ruger ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Max effective range with a .30-30?

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Trade the .30-30 for a good .308 bolt action or .30-06 and dont look back.
    I thought about the new Ruger Scout rifle (.308), with a 10-rd box mag and bolt action.

BUT - the real world price is ~$800 (IIRC), plus a scope. You're looking at easily over ~ $1,000 total.

My Marlin 336 was less than $500, including scope and sling. The difference is significant, and buys a lot of training.

Other bolt actions can be had for less, but are limited in ammo capacity. My lever gun holds 6, and can be topped off easily (I keep an extra 10 rounds on an elastic butt cuff).

The odds of my needing to engage a target at ranges in excess of 100 yards are very low - I was just interested in seeing if it could be done, if necessary. Again, this is for defense - not hunting.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    and can be topped off easily (I keep an extra 10 rounds on an elastic butt cuff).
    That's one of the things I really like about lever actions. A lever gun in .357 with a wheel gun to match is a great combo!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Exactly what I thought, and yup - I have a scope on mine. Thanks!

PS - Your real-world experience is exactly what I was seeking.
    I have no experience with the Hornady rounds, and, I have never chronoed factory fodder, but I would think that the ballistic qualities, ie velocity would be close to what I assemble.

Also, my shots were strung out on the target, and I did miss a few times here and there, but I would guess an honest 60-70 % hit average. Many of my hits would be low in the target, but, a 30 cal bullet hitting a human is gonna do what needs to be done, whether gut, upper leg, or chest.

The trigger is really the only fly in the ointment for extreme shooting at distance.
    And lever guns ate not famous for great triggers.

I admire someone who is willing to learn and work with what they have instead of just going out and buying something.
    I can't find my copy of Jeff Coopers book " The Art of the "Rifle" but he had a quote in there about the difference in experts and good shots. If I find it, I will put it on here.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I grew up hunting deer and hog with a 30-30 and I feel that 150 yards was the max range it was effective. I still have that gun and still use it on occasion but I have a 25.06 that has replaced it for the most part.

Here's the quote:

A marksman is one who can make his weapon do what it was designed to do.

An expert is one who can hit anything he can see, under appropriate circumstances.

A master marksman is one who can shoot up to his rifle.

I always liked that quote.
    HotGuns likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    So - anyone have any real-world experience using the .30-30 at longer distances? Any input appreciated.
    Yeah, I've got lots of it. We would get bored and shoot on a gas line coming down a mountain, across a creek at the bottom and back up on the side that we were shooting from.

The .30-30 has a trajectory like a rainbow. The ballistic coefficient of the bullet isnt much different than that of a brick because of that round nose that it must use duoe to the tubular magazine. That really limits the range.

You are talking maximum effective range. According to what? Your skill or lack of it? Bullet BC? Sight height or sight radius ? Target diameter?

Maximum effective range is a term associated with a target area diameter and the ability to put bullets in that circle. When the bullets start impacting outside of the designated area, then you have gone beyound your maximum effective range.

Lets say you have a 12"bullseye on a sheet of paper at 200 yards. Can you hit the bullseye every time with what you are using?
    The biggest factor at extended range is the ability to judge distance. While its not a big deal to figure out the distance with targets that dont move, its a lot harder to figure it with something like a deer or a hog that moves around. Another fact that complicates the matter is the relative size of the animal. A buck deer can be a full third of a size bigger than a doe, which really makes it look closer than it is. On the other hand, a small deer with a big rack can look further away than it really is.

There are lots of things to factor in if you really want the nitty gritty on maximum effective range. My MER might be different than yours if I shoot a few hundred rounds a year. On the other hand, someone that shoots far off a lot more than me may have a better MER than I do.

You are talking 500 yards and what the 30-30 can do. Sure it can work IF you are capable of doing it. Really though, are you?
    Very,very few people are.

We were at the range the other day shooting at an 18" gong at a measured 180 yards. We werent using a .30-30, we were using my .444. I knew that I would have to hold at the top to put it on target and slapped it every time. The other 3 people kept missing until I told them where to hold. Most of them were putting it in the dirt and throwing dust all over it. While I would feel comfortable with shooting a deer with first shot capability, the other three, that are pretty fair shooters would have run it off and not got another shot.

Its all subjective and its not such a cut and dried answer.

So when you ask what the maximum effective range with a 30-30 is...I would say that it is entirely up to you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I admire someone who is willing to learn and work with what they have instead of just going out and buying something.
    Thanks. New toys are great, but I'd rather learn to use what I've already got. As the sole supporter of a family of 4, it's not like I really have a choice, anyways...
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    So when you ask what the maximum effective range with a 30-30 is...I would say that it is entirely up to you.
    That was kind of my point. I keep reading that the .30-30 is limited to 150-200 yards or so, but it seems that in the hands of a skilled shooter, it can be effective at ranges much farther than that. And remember, I'm talking defense, not ethical hunting.

My limiting factor is practice - I simply do not have anywhere to practice beyond 100 yards. The best I can do is practice good trigger discipline and shooting fundamentals, estimate range correctly, know the bullet drop, and aim accordingly.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    That's one of the things I really like about lever actions. A lever gun in .357 with a wheel gun to match is a great combo!
    It was 100 years ago, and still is. And it won't break the bank. AND...it is more "socially acceptable" than an "assault rifle," which can also matter.
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like you have it figured out.

I dont let people tell me what I can or cant do with a gun.

I've been called a liar for saying that I could hit a gong with a .45 long Colt at 450 yards...yet had several witnesses when I did it.I've been told that I never needed anything over a 40 yard pin on my compound bow, yet I have killed several deer at 50+ yards...the furthest being a 62 yard shot...right through the heart.

It's practice is all it is. Nothing magic about it. Its is knowing where your gun shoots. It ain rocket surgery.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Exactly what I thought, and yup - I have a scope on mine. Thanks!

PS - Your real-world experience is exactly what I was seeking.
    You are hearing what you want to hear. Just because Glockman aka (Bob Lee 30-30 Swagger) says he can do it on the internet don't mean jack. Just look at the technical facts and the bullet drop at 500 yards. I would gladly stand in line with my case of beer and take that bet. Now do it under pressure without 20 shots to hit a stationary target. Remember, you are talking defense here.
    wormy likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You are hearing what you want to hear because I would gladly take that bet for a case of beer with Glockman. I call bullshat! That bullet has a rainbow trajectory.
    So does an M203 grenade launcher, and I've seen soldiers put those grenades right through a window a good ways off.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    So does an M203 grenade launcher, and I've seen soldiers put those grenades right through a window a good ways off.
    Suit yourself. There is a big difference in shooting grenades and bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You are hearing what you want to hear. Just because Glockman aka (Bob Lee 30-30 Swagger) says he can do it on the internet don't mean jack. Just look at the technical facts and the bullet drop at 500 yards. I would gladly stand in line with my case of beer and take that bet. Now do it under pressure without 20 shots to hit a stationary target. Remember, you are talking defense here.
    I am so far beyond skeptism it's not even funny. I don't really understand the disbelief though. A rainbow trajectory? Well yeah, compared to flat shooting bottleneck cartridges. That's why there's this little thing called" sight manipulation?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I am so far beyond skeptism it's not even funny. I don't really understand the disbelief though. A rainbow trajectory? Well yeah, compared to flat shooting bottleneck cartridges. That's why there's this little thing called" sight manipulation?"
    So you are really going to recommend a 30-30 at 500 yards in a defensive situation? Is that what you call Kentucky Windage?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links