California SHTF rifle.

This is a discussion on California SHTF rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Believe me, I know the real answer to this is just to leave California and go home to AZ, but CA is where I work, ...

View Poll Results: Which CA (legal) SHTF rifle

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • SA M1A "Scout"

25 51.02%
  • Ruger GSR

5 10.20%
  • Other...

19 38.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: California SHTF rifle.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

California SHTF rifle.

Believe me, I know the real answer to this is just to leave California and go home to AZ, but CA is where I work, and for now will have to make do.

So we'll have to do the next best thing. I'm having trouble on determining what SHTF rifle I want that is CA legal. I prefer .308 win, but would consider a .223/5.56. Price isn't a big issue, although I'd like to keep it under $2,500. I'm really not a fan of "CA converted compliant firearms" like AR 15's that hold 10 rounds and require a tool to eject the mag. I'd rather just get a rifle that is legal to own in California without any goofy modifications. I've narrowed it down to the Ruger GSR. Its light, and from what I hear a decent rifle (that might be a little over priced). The other option seems to be the SA M1A scout. Hard to beat 10 rounds of semi automatic 7.62 fire, the only downside is it seems to be on the heavier side. Third option... other, but please include a recommendation.

A side note: Ideally this rifle would be the one I take when I have to leave all others behind. I have to be able to take game, defend myself, and travel with it by foot through the desert (weight is certainly a factor).
    Thanks,

SDG
    Last edited by SilenceDoGood; July 18th, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Don't be too quick to rule out a lever action. Wide variety of calibers, both handgun and rifle, quicker to operate than a bolt like the Ruger "Gunsite"
    Just a thought...my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My personal SHTF firearm at this point is an SKS. The ammo is dirt cheap and effective. It can be made lighter with a synthetic stock (without getting too tacticool ). I also love the idea of stripper clips for feeding. They are extremely reliable, need much less cleaning (if any according to some ive seen) and are rugged as can be.

I feel confident with mine. There is much that can be done to it if you decide to move to a free state, but as we are stuck here it seemed the best option to me. Also only about $400 right now give or take. Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

BigJon

Distinguished Member
    Thought about the very thing on my way back "home" to LA LA - Land of perfect weather, beaches, bike paths, healthy lifestyles, non-smoking local poker, and respect for 2A that can only get better. Kel-Tec PLR16 pistol shoots .223 from a 30-rd AR-15 mag for under $600 available at the local TN store but a hundred less elswhere. Don't know much about these. I guess sometimes only a rifle will do. Just don't see a lot of rifle range distance in my town with population of 9K/sq mi.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

M1 Garand! 8 rounds of 30.06 goodness and can be used as a club! (More then once)
    joker1, Cory1022, Bark'n and 2 others like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a yugo sks, but I have trouble hitting targets around 200 yards. To me, this is not good enough for a SHTF rifle.

M1 garand is a good thought for sure. I don't know where to get one outside of the CMP, nothing google can't solve.

I do like lever guns, but I'm leaning toward something magazine fed, but I'll do some research.

Good advice all around, keep it coming.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

So if you are a freedom loving, gun owning, 2nd amendment following American stuck in california hasn't the SHTF already?

No offense GOOD people of california, just popped into my mind.
    Sledge and Eagleks like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    So if you are a freedom loving, gun owning, 2nd amendment following American stuck in california hasn't the SHTF already?

No offense GOOD people of california, just popped into my mind.

lol! I like it. There are a few of us here still fighting the good fight...or moving as soon as the opportunity presents itself!

Good call on the 200yds OP. Thats about my limit as well with the SKS. Didnt realize longer distance was part of your need. Garand or M1A is my vote then, both heavy but cant beat 30.06 or .308!

BigJon

Hey Joker, none taken, as it is a truly valid thought. Just keeping my head down, saving my money, and waiting on my transfer to a free state, hopefully back to AZ or TX.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    None taken, as it is a truly valid thought. Just keeping my head down, saving my money, and waiting on my transfer to a free state, hopefully back to AZ or TX.
    Best of luck with your transfer. I vote something semi-automatic and as big a caliber as you can handle that is readily available.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

How much training do you have?

I love when people talk SHTF...

Do you have a trauma kit set up for SHTF?
    Body Armor?
    Radios for you and your loved ones in the event you can't use cell phone?
    Are you good on how to purify water?
    Land navigation?

Have you taken a 1st aid class in the past 12 months?

As for a SHTF rifle...

A 5.56mm or .308 Bolt gun from Savage or Mossberg. Nice, rugged glass on it. And a 2 or 3 day rifle class to give you the ability to pry performance out of that gun.

Back that up with a pistol class, some tactical medical classes and a bugout class, you will be good to go.

$2,500 for a rifle...Sorry. That's just silly when their is a lot more to SHTF survival than a really cool gun.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    How much training do you have?

I love when people talk SHTF...

Do you have a trauma kit set up for SHTF?
    Body Armor?
    Radios for you and your loved ones in the event you can't use cell phone?
    Are you good on how to purify water?
    Land navigation?

Have you taken a 1st aid class in the past 12 months?

As for a SHTF rifle...

A 5.56mm or .308 Bolt gun from Savage or Mossberg. Nice, rugged glass on it. And a 2 or 3 day rifle class to give you the ability to pry performance out of that gun.

Back that up with a pistol class, some tactical medical classes and a bugout class, you will be good to go.

$2,500 for a rifle...Sorry. That's just silly when their is a lot more to SHTF survival than a really cool gun.
    In fact, yea I do have a trauma kit in my bug out bag... more like a trauma station at my bug out location and a doctor. While I haven't taken a first aid class in about two years, the last one I took was fairly extensive and was with Coconino county Search and Rescue when I was volunteering with them (even got to put it to use a few times). I do have body armor at my bug out location. Thought about bringing it with me to California, but decided that I will probably end up on foot for the majority of this trip considering how terribly packed the streets will be, and much of my on foot trek will be though the desert, which is a solid segway into your next points, water purification and land navigation. I have mapped out various routes to my bug out location AND the sources of water in between. I've been backpacking (mostly in the desert and high desert) since I was a cub scout, land navigation and water purification being an integral parts of doing so.

So... now I'm looking for a SHTF rifle that will fit into all my other gear as a key part of my bug out system. I have a few AR 15's and a 10, but I had to leave those in AZ because I had to work in unfriendly territory. As far as the price point is concerned... well i believe you get what you pay for. If I can find a rifle that is cheaper - great! If not, I will still be okay to take my semi annual firearms class.

I appreciate your concern tho, too many people SHTF is all about bullets and not about the beans.

Administrator
    If you have a few AR's in Az, I'd go with a lever action in whatever caliber trips your trigger. I'd probably choose a 30-30. In a true shtf situation, you'll most likely be heading toasted your AR's anyway, it's not like going furthervwest is much of an option.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    In fact, yea I do have a trauma kit in my bug out bag... more like a trauma station at my bug out location and a doctor. While I haven't taken a first aid class in about two years, the last one I took was fairly extensive and was with Coconino county Search and Rescue when I was volunteering with them (even got to put it to use a few times). I do have body armor at my bug out location. Thought about bringing it with me to California, but decided that I will probably end up on foot for the majority of this trip considering how terribly packed the streets will be, and much of my on foot trek will be though the desert, which is a solid segway into your next points, water purification and land navigation. I have mapped out various routes to my bug out location AND the sources of water in between. I've been backpacking (mostly in the desert and high desert) since I was a cub scout, land navigation and water purification being an integral parts of doing so.

So... now I'm looking for a SHTF rifle that will fit into all my other gear as a key part of my bug out system. I have a few AR 15's and a 10, but I had to leave those in AZ because I had to work in unfriendly territory. As far as the price point is concerned... well i believe you get what you pay for. If I can find a rifle that is cheaper - great! If not, I will still be okay to take my semi annual firearms class.

I appreciate your concern tho, too many people SHTF is all about bullets and not about the beans.

In that case...

M1A configured as light as you can go, with an ACOG.

Something that you can use to reach out and crush someone with, but will still be usable at 25 yards for smacking someone at urban distance.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Why not just get a Mossberg 590/Remington 870 12 gauge pump shotgun? They are very affordable, ammo is cheap and readily available and you can shoot lots of different cartridges depending what the situation may request (slugs for long distance shots or defense, buckshot for defense and bird shot for hunting). I think it would make a very solid SHTF firearm for California, given the tight firearm restrictions.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links