Max effective range with a .30-30?

Max effective range with a .30-30?

This is a discussion on Max effective range with a .30-30? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So - I have a .30-30 lever gun which I really like, but there are no ranges near me where I can practice beyond 100 ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Max effective range with a .30-30?

Question Max effective range with a .30-30?

So - I have a .30-30 lever gun which I really like, but there are no ranges near me where I can practice beyond 100 yards. I know that the .30-30 is generally considered a shorter-range "brush gun," and that is what I bought it for - the ability to penetrate light cover at relatively short range in a defensive scenario. There is also the fact that I cannot see much beyond 200 yards in my area, due to homes, vegetation, etc.

That said, in the (unlikely) event I need to take a longer range shot, I would like to know what the .30-30 could do, out to perhaps 500 yards or so. I've seen some YouTube videos of guys getting hits at that range with a lever gun, so I guess it can be done. I would imagine there would be a fair amount of "bracketing" involved, given the ballistics of the round.

Also, I have some of the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo on hand - this is supposed to give better long range performance, and extend the envelope of the cartridge.

So - anyone have any real-world experience using the .30-30 at longer distances? Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

By far not my area of expertise but I would say anything beyond 200 is not effective. Inside of 100 is ideal. 100-150 is stretching it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    So - I have a .30-30 lever gun which I really like, but there are no ranges near me where I can practice beyond 100 yards. I know that the .30-30 is generally considered a shorter-range "brush gun," and that is what I bought it for - the ability to penetrate light cover at relatively short range in a defensive scenario. There is also the fact that I cannot see much beyond 200 yards in my area, due to homes, vegetation, etc.

That said, in the (unlikely) event I need to take a longer range shot, I would like to know what the .30-30 could do, out to perhaps 500 yards or so. I've seen some YouTube videos of guys getting hits at that range with a lever gun, so I guess it can be done. I would imagine there would be a fair amount of "bracketing" involved, given the ballistics of the round.

Also, I have some of the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo on hand - this is supposed to give better long range performance, and extend the envelope of the cartridge.

So - anyone have any real-world experience using the .30-30 at longer distances? Any input appreciated.

Thanks!
    Aw come on man you got that Ruger! She is good clear out to 500 yards!

All kidding a side, most folks I know that shoot 30-30 are about 200 yards and under. I don't own one but that is what I see their distances typically shot at. Hopefully a pro will chime in and correct me if need be.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Shooting a 150- 170g bullet at around 2390 fps its effective out to 200 yards. 500 yards? Forget about it. Optimal distance is 100-150 yards. It loses energy quickly past 200y. IMO the .35 Rem is better brush gun. It makes far bigger holes and will plow through the brush better.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

^^^^^I agree with this. A 200 yd shot would be an emegrency no choice shot. I have done 150 yds with relative ease. Dont know about the ballistics at different ranges. The .35 Rem is a bruiser.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OD*
    A good rifleman can extend the .30WCF's effective range farther than 200yrds.

This is a good little article about Jim Taylor plinking (I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS ANYWHERE NEAR IT'S EFFECTIVE RANGE!) with the .30WCF out to 1130yrds at the Shootist Holiday held at the NRA's Whittington Center.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...0longrange.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    A good rifleman can extend the .30WCF's effective range farther than 200yrds.

This is a good little article about Jim Taylor plinking (I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS ANYWHERE NEAR IT'S EFFECTIVE RANGE!) with the .30WCF out to 1130yrds at the Shootist Holiday held at the NRA's Whittington Center.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ta...0longrange.htm
    Wow... Jim hit the 6x10 target one time out of 70 shots. Any caliber can be fun "plinking" out to 1000y. But if your serious about taking out a threat or puttin meat on the table past 200y get something besides a .30-30.

With the Hornady ammo you could possibly be effective out close to 300y, although Ive never tried it in my .30-30.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leverevolution.htm
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

At my range I can ring the 200 yard (18" square) plate about 3 out of 4 shots from the bench with my 336 with open sights. But that's not saying anything about the downrange whack.

At 500 yards, you'd be "lobbing" the .30-30 round like mortar fire... bullet drop is 12-14 feet, assuming a 100-yard zero.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Wow... Jim hit the 6x10 target one time out of 70 shots. Any caliber can be fun "plinking" out to 1000y. But if your serious about taking out a threat or puttin meat on the table past 200y get something besides a .30-30.

With the Hornady ammo you could possibly be effective out close to 300y, although Ive never tried it in my .30-30.

Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition
    In many instances you're correct, but first the shooter must know his/her own limitations as a marksman, unfortunately, not all shooters are equal, for way too many, 100 yards is past it's effective range.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Well, I've done some poking around the 'net, and it seems that the .30-30 still has over 400 ft-lbs of energy at 500 yards...still plenty lethal. The drop at that range, however, is like 10 feet. At 400 yards, the drop is 5 feet.

