Which assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Which assault rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Yup...getting older myself. Add a wife and two small kids, and defending in place is the order of the day, unless ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which assault rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yup...getting older myself. Add a wife and two small kids, and defending in place is the order of the day, unless we are forced out. Running around in the woods? Not so much.

As far as ammo goes - most anywhere that sells rifle ammo has .223, .30-30, .30-06, and .308. 7.62 x 39 is getting more common. 5.45 is not, as far as I can see locally. Of course, you don't necessarily need a ton of ammo - just enough to get the BG and take HIS gun and ammo.

As far as resupply from gubment sources - do yourself a favor, and volunteer with your local police or sheriff auxiliary. It never hurts to have an official good guy ID - especially in a SHTF scenario. I think I could easily get some "spare" ammo from my local PD...but that only helps if you are using common NATO calibers.

The Mini 14 bashing goes on...I wonder how many of the bashers have actual first hand experience with the Mini 14, especially the newer ones. Mine has digested everything I've fed it, though I do not use the cheap steel Russian ammo.
    Agreed again although not on the Mini-14 and I do have quite a bit of experience with them. But each to his own. I also love your citing the tried and true insurgent doctrine of TRADE UP. If you have a knife you can GET a handgun. If you have a handgun you can GET an M4. If you have an M4 you can get as many others as you need or you can expand upward to LMGs, mortars, tanks, APCs the sky is the limit as long as you have the will to execute.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Agreed again although not on the Mini-14 and I do have quite a bit of experience with them. But each to his own. I also love your citing the tried and true insurgent doctrine of TRADE UP. If you have a knife you can GET a handgun. If you have a handgun you can GET an M4. If you have an M4 you can get as many others as you need or you can expand upward to LMGs, mortars, tanks, APCs the sky is the limit as long as you have the will to execute.
    You were the dude who stole my lunch money and my girlfriend. I've never forgiven you.
    10thmtn likes this.

@ ExSoldier - Thanks for the kind comment. However, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that "trading up" only works if you are trained in other weapons...picking up a weapon from a fallen BG is no good if you don't know how to use or maintain it.

Wonder if your experience with the Mini is with an older one, or the newer ones with the tapered barrels? Just curious.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yup...getting older myself. Add a wife and two small kids, and defending in place is the order of the day, unless we are forced out. Running around in the woods? Not so much.

As far as ammo goes - most anywhere that sells rifle ammo has .223, .30-30, .30-06, and .308. 7.62 x 39 is getting more common. 5.45 is not, as far as I can see locally. Of course, you don't necessarily need a ton of ammo - just enough to get the BG and take HIS gun and ammo.

As far as resupply from gubment sources - do yourself a favor, and volunteer with your local police or sheriff auxiliary. It never hurts to have an official good guy ID - especially in a SHTF scenario. I think I could easily get some "spare" ammo from my local PD...but that only helps if you are using common NATO calibers.

The Mini 14 bashing goes on...I wonder how many of the bashers have actual first hand experience with the Mini 14, especially the newer ones. Mine has digested everything I've fed it, though I do not use the cheap steel Russian ammo.
    I also have a couple young ones, and even though the good lord has blessed me I hear where you are coming from brother. By no means was I bashing the M-14, I just have better options (my own preference) for me in my safe. I tell you what, I would not bat an eye if someone handed me one in a time of need. We are splitting hairs for the most part here. As far as ammo, I can even get 7.62x39 at wally world all day long. It's pretty common up here.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Just wanted to throw this out there. I bought a gun already. I get it, you do not like my Bushmaster. Please stop PM me with paid too much or crap gun or just don't like it.
    I got what I got and I like it! Still have yet to shoot it. Waiting for an otis cleaning kit to arrive.
    Thanks to the many people who Pm'd with helpful advice. They did not pick the brand, I did. They just gave me info. 229 was most helpful.
    Some things I have learned. Ar =$14,ooo. OK I meant military style gun. That part I DID need to be educated on. .223 is not 5.56! Good to know. Iron sights rule. Having this is really fun! Best part......you can actually get 5.56 ammo(what the military uses) in varmint form! Really an AR for vermin???
    My point is this. Thank you for the replies.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I own two Mini 14's... Also a colt AR-Hbar. My experience is the Mini 14 function with all kinds of ammo in most any condition. I've never had a stopage with either gun. However the colt tends to malfunction when it get too warm. I've had it to several gun smiths who blamed various issues. The Mini's seem to work just fine. Even with soft point ammo. My buddy has an AC556... No complaints there either.

