SBR worth all the hoops?

SBR worth all the hoops?

This is a discussion on SBR worth all the hoops? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey folks, I am working on getting a legit HD/ranch rifle and a SBR seems to have so many advantages. Specifically, I am looking at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: SBR worth all the hoops?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

SBR worth all the hoops?

Hey folks,

I am working on getting a legit HD/ranch rifle and a SBR seems to have so many advantages. Specifically, I am looking at the PWS Diablo in 7.62x39 7.5" bbl. Its full auto, long stroke piston, and only $1,600 (before the paper work/tax stamps). It seems like pretty much the ultimate in home defense, but do you think doing and keeping up with all the paper work an and being on the ATF's radar is worth it? I have to admit, I'm still pretty ignorant as to exactly which forms I'll have to fill out and exactly how much it will cost me. Or do you think all the extra money is better spend on ammo, training, and sweet optics?

Thanks,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

JD
    Administrator
    Its not full auto, and if your going to have a long gun for outdoor use, you'll probably want more than a 7" barrel.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Spend the extra money on better optics and training; get into some competition shooting like 3-gun as well. Firing aimed, accurate shots trumps full-auto spray and pray shooting anytime as far as I am concerned.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Do what you want. Firearms ownership isn't always about what's the most tactical, or practical. It's about having something that tickles your fancy. I don't need a super charged Dodge Challenger SRT8 with 600 rear wheel horse power. It's mostly useless on the street. All I really need is something that's easy on gas, small, easy to maintain, reliable... but what fun is that? I want my super charged muscle car.

The same is true with firearms.

Here's my most recent SBR:

Was the paperwork and $200 tax plus the 4 month wait "worth it"? Worth is a subjective thing... but yes, to me it was most certainly worth it. I love this rifle. It's small, light weight, great caliber, easy to use, and sexy as all heck. It's all I would ever need in a carbine for around the house should the SHTF.

So, if that rifle is what flops your mop - DO IT. If you need help figuring out the paperwork, feel free to ask me questions.
    atctimmy, OD*, Bark'n and 1 others like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I shoot a friends M16 w/10" bbl occassionally,one thing about SBR's and Pistols is they are really loud,especially indoors,unless you go really short from 16 to like 10" it's a waste of money going from 16 to 14.5 isn't really gaining you anything IMHO except with a registered SBR you can go shorter than 14.5 with just a barrel change and no extra paperwork
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If its $1600 its not a full auto you can own.

But yes, SBRs are neat, worth the extra, and there are sooooo many of them you aren't on anybodys radar. No agent is going to knock on your door demanding to see your stamp at midnight. See your lawyer for a trust and do a little online research, its easy.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I was going through the same problem. The place near me that would handle the transfer wants $100 for the fee. That is on top of the $200 tax stamp. I am leaning more towards no. At least for now.

I could buy a number of magazines, or a case of ammo with that money. $300 get me a year at the outdoor range I have been attending, and all the gas to get out there.

For me I have settled on picking up a quality AR and AK first, then moving into NFA items after. That will be after training, and range time as well. I can fire my current AK and hit paper, but I got some work to do before I would call myself proficient.

I say get a basic model then get the basics down.

Sponsor
    $100 for a transfer? Call the cops, that's highway robbery!
    jwhite75 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Moderator
    I think its worth it, but then I own some and and I build some.

Lots of people are finding out that there really are advantages to short rifles. The 7.62x 39 is one of the best because it dosent lose just a whole lot of velocity like some other calibers do.

They are great to pack, most can be put in a pack and completely hidden. They are popular with convoy protection details and executive protection because they are very handy to carry in a vehicle, can be brought to bear quickly and the rounds are powerful enough to penetrate other vehicles. They have better ballistics than pistol rounds, can deal with body armor much more effectivley than pistol rounds and they hold enough in a magazine to be effective in a firefight. They can be slung around the back, and you hardly know that they are there until you need them.

Yeah, they cost an extra 200 bucks for the Form 4, but most people that have them think that they are worth it.

1600 bucks sounds like a good deal, being at the low end of the spectrum.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    $100 for a transfer? Call the cops, that's highway robbery!
    Know any places that will transfer an SBR for less?

Senior Moderator
    Dang. I only charge 25 bucks for a transfer.

Yo Military Arms...thats a great looking Krink. Who did it?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

My local ffl charges $20, but i assume than NFA items require a class 3 dealer. I do not believe mine is. If i can find one for less I may get a short barreled AR. 10.5'' ish. Don't know where to find SBR AK's otherwise I would be all over it.

Senior Moderator
    There arent many SBR AKs. You just about have to find an 07/02 willing to make one. I'm the only one in these parts that even do it...and I aint cheap.

Check out GunBroker. They arent going for cheap either.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    I've asked hotguns what his prices were and I nearly crapped myself when I found out. ; ) The boy does nice work but I don't have a champagne budget.

If I were going to go the SBR route I would take a Draco, do the paperwork and then add a stock to it. The gas system is already set up for a short gun.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Moderator
    If I were going to go the SBR route I would take a Draco, do the paperwork and then add a stock to it. The gas system is already set up for a short gun.
    That would be the cheapest route...if you have the skills.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links