Which assault rifle?

Which assault rifle?

This is a discussion on Which assault rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking about getting one and was just getting preliminary info. The mods and extras seem to run the gamut. So here is my ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Which assault rifle?

Which assault rifle?

I was thinking about getting one and was just getting preliminary info. The mods and extras seem to run the gamut.
    So here is my criteria. Rough budget $1,000. Please feel free to add suggestions, future add ons, must have features now(things you buy with the gun that cannot be easily added afterwards) or later , what works,what does'nt.
    Would also be interested in upkeep cost, ammo cost-availability, ease of use. Explanation of gas vs. piston. Web info. Reliability.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

I'm a big fan of the AR platform. There are countless threads here and elsewhere on which one and why?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

AR-15

So far thinking AR-15 or AK-47.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Who are you planning on assaulting??

or are you looking for a magazine-fed, semi-automatic rifle?

What is your purpose? plinking? Home defense? Long range (i.e. you want to reach out and touch someone >500m)? 3-gun?

Basics: learn how to shoot your iron sights

PM inbound.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I vote AR
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Administrator
    Buy yourself a good quality but basic AR. Learn to shoot it bone stock, then start worrying about the crap hanging off of it.
    joker1 and Rock and Glock like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Buy yourself a good quality but basic AR. Learn to shoot it bone stock, then start worrying about the crap hanging off of it.

AK-47 or AR-15? Get the best of both worlds - buy an AK-74.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

sgb
    Assault rifles are select fire and start around $14,000 for civilian ownership.

If you are talking about a semi-automatic variation of an assault rifle the M16/M4 rains supreme. It is a semi-auto version of the current issue rifle for the US armed forces for the last 40+ years ........ the longest serving rifle platform in US history. This rifle has the largest supply chain of parts and ammunition on the market and can be had in any variation that fulfills your need.

If you're looking for the best bang for your buck look to the S&W M&P 15 marketed to the LE community.
    atctimmy and RMS like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Colt 6920 is always a great starting point.
    OD* and remington79 like this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks for the input. Just wanted a basic assault style rifle. Was not going to really attack anything other than targets. To be honest I just sold a business and wanted a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by borglyn View Post
    Thanks for the input. Just wanted a basic assault style rifle. Was not going to really attack anything other than targets. To be honest I just sold a business and wanted a new toy.
    Don't worry about it. A few around here are pretty psycho about the term "Assault rifle" and how/when it's used.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I got an ak and an ar. Tough to choose which I would buy first if I had neither. I may actually sell my AK one day soon.

Only real way to tell is to shoot them and see which works best, or buy both and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Colt 6920 is always a great starting point.
    Or a 6940 with the railed foreend already installed. And I agree learn to use it and shoot with irons, like our soldiers do then start buying doodads.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links