Which assault rifle? - Page 4

Which assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Which assault rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pirate I own several AR and AK rifles and have been shooting both platforms for 25 plus years....if forced to leave the ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I own several AR and AK rifles and have been shooting both platforms for 25 plus years....if forced to leave the house with only one rifle.......it would be an AK.

Just curious, why would you pick the Ak? If you had to "leave the house" the ammo for the AR-15 is much lighter to carry allowing you to carry more of it.

Also the AR platform is far superior in accuracy to the AK. If, for example, you needed to hunt with the rifle the AR would be the better tool.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Just saw a Rock River AR-15 with a 1:9 twist and chrome barrel with A1 handguards and stock for 650 at the LGS, if its still there next week its coming home with me
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

twc
    Any love for the Kel Tec SU16 variants?

My vote is for an AR platform, probably the M4 variant and definitely the newer PISTON version, instead of the old gas tube we all (well, us OLDER folks) grew up with. As long as you buy American and not a knock-off from a small manufacturer, you can't really go wrong. I have two: One older Oly and a newer RRA. Love them both. 5.56mm is the way to go -- for all the reasons stated in this thread but for me, most notably for availability EVERYWHERE. Now that I have my main battle array in the AR's and my long rifle capability in my sniper tuned M1A, I'm looking for some specialty items from Kel-Tec:

Already have this and love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-nv...EBD79&index=21

Now looking at these: Kel Tec CNC With the Beretta M92 mag option (‪Kel Tec Sub 2000 Review‬‏ - YouTube) Next week, the gun show is in town and I have already called my favorite supplier (Shoot Straight Florida) to see if they'll bring one along to the show for me. I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

This: ‪RFB Firing Sideways‬‏ - YouTube and THIS:

‪PMR-30 90 rounds in 25 seconds‬‏ - YouTube

This wouldn't be a new purchase for me, but thinking about getting my Garand converted to this: ‪M1 Garand prototype Mini-G with Hart Flash Hider‬‏ - YouTube
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My vote would be for the Ruger Mini 14.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Just curious, why would you pick the Ak? If you had to "leave the house" the ammo for the AR-15 is much lighter to carry allowing you to carry more of it.

Also the AR platform is far superior in accuracy to the AK. If, for example, you needed to hunt with the rifle the AR would be the better tool.
    If you have to ask you honestly don't get it. Like Pirate, I have the luxury of owning both and have been shooting them for years.

1. The AK the most reliable rifle hands down, and it's not even a close contest between it and the AR. When you are talking about weight with regards to carry and ammo, how about adding a gallon of oil to keep that AR wet!

2. Though my AR's are definitely more accurate then my AK's, my AK's are accurate enough.

3. You honestly would choose 5.56/223 over 7.62x39 for a hunting round? I can take down a deer or elk with an AK. You would be hard pressed to do the same with an AR as 223 is known as a varmit round. It could be done, but not very easily.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    If you have to ask you honestly don't get it. Like Pirate, I have the luxury of owning both and have been shooting them for years.

1. The AK the most reliable rifle hands down, and it's not even a close contest between it and the AR. When you are talking about weight with regards to carry and ammo, how about adding a gallon of oil to keep that AR wet!

2. Though my AR's are definitely more accurate then my AK's, my AK's are accurate enough.

3. You honestly would choose 5.56/223 over 7.62x39 for a hunting round? I can take down a deer or elk with an AK. You would be hard pressed to do the same with an AR as 223 is known as a varmit round. It could be done, but not very easily.
    Except that Pirate put up a picture of an AK 74...not a 47. The 74 fires the 5.45 round, which would be very difficult to find in a SHTF situation, as it is not a NATO caliber. Hope you got lots of it stocked up...

This is why I like the Mini 14 - has the op-rod system, but fires the more readily available 5.56. Of course, in a true SHTF situation, I'd probably grab my Marlin 336...fires a heavier bullet, and no need to carry spare mags.

The AK has a reputation as being more reliable than an AR, but individual results do vary...the Saiga AK I had (in .308) was an unreliable and inaccurate piece of junk.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Except that Pirate put up a picture of an AK 74...not a 47. The 74 fires the 5.45 round, which would be very difficult to find in a SHTF situation, as it is not a NATO caliber. Hope you got lots of it stocked up...

This is why I like the Mini 14 - has the op-rod system, but fires the more readily available 5.56. Of course, in a true SHTF situation, I'd probably grab my Marlin 336...fires a heavier bullet, and no need to carry spare mags.

