Which assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Which assault rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sgb Assault rifles are select fire and start around $14,000 for civilian ownership. If you are talking about a semi-automatic variation of ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Assault rifles are select fire and start around $14,000 for civilian ownership.

If you are talking about a semi-automatic variation of an assault rifle the M16/M4 rains supreme. It is a semi-auto version of the current issue rifle for the US armed forces for the last 40+ years ........ the longest serving rifle platform in US history. This rifle has the largest supply chain of parts and ammunition on the market and can be had in any variation that fulfills your need.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck look to the S&W M&P 15 marketed to the LE community.
    I agree...because I picked up an M&P15OR (flat top) the other day...

I have a set of Diamond Head sights inbound...once I get proficient with them, I'll go for the "tronic" stuff...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I agree...because I picked up an M&P15OR (flat top) the other day...

I have a set of Diamond Head sights inbound...once I get proficient with them, I'll go for the "tronic" stuff...
    I also agree on the S&W M&P 15. Plus they also make a M&P 15-22 shooting .22lr for cheap fun.

One suggestion, if you are thinking about a .223, see of you can find it in 5.56. 5.56 can shoot both but not the reverse.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm holding out for an AR-300 (magnum).
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Everyone has different tastes, but for me, a plain jane AR-15, in either rifle or carbine length is my favorite. Open sights, no faldy rawl stuff hanging off of it. Of course, I actually USE one, so I like to keep it simple. Lightweight carbine is about as utilitarian as it gets for a ranch gun.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Since you appear to have plenty of 'toy' money you can get whatever you want. Your stated budget of 1K will buy a lot now. Someone on this forum can prob build you a good one at a good deal. or you could buy the parts and build your own with the help of a knowledgeable friend or member of a local gun club.
    I got my AK a while back because it was just a little over 1/2 the price of an AR during the panic buying. Still waiting to being able to afford an AR.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I ended up with a Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine M4A3. 5.56 , 1/9 twist, chrome lined barrel, $1,050 out the door. Will go out and shoot it this week with luck. Thanks to all for the info.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    I ended up with a Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine M4A3. 5.56 , 1/9 twist, chrome lined barrel, $1,050 out the door. Will go out and shoot it this week with luck. Thanks to all for the info.
    Congrats! I was going to suggest getting one of each since they are tied for first on the anti's hit list.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

first time i shot a ar15 sold my ak47 and bought a dpms dcm model started shooting service rifle matches cant go wrong with iron sights
    Dan Wesson Valor and BrigadeGunLeather M11 perfect combo

Right now Grant at G&R Tactical has Colt 6920's for $980 if you email for that price. $1,050 for any Bushmaster is a bit much... I'm sure it'll be fine, but you could have purchased a better gun for less money.
    atctimmy and OD* like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I vote for the AR-15!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

If you want something larger take a look at the AR-10. It's the Ar-15 big brother using a .308 round. Longer range and is a more formidable round than the .223. Also more expensive ammo but very accurate at long distance.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I own several AR and AK rifles and have been shooting both platforms for 25 plus years....if forced to leave the house with only one rifle.......it would be an AK.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Bushmaster m4 seems to be a good product for the $ spent.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Aw, I'm too late. I was going to be divergent and say Robinson Arms XCR; the combo M-16, AK-47, and FAL, available in light and heavy barrels, convertible for 5.56, 6.8, and 7.62.
    I shoot lefty and simply don't enjoy the control placement on the standard issue M-16/4. XCR is ambidestrous friendly and very fast to pick up. The AR platform seems to have several people more interested in ambidextrous controls so I may give them another chance if I ever buld my own. Or give Troy a couple hundred dollars for all their add ons...

I said earlier AR but I would do AR or a SCAR

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links