Spuk!

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I also recommend to check out the CZ 858 assault rifle. It has a very similar design to the AK-47 but has a completely different internal design with a short-stroke gas piston, the caliber is 7.62 x 39mm, the barrel is 19" long, it weighs 7.32 lbs, trigger pull is 5.5 lbs, magazine capacity is 30 rounds, stock is wooden or folding (depending on model), there are two models (Tactical Sporter and Military Sporter) and it usually comes with 4 spare magazines, a bayonet, a magazine pouch, scabbard and the usual other accessories. It is a great high quality and inexpensive alternative for an assault rifle. You can get one at GunBroker.com for $550 - $750 depending on the model and the accessories it comes with.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Ex Member
    I carried a AR in Vietnam against NVA, and VC, with the AK, I saw that a OLD, heavily used, never cleaned AK could run longer than the AR. I own a AK.
    C hawk Glock likes this.

Love the pic yankee...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Just curious, why would you pick the Ak? If you had to "leave the house" the ammo for the AR-15 is much lighter to carry allowing you to carry more of it.

Also the AR platform is far superior in accuracy to the AK. If, for example, you needed to hunt with the rifle the AR would be the better tool.
    This rifle pictured is a AK74 not an AK47 so the 5.45x39 caliber ammo it uses is basically the same size/weight as .223. As far as accuracy of the two rounds (.223 and 5.45) its very close, more shooter than ammo. As far as the platform its self, I personally have found in my 25 plus years of shooting both the AK and AR that the AK is drop dead reliable, more so than the AR (I own several of each) especially in a SHTF situation when cleaning a rifle or just keeping it clean is not an option.
    C hawk Glock likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

twc
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    This rifle pictured is a AK74 not an AK47 so the 5.45x39 caliber ammo it uses is basically the same size/weight as .223. As far as accuracy of the two rounds (.223 and 5.45) its very close, more shooter than ammo. As far as the platform its self, I personally have found in my 25 plus years of shooting both the AK and AR that the AK is drop dead reliable, more so than the AR (I own several of each) especially in a SHTF situation when cleaning a rifle or just keeping it clean is not an option.
    Wouldn't an ak74 require more cleaning than an AR? I would feel better firing 25 rounds through an AR and leaving it be than an ak74 due to its corrosive ammo. Also good luck finding anyone who has 5.45 to trade and good luck trying to trade 5.45 to anyone. It seems to me the ak74 is a very overated shtf rifle.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    Wouldn't an ak74 require more cleaning than an AR? I would feel better firing 25 rounds through an AR and leaving it be than an ak74 due to its corrosive ammo. Also good luck finding anyone who has 5.45 to trade and good luck trying to trade 5.45 to anyone. It seems to me the ak74 is a very overated shtf rifle.
    Wolf and Silver Bear make non-corrosive 5.45 ammo that is cheap and readily available. That's what I generally shoot anyway. I have approx. 6K rounds on hand presently and several spam cans of milsurp in reserve just in case. Of course I have several 1000 rounds .223 stored also so its not really a concern for me. It will all fit in the bed of the truck.

Everyone on this forum is entitled to his opinion but how can you deem any weapon as over rated if you don't own one yourself and have a great deal of personal first hand knowledge of the rifle and its performance and reliability, and how it stacks up to other rifles? I don't think you can and anything else is pure conjecture.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    You were the dude who stole my lunch money and my girlfriend. I've never forgiven you.
    GUILTY. But please DO forgive me. Jesus did, couldn't you?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The difference is that the AK was designed specifically to be used by an ignorant little tribesman from pictogram instructions where no cleaning supplies exist. Designed to be dunked in a running stream, shook out and keep on rockin'! The AR was designed under very different specification and nothing the government does along this line is uncomplicated, at least not until this set of wars (since 911).

VIP Member
    Your response comes from an area of lacking in experience and knowledge. I forgive you for that, as some times we (me as well) all have lessons to learn. Heck I know quite a bit about some firearms, but every single day there are a couple DC members who have the experience and willingness to share with others.

Like Pirate I own both platforms and have shot them extensively. Just because I have my opinions on my own SHTF firearm does not mean each person would agree, but to question the reliability of the AK platform compared to AR's is laughable. My AK will eat corrosive or non corrosive ammo all day long and I would feel very comfortable shooting 25 rounds of either before cleaning. I would argue to say that my AK could do 1,000 rounds if god forbid it came to it. Do you feel that confident in your AR? Well do yah?
    Harryball likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links