Finished product of AK rebuild with new dust cover, forend, and grip,

This is a discussion on Finished product of AK rebuild with new dust cover, forend, and grip, within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I went with the ATI forend and grip, I decided I liked the looks and ergos of them better than the tapco's and ordered ...

Thread: Finished product of AK rebuild with new dust cover, forend, and grip,

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Ok, I went with the ATI forend and grip, I decided I liked the looks and ergos of them better than the tapco's and ordered em off the internet from Buds, turnaround was one week and I got em today and installed em this evening. The railed dust cover is an NC Star, I know, I know, but it looks and feels solid and I have seen decent reviews for em in with the bad, kidn of like high points, so I figured for 20 bucks, I'll give em a shot and when I do, I will write a range report. I also modified it a bit with new screws, bolts, and loc-tite to increase the strength of the entire mount. Cinched the thing down tight and after 30 rounds, I know, I know, not enough for real testing, it seems to be holding solid. If the railed dust cover dosen't work out, I kind of doubt it will because of all the mixed reviews and my bad luck, but worth a shot, I plan to mount it forward of the rear sight. I just hate having it that far up on my rifles. Now on to optics, I am going with a VertexStrike Fire on either the dust cover mount(after lots and lots of rounds with irons so nothing gets messed up) or the front mount and also a tac light on the 3:00 front mount. This is the project so far and it is going smoothly according to the first mag I have fired with it attached. 282039_223790417659918_100000868843766_649609_3719382_n.jpg
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Not bad looking Chris. But I prefer the original wood furniture. That's just me though....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Chris, pretty good first attempt. I would save a couple more bucks and get the Vortex Sparc. Use the Military Arms Channel discount and it's 179.00 shipped.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Not bad,everybody needs at least one good SHTF rifle
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The optic is a Vortex, I just can't spell lol. Why the Sparc over the Strike Fire? Mike, the original furniture on my AK was black plastic, it needed an upgrade to run it cooler so I didn't burn myself......again. Most of this was for comfort and easier shooting/handling. It just turned out looking cool as well.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    The optic is a Vortex, I just can't spell lol. Why the Sparc over the Strike Fire? Mike, the original furniture on my AK was black plastic, it needed an upgrade to run it cooler so I didn't burn myself......again. Most of this was for comfort and easier shooting/handling. It just turned out looking cool as well.
    Chris,

I like the Sparc because it's less then half the size and weight of the strike fire.

Nice looking rifle. I am partial to the wood, but the synthetics are more durable. Roughly, how much do you have in your AK?

right now counting the cost of the rifle itself and my add ons, about 600 dollers, the ATI kits are pretty cheap, it was 60 bucks total for the forend and grip from budsgunshop.com and the rails on the dust cover cost me around 20 bucks. The sling is a blackhawk 1 point sling that cost me 30 bucks and I just put it on an existing sling mount on the receiver. Depending on the rifle you may or may not have that option and need to install something else. I have been doing alot of shopping around and have seen the same parts for much much more, so I think I got good deals and didn't use the cheapest stuff I could find. once i get my optic, and light add about another three hundred to that

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Chris,

I like the Sparc because it's less then half the size and weight of the strike fire.

How is the battery life and how well does it hold zero?

RKM
    What you need.... is to take a better picture :)

I like my Primary Arms micro dot on my AK. Mounts nice and low so you can get a good cheek weld.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    How is the battery life and how well does it hold zero?
    I use the lowest setting which has been great. The specs say at that setting you would get 3,400 hours of battery life. That is over 141 days of continuous use! LOL.... It's no Aimpoint with battery life, but that is pretty good. Btw it comes with two batteries and mounts for an AK or AR.

I have been shooting the piss out of it on both my AR and my AK and I have not lost zero once. I bought the first one for my own AK build (I will post review this week) and liked it so much that I bought another.

Sponsored Links