The AK has a reputation as being more reliable than an AR, but individual results do vary...the Saiga AK I had (in .308) was an unreliable and inaccurate piece of junk.
    Well I can tell you that Pirate has an AK47 too and some sweet ones. As far as the argument of nato rounds, you really think people are just going to give you rounds? If everyone is giving everything away in a SHTF situation, then why have a rifle ahead of time? This isn't government cheese! Most likely the government would be taking away your gear instead of loading you up on ammo.

I have plenty of rounds as I prepare, but I think you would have a good chance of finding some 7.62x39 out there. I think your chances are a hell of a lot better then finding some 30-30. The AK47 is the most popular combat rifle in the world and they even outsell AR's in the USA now too. I believe I heard a stat like all the other top combat rifles combined still don't touch the amount of AK's out there.

Now I am painting a picture like I am all about the AK, but I am not. I do like them a hell of a lot though, and in this situation it's my choice over my AR's.

The Military Arms Channel has a good short video on this topic. Check it out.

‪Sturmgewehre's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    First what's your budget?

If its under $500 then your probably looking at an AK
    Under $1,000 then you are looking at a DI AR
    Under $1,500 Sig 556, MSAR, piston AR
    Under $2,000 M1A, higher end AR
    Under $3,000 SCAR, high end AR
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post

This right here..Very sound argument for the AK...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    My vote would be for the Ruger Mini 14.
    Respectfully disagree. The Mini-14 is notoriously fickle when it comes to feeding certain types of rounds. Use a soft lead tip instead of FMJ and you'll get jams out the wazoo. Not something you want to trust your life to in a pinch if your rifle is ammo sensitive.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Respectfully disagree. The Mini-14 is notoriously fickle when it comes to feeding certain types of rounds. Use a soft lead tip instead of FMJ and you'll get jams out the wazoo. Not something you want to trust your life to in a pinch if your rifle is ammo sensitive.
    I agree, I am not a big Mini-14 guy compared to other options for SHTF. Ammo sensitive firearms are a liability in this type of situation especially if it got prolonged and you run out of your own stock. You want to be able to shoot anything you come across.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

Gotta agree with you. Not on the Mini-14, but as regards to ammo availability and as to the utilitarian usefulness of the .30-30 round. I love my Winchester M94 Trapper. But the Lever Action isn't the most hardy one around. I think overall I might just take my Garand .30-06 for all around use SHTF. Big enough to take down any game, hardy enough to use in combat, even as a club if it comes to that and of course there is always that bayonet when things get intimate. But it is very heavy. Not something I'd wanna be humping with a rucksack! However, one of the hard realizations I have had to accept is the truth of age. I am no longer a young captain full of the yellow stuff and vinegar. Ya know? In a real SHTF situation I have to plan in advance and do some serious calculations. Choices have to be made priorities assessed. I have a wife that is a recent cancer survivor. Pups that are as precious to us as children and aging, too. A serious 4x4 that will get us out of Dodge in almost any terrain but also has serious space limitations. I might save up and get a serious off road trailer to give us more transportation options. But that also begs another question, in order to BUG OUT we need a place to BUG OUT to! We might be better served to shelter in place. Got all the guns here and all the ammo and the place was built in 1936 -- tough as DAS BUNKER! So it goes... preps continue as does long range planning.

Not much to add, just another vote for the AK.

As far as ammo, it depends on the situation. I'm too old to be humping around the country. I will probably shelter in place or move by vehicle. If you have enough ammo, you don't have to worry about scrounging any.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Yup...getting older myself. Add a wife and two small kids, and defending in place is the order of the day, unless we are forced out. Running around in the woods? Not so much.

As far as ammo goes - most anywhere that sells rifle ammo has .223, .30-30, .30-06, and .308. 7.62 x 39 is getting more common. 5.45 is not, as far as I can see locally. Of course, you don't necessarily need a ton of ammo - just enough to get the BG and take HIS gun and ammo.

As far as resupply from gubment sources - do yourself a favor, and volunteer with your local police or sheriff auxiliary. It never hurts to have an official good guy ID - especially in a SHTF scenario. I think I could easily get some "spare" ammo from my local PD...but that only helps if you are using common NATO calibers.

The Mini 14 bashing goes on...I wonder how many of the bashers have actual first hand experience with the Mini 14, especially the newer ones. Mine has digested everything I've fed it, though I do not use the cheap steel Russian ammo.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links