our new Remington 597 range report

This is a discussion on our new Remington 597 range report within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, we finally got around to getting my boy and his new rifle to the range. He had shot one of my other .22lr rifles ...

Thread: our new Remington 597 range report

VIP Member

Well, we finally got around to getting my boy and his new rifle to the range. He had shot one of my other .22lr rifles before, but this one his 'his' first firearm.

Its a Remington 597 .22lr in the blue/gray stock (stock is etched "First In The Field"), blue barrel, and came (at the gun show) with a 4x scope. It came with one 10 round mag, and I've purchased another 10 round and a 30 round . 30 rounder was $16, 10 rounder was $12. Gonna get a couple more of each. I added him a sling to the factory studs and bought a Remington blue camo padded case (seen in pic below) from Gander Mountain that matches the rifle.

I setup a target at 25 yards and shot a 10 round mag. At 25 it shoots about 2 to 3 inches above X. I didn't take a pic of my target (don't know why I forgot to do that) but it grouped quite nicely.
    Then I let my son take his first rip at it from the bench. He pulled the first shot off a bit but after I told him about trigger control and having to keep really still, he shot a nice group keeping them all in the black, most near 10 ring. For shooting it the first time, and only been shooting a handful of times with me, I think he did quite well.
    I also had a target @ 25yds with 24 3" black circles numbered 1-24 and the wife or I would call out a number and he had to shoot the one we called out. He hit every one of them in the black.

I like the stock, good weight, great rifle for a kid to grow into and hang onto for the rest of his life.

I also let him shoot my .22 revolver and he thought that was great fun.

For and 8 year old I think he did quite well. Before long he'll be hunting with me .

pictured on table: G26, G17, G21, Keltec P11, S&W 642, unknown brand German made .22lr acquired from a friend, more mags and ammo were on other table
    not pictured: G30 in my paddle holster, my birthday present (happy birthday to me.....), a Ruger GP100 4" blued which the wife was trying out at the moment
    (click to enlarge)
    remington 597.JPG

son trying 597.jpg

son's first target with 597.jpg

table at the range.jpg
    Last edited by 64zebra; July 15th, 2011 at 01:43 AM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

That is really cool! Did you start your son off with a BB gun first? Just curious because my son is almost 8.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

VIP Member
    nope, started off with the Savage 15-A .22 that I got when my dad passed away, single shot, bolt action, heavy stock, zero recoil
    started him off with that, me holding it with him and teaching him to align sights on target and not to put finger on trigger til ready to fire on target

I'm gonna put a pic of it with all my .22 products on the plinker pic thread as soon as I get it cleaned up and put back together
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Very cool Zebra. It sounds like he really had a blast on his trip to the range. And good shooting too!

My granddaughter will be 10 in November. She is dying to go hunting so she can shoot her own deer. She loves venison. My daughter and son-in-law is going to get her into 4-H this fall, but teaching her to shoot is going to be my department.

I suppose this is an opportunity for me to finally get that Ruger 10/22 I've been wanting for a few years now. I have a nice High Standard Sport King target .22 which will be good for her to learn when we move up to handguns, but first I want to start her off with a rifle.

I have an old Winchester bolt action .22 but it is in rough shape. The action is loose in the stock and I'll need to have it rebed and some other work done to it before I would trust it. So, I think I'll just start her off on the 10/22 and start her off with only one round at a time in the magazine.

If all goes well, I'll probably get her one of those single shot Cricket .22 youth rifles for a Christmas present (probably in pink). But the 10/22 will be mine!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Nice collection of firearms ya got there... Family time at the range. Man, I call that a good time anytime, I'll bet your son had a blast...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links