Bottom line is that, if you have a .30-30 in your hand and need to take a long range shot, you probably should not assume you can't do it. I was thinking I might "need" a .308 at some point - now I'm probably just going to be happy with what I've got.

Again, if anyone has personal experience with the .30-30 at longer range, I'm interested in your perspective.

here's a chart:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdo...ballistics.pdf

And yes, my 5.56mm Mini 14 shoots flatter, but I'd probably grab the lever gun first for a host of reasons.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The Idea that that a 30/30 or a 35 Rem is going to go through brush with better results is just plain non sense.

I have read about it in the past which led me to do some experimenting on my own, which I will admit was less than scientific.

The articles that I read stated that a longer bullet with more twist is far more likely to hit its intended target than short fat slow spinning ones. The twist rate needs to be a minimum 1/ 9 or better.
    The results were not all that good for the best of them, the bullet would land quite deformed after going through the brush.

I used green brush, Willow and Alder which would be common in most brush hunting. The method used by me was to cut the brush and stick it into the ground lined up so that I had to hit several limb’s to get to the target. Using a Colman fuel can as the target (dry) the ones that made it were punching large irregular holes .
    The 30/30 hits were 1 in 5 to 2 in 5 five, the 06 faired two in five more often, I didn’t have a 35 but the smaller faster twist rates did better 4 out of 5 hits to 3 out of 5.

No need to take my word on this, try it yourself before you shoot an animal with one.

I'm not into hunting - more interested in punching through light cover to get any BGs that might be hiding behind. I trust the heavier .30-30 to the lighter 5.56 for that.

Here is some testing regarding "brush busting" - The Box O' Truth #40 - Deflected Bullets and the Box O' Truth - Page 1
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    The Idea that that a 30/30 or a 35 Rem is going to go through brush with better results is just plain non sense.

I have read about it in the past which led me to do some experimenting on my own, which I will admit was less than scientific.

The articles that I read stated that a longer bullet with more twist is far more likely to hit its intended target than short fat slow spinning ones. The twist rate needs to be a minimum 1/ 9 or better.
    The results were not all that good for the best of them, the bullet would land quite deformed after going through the brush.

I used green brush, Willow and Alder which would be common in most brush hunting. The method used by me was to cut the brush and stick it into the ground lined up so that I had to hit several limb’s to get to the target. Using a Colman fuel can as the target (dry) the ones that made it were punching large irregular holes .
    The 30/30 hits were 1 in 5 to 2 in 5 five, the 06 faired two in five more often, I didn’t have a 35 but the smaller faster twist rates did better 4 out of 5 hits to 3 out of 5.

No need to take my word on this, try it yourself before you shoot an animal with one.
    No ethical hunter is going to take a shot through brush so thick the target is not completely visible. But for hunting in close quarters in thick woods I prefer the .35 over the .30-30. Or better yet my .30-06.

10thmtn
    Trade the .30-30 for a good .308 bolt action or .30-06 and dont look back.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

10thmtn, the 30-30 is defintely a 500 yard gun. With my Winchester I have won several cases of beer shooting humanoid targets at 400 yards, and that is with iron leaf sights.

I use 150 weight Sierra soft points under my reloads of H335 driven at a real world 20 inch barrel and chronographed at 2100 fps. This rifle is sighted in to poi at 75 yards, and crosses the line of sight again at 150.

The trick I use, and it takes a little experimenting, is to see the base of the front sight as aiming reference. If using a scope, for a humanoid target at this range, if you have it dialed in to a 100 yard zero, allow for 1 and 1/2 the height of the target to make hits at 400-500 yards. It can be done all day long, but you have to really tighten up and concentrate on fundementals to do it.

For humans, it will do the job. I'd pass on hunting animals at that range if I had a choice though.
    gasmitty, bmcgilvray and Cory1022 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    10thmtn, the 30-30 is defintely a 500 yard gun. With my Winchester I have won several cases of beer shooting humanoid targets at 400 yards, and that is with iron leaf sights.

I use 150 weight Sierra soft points under my reloads of H335 driven at a real world 20 inch barrel and chronographed at 2100 fps. This rifle is sighted in to poi at 75 yards, and crosses the line of sight again at 150.

The trick I use, and it takes a little experimenting, is to see the base of the front sight as aiming reference. If using a scope, for a humanoid target at this range, if you have it dialed in to a 100 yard zero, allow for 1 and 1/2 the height of the target to make hits at 400-500 yards. It can be done all day long, but you have to really tighten up and concentrate on fundementals to do it.

For humans, it will do the job. I'd pass on hunting animals at that range if I had a choice though.
    Exactly what I thought, and yup - I have a scope on mine. Thanks!

PS - Your real-world experience is exactly what I was seeking.